Jump to content

Photo

Been engaged a long time -- how to share the news that the wedding is finally happening?


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gresley

gresley
  • Jr. Member
  • 164 posts

    Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

    Hi all,

     

    We've been engaged for 2+ years, but planning has been difficult. Between moves and jobs and just life happening, the wedding was on the back burner for a long time. Now that we're actually starting to make plan, set dates, does anyone have any tips on how to share this with family? Specifically, a lot of the family who doesn't live near by has long since assumed that either a) we called it off and were too ashamed to tell anyone or B) we eloped and were too ashamed to tell anyone. 

     

    I wanted to tell everyone that it's happening in a fun and exciting way. I thought of sending out a newsletter-style STD, where we not only shared the details of the wedding, but also some more backstory about what's been going on and why it hasn't happened yet.

     

    Did anyone do anything similar like that? Is it inappropriate to make a STD into a newsletter?

     

    Any tips? :)



    #2 CAKnight

    CAKnight
    • Jr. Member
    • 197 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Key West, FL

    Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

    I don't know if I have heard of a newsletter STD. If you have some e-pics along with what you described, I think it could be cool.

     

    On the forum, you can also find passport STDs. Since I know that you are going on a cruise, I think that could set the scene! Examples for pages could include your dating story, your engagement story, e-pics, join us aboard the high seas (or something like that), whatever other info you would like them to know. 

     

    Here is the link to the passport STDs: 

    Hi all,

     

    We've been engaged for 2+ years, but planning has been difficult. Between moves and jobs and just life happening, the wedding was on the back burner for a long time. Now that we're actually starting to make plan, set dates, does anyone have any tips on how to share this with family? Specifically, a lot of the family who doesn't live near by has long since assumed that either a) we called it off and were too ashamed to tell anyone or B) we eloped and were too ashamed to tell anyone. 

     

    I wanted to tell everyone that it's happening in a fun and exciting way. I thought of sending out a newsletter-style STD, where we not only shared the details of the wedding, but also some more backstory about what's been going on and why it hasn't happened yet.

     

    Did anyone do anything similar like that? Is it inappropriate to make a STD into a newsletter?

     

    Any tips? :)



    #3 gresley

    gresley
    • Jr. Member
    • 164 posts

      Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

      Ooh, awesome! Thanks for the ideas, and being super helpful, as always :)



      #4 CAKnight

      CAKnight
      • Jr. Member
      • 197 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 11, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Key West, FL

      Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

      You're welcome! Glad I could be super helpful for you! 

      Ooh, awesome! Thanks for the ideas, and being super helpful, as always :)



      #5 Jenny2014

      Jenny2014
      • Member
      • 503 posts

        Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

        I feel like I have seen a newsletter on here from another bride who is in a similar position. They were together for many, many years, were engaged but the wedding just wasn't a priority to them. Now, they are getting married, so they did a newsletter to their family and friends to let them know it was happening!

         

        I thought it was one bride, but I'm not able to find the post where I had seen it.... but it has been done! I don't know if she used it for a STD, but it did go out to guests as a fun way to let them know what was going on!

         

        If I find it, I will send you the link :)



        #6 gresley

        gresley
        • Jr. Member
        • 164 posts

          Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

          Originally Posted by Jenny2014 

          I feel like I have seen a newsletter on here from another bride who is in a similar position. They were together for many, many years, were engaged but the wedding just wasn't a priority to them. Now, they are getting married, so they did a newsletter to their family and friends to let them know it was happening!

           

          I thought it was one bride, but I'm not able to find the post where I had seen it.... but it has been done! I don't know if she used it for a STD, but it did go out to guests as a fun way to let them know what was going on!

           

          If I find it, I will send you the link :)

          Thanks so much! This sounds perfect :D



          #7 Jenny2014

          Jenny2014
          • Member
          • 503 posts

            Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

            Originally Posted by gresley 

            Thanks so much! This sounds perfect :D

             

            I found it! hahaha!

             

            http://www.bestdesti...ates-march-2013

             

            Lydia is going to use it as part of her OOT bag, but I remembered it was amazing how it was worded! Take a look and see if it works for you!



            #8 gresley

            gresley
            • Jr. Member
            • 164 posts

              Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

              Originally Posted by Jenny2014 

               

              I found it! hahaha!

               

              http://www.bestdesti...ates-march-2013

               

              Lydia is going to use it as part of her OOT bag, but I remembered it was amazing how it was worded! Take a look and see if it works for you!

              Awesome, thank you SO much for finding it!!!



              #9 Lydia1120

              Lydia1120
              • Site Supporter
              • 406 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 20, 2013
              • Wedding Location:Varadero, Cuba
              • LocationCobourg, Ontario

              Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

              Hahahahahahaha how funny that stumbled on this post......thanks Jenny and gresley, it's actually a real great way to announce it and add in there to STD...very cute...wish I had thought of it before I had sent out my STD cards :-(
              17 Years in the Making....and we love each other more now then ever!
              Post Wedding Items for Sale: http://www.bestdesti...various-items/ 

              Wedding Dance Mash Up Video -  https://www.youtube....h?v=80jO9-B_BVI


              #10 Jenny2014

              Jenny2014
              • Member
              • 503 posts

                Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

                Originally Posted by Lydia1120 

                Hahahahahahaha how funny that stumbled on this post......thanks Jenny and gresley, it's actually a real great way to announce it and add in there to STD...very cute...wish I had thought of it before I had sent out my STD cards :-(


                I hope you don't mind me sharing it! I just remembered how awesome it was.... and when she was asking about a newsletter type announcement, I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had seen it!






                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users