A little thing I like to call "Operation Wedding Dress" (aka, my dress is too small... but it won't be soon!)

So why are you getting married almost a year apart? 

I know the veil is part of it. I will have to think about it some more. It will help when I find the dress...that way if I feel like the veil is missing, then I know it's a go! 

I was in S. Ontario (for a day. lol) last summer. When I went to Niagara, it was summer then too. It's actually not bad up there. Snow in May? Something like that seems mentally perplexing! haha

Hmm...I don't really like wine. But, I'm willing to try most foods/drinks at least once. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 View Post

Exactly! I am very excited to see what she does, and know I will love it anyways, because someone made it for me. I debated on whether or not to have a veil because of the wind, but I'm only getting married once (ha, okay, well twice since we are doing the legal thing this year, and then the beach wedding next year), I don't want to miss out on the veil experience. To me, it makes me look a bride, so.... for me, it was a non-negotiable.

Niagara Falls is beautiful all year round, but you appreciate it much more when it is summer here. Southern Ontario is gorgeous in summer and fall.... but winter, ugh, I absolutely hate it here. Especially this year... winter has gone on and on and on. Take today, it is warm and sunny out and I was so excited to see that. Still am. And worried because it is currently snowing in Texas, which means that is probably coming here, and I DO NOT want snow in May.

No, ice wine isn't just Canadian wine (but how freaking awesome would that be!). We have regular wine (Niagara wine has really stepped it's wine game up within the past few years). Ice wine is when they make wine using frozen grapes- so it is super sweet. I LOVE it, and if you like sweet things, I would suggest buying a bottle at some point in your life. It can be very expensive (as all delicious things are), but so worth it. It is an acquired taste- people either love it, or dislike it. I adore it, my best friend, who drinks the exact same kind of wine on a regular basis as me, despises it. It's a dessert kind of wine, and you can only have a little bit of it at a time (because of the sweetness).

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...sometimes things are a little backwards on here. Aren't they? lol 

But, knowing my weight and height before my name seems like the introduction for something like Overweight Anonymous. haha

My FH has not been out of the country yet. So, he doesn't quite know what to expect. But, FL is humid so it's somewhat comparable. 

Confession...sometimes I will be wearing a cute outfit where unfortunately my stomach sticks out too much. I just picture it as a baby bump and smile bc like you, at least I will know that it will be cute. Then the moment is over....and I go grab my Spanx!!! lol

Thanks for the advice about my hair and makeup...it seems so obvious too! But, I probably would have left the house with no makeup and my hair in a bun or something. lol

LOL- that is funny how I knew your weight and height before your name. Oh well! Such is a wedding board experience!

Yes, FI will be looking into what he wants to wear- he is thinking a grey suit, and he has been there, knows the heat and humidity, so..... I am leaving it up to him! If he wants to sweat in a full suit, that is on him! I will try and advise him, but he is a fashion-conscious kind of man, so he will do what he wants, regardless of what I have to say!

Ugh, the "fat" baby bump is the worse. But at least I know how cute I will look with one- I just only want it for a real pregnancy, not this fat roll LOL

Yes, eat before you go. AND, make your makeup and hair something that you like. Not necessarily wedding like, but maybe a bit more than just on a day to day basis. More, going out kind of makeup and hair. The worst is when you put on a beautiful dress, and your hair is a mess and you're wearing no makeup/ it's all rubbed off. It completely ruins the moment for you (I know from experience LOL)

I just realized that I posted the answer to this thread on another one and since I exited the screen, I do not remember which one it was -__- . but yea I guess 7 months or so would be the right time to buy the dress. that would give me enough time to slim down a bit and do a better estimation of what size I will be on the big day.It is terrifying; what if the dress is too big or even worse TOO SMALL! ahhhhhhhh... i have no idea.

I am not sure of what type of dress either. I have never tried a wedding dress on! I looked on websites and I seem to like every style on the models but I think what will determine the style I go with will be how much the style flatters my figure because I know for sure that those dresses will not look like that on me! I would love to try a mermaid or trumpet to see what they look like on me. but I also like A-line dresses so I guess I like everything except for a big ball gown or a short dress.

You posted in the "Any other 2014 brides here getting an early start?". I happen to know since I just saw your other post. :)

Too big = alteration. Too small= motivation. 

Well, at least, you have eliminated 2 choices! I like so many of them too. I need to start looking more seriously...I don't want to wait until the last minute, then just pull a dress off the rack! undecided.gif

Originally Posted by Jessica Correa View Post

I just realized that I posted the answer to this thread on another one and since I exited the screen, I do not remember which one it was -__- . but yea I guess 7 months or so would be the right time to buy the dress. that would give me enough time to slim down a bit and do a better estimation of what size I will be on the big day.It is terrifying; what if the dress is too big or even worse TOO SMALL! ahhhhhhhh... i have no idea.

I am not sure of what type of dress either. I have never tried a wedding dress on! I looked on websites and I seem to like every style on the models but I think what will determine the style I go with will be how much the style flatters my figure because I know for sure that those dresses will not look like that on me! I would love to try a mermaid or trumpet to see what they look like on me. but I also like A-line dresses so I guess I like everything except for a big ball gown or a short dress.

Ahhh, I think we all need a little Overweight Anonymous in our lives to keep us healthy and sane haha.

I agree, Florida is probably very similar in climate, so at least there won't be such a huge adjustment.

In my deepest, darkest moments, when I am alone, I sometimes rub the small budge and pretend it is a baby. Then I realize I am crazy, and suck it back in, moving on hahaha. I swear, men think we are complicated and nuts, but if they only knew HOW nuts and crazy we really are, NONE of them would ever choose to marry us hahahahahaha.

Yeah, that was essentially how I went to the Bridal show. I just threw my hair up (which was semi-greasy from having curly hair that is thin and requires a ton of product to tame the frizz :( ) and put on a basic day make up. So I felt rather less than bridal when Iw as trying on the dresses. Just helping you with a boost of self esteem! If you like your hair and make up, the dresses will feel more beautiful!

Originally Posted by CAKnight View Post

Yes...sometimes things are a little backwards on here. Aren't they? lol 

But, knowing my weight and height before my name seems like the introduction for something like Overweight Anonymous. haha

My FH has not been out of the country yet. So, he doesn't quite know what to expect. But, FL is humid so it's somewhat comparable. 

Confession...sometimes I will be wearing a cute outfit where unfortunately my stomach sticks out too much. I just picture it as a baby bump and smile bc like you, at least I will know that it will be cute. Then the moment is over....and I go grab my Spanx!!! lol

Thanks for the advice about my hair and makeup...it seems so obvious too! But, I probably would have left the house with no makeup and my hair in a bun or something. lol

Getting legally married in Mexico is a pain in the ass. You have to translate documents into spanish, get an apostille seal, and have a blood test while there. It was just ridiculous that we had to do all that to get married in a different country, when we don't have to do any of that here!

So we are getting legally married here one year ahead of time. I know we could do it at any point in time, but we thought because our wedding is so far off, why not do something a little bit special this year. That way, there isn't a different date to worry about, it will all be on the same day, we've just really been married for one extra year. Only our parents and my grandma will be there. I initially had taken out the exchange of rings, and the vows, but I might add a quick version of the vows back in, since my grandma will be there, and not at our DW wedding.

Trust me, snow in May is the worst thing to happen here. We are all so over winter- not that it was particularily bad. We actually didn't have a crazy amount of snow, it has just been consistently cold since October, and we are all over it. We get a few days here or there, where the temperature spikes and sun comes out and everyone is joyful, happy, and so grateful to be alive. Then it gets cold again, and we all return to our hermit lifestyles, hating the entire human population haha.

So why are you getting married almost a year apart? 

I know the veil is part of it. I will have to think about it some more. It will help when I find the dress...that way if I feel like the veil is missing, then I know it's a go! 

I was in S. Ontario (for a day. lol) last summer. When I went to Niagara, it was summer then too. It's actually not bad up there. Snow in May? Something like that seems mentally perplexing! haha

Hmm...I don't really like wine. But, I'm willing to try most foods/drinks at least once. 

Operation Wedding Dress is more like a nice way to word Overweight Anonymous. haha

You know the humidity is similar. But, the sun feels hotter there (it's only logical considering it's closer to the Equator). 

Yeah, if they only knew, I wonder how they would react! Let's not find out! lol

I know the concept of trying on clothes and not looking the way you will in the outfit. I do that all the time! I leave the house in something comfy, hair up, light makeup...then I try on something and wonder what it would look like with my hair done, the right bra, etc.

Yeah I have read about all the hoops you have to jump through just to get married there. That's sweet! It's like a one year engagement anniversary for your wedding? Then the wedding in MX will be like a vow renewal? Are you getting married in MX because the location is symbolic? When will you consider your anniversary date to be? This year or next year?

Haha. Surprisingly FL can be like that sometimes. Esp it will be hot and humid, then cold. Sometimes it is the opposite. But, that is rare! Have you ever been to FL? 

Ahhh, I think we all need a little Overweight Anonymous in our lives to keep us healthy and sane haha.

I agree, Florida is probably very similar in climate, so at least there won't be such a huge adjustment.

In my deepest, darkest moments, when I am alone, I sometimes rub the small budge and pretend it is a baby. Then I realize I am crazy, and suck it back in, moving on hahaha. I swear, men think we are complicated and nuts, but if they only knew HOW nuts and crazy we really are, NONE of them would ever choose to marry us hahahahahaha.

Yeah, that was essentially how I went to the Bridal show. I just threw my hair up (which was semi-greasy from having curly hair that is thin and requires a ton of product to tame the frizz :( ) and put on a basic day make up. So I felt rather less than bridal when Iw as trying on the dresses. Just helping you with a boost of self esteem! If you like your hair and make up, the dresses will feel more beautiful!

Getting legally married in Mexico is a pain in the ass. You have to translate documents into spanish, get an apostille seal, and have a blood test while there. It was just ridiculous that we had to do all that to get married in a different country, when we don't have to do any of that here!

So we are getting legally married here one year ahead of time. I know we could do it at any point in time, but we thought because our wedding is so far off, why not do something a little bit special this year. That way, there isn't a different date to worry about, it will all be on the same day, we've just really been married for one extra year. Only our parents and my grandma will be there. I initially had taken out the exchange of rings, and the vows, but I might add a quick version of the vows back in, since my grandma will be there, and not at our DW wedding.

Trust me, snow in May is the worst thing to happen here. We are all so over winter- not that it was particularily bad. We actually didn't have a crazy amount of snow, it has just been consistently cold since October, and we are all over it. We get a few days here or there, where the temperature spikes and sun comes out and everyone is joyful, happy, and so grateful to be alive. Then it gets cold again, and we all return to our hermit lifestyles, hating the entire human population haha.

Operation Wedding Dress is more like a nice way to word Overweight Anonymous. haha

You know the humidity is similar. But, the sun feels hotter there (it's only logical considering it's closer to the Equator). 

I know the concept of trying on clothes and not looking the way you will in the outfit. I do that all the time! I leave the house in something comfy, hair up, light makeup...then I try on something and wonder what it would look like with my hair done, the right bra, etc.

Yeah I have read about all the hoops you have to jump through just to get married there. That's sweet! It's like a one year engagement anniversary for your wedding? Then the wedding in MX will be like a vow renewal? Are you getting married in MX because the location is symbolic? When will you consider your anniversary date to be? This year or next year?

Haha. Surprisingly FL can be like that sometimes. Esp it will be hot and humid, then cold. Sometimes it is the opposite. But, that is rare! Have you ever been to FL? 

I agree! We shall keep it Operation Wedding Dress!

Yes, so our legal wedding will be on our one year engagement anniversary (out 11 year dating anniversary), and then the big wedding will be on our two year engagement anniversary, one year legally married anniversary (and twelve year dating anniversary)! HA! See why we don't want to change the date hahahahaha. I guess it will be like a vow renewal, though I didn't want it to be that way..... but it will mean a lot to my Baba (grandma), if we say some form of vow in front of her.

Yes, we are getting married at Dreams because we got engaged there September 2012. So it's a great symmetry. Plus, we (I) always wanted a destination wedding. He is totally fine with the city hall wedding be the be it and end of it all. But he knows this will mean a lot to me, to have the slightly bigger wedding, with the dress and everything.

What will we consider our anniversary? I don't know haha. I am assuming the 2014 one, as this is just a very informal legal ceremony that we are doing this year. It's one of those things that we will tell our kids.... we dated for 10 years, then got legally married, then had our big wedding the year after.... blah  blah. I don't know... we aren't telling anyone we are doing this, as we don't want anyone to feel like it's not "real". Because it will be to us.... hence my complete indecision around the vows, as I don't want to take anything away from our wedding in MX. I'll decide as it gets closer to September of this year haha.

I haven't been to FL :( Been to CA a few times because my aunt and uncle live there, been to OK and TX when they moved there for a few years. And have driven through most of the top states on our way out to Saskatchewan. Florida is on my list of places to go though. One of our best friends is from El Salvador, and he went to school in FL for a few years before coming up to Ontario. He always talks fondly of his time there, and how much he learned about American culture so quickly haha. 

Quote:

I agree! We shall keep it Operation Wedding Dress!

Yes, so our legal wedding will be on our one year engagement anniversary (out 11 year dating anniversary), and then the big wedding will be on our two year engagement anniversary, one year legally married anniversary (and twelve year dating anniversary)! HA! See why we don't want to change the date hahahahaha. I guess it will be like a vow renewal, though I didn't want it to be that way..... but it will mean a lot to my Baba (grandma), if we say some form of vow in front of her.

Yes, we are getting married at Dreams because we got engaged there September 2012. So it's a great symmetry. Plus, we (I) always wanted a destination wedding. He is totally fine with the city hall wedding be the be it and end of it all. But he knows this will mean a lot to me, to have the slightly bigger wedding, with the dress and everything.

What will we consider our anniversary? I don't know haha. I am assuming the 2014 one, as this is just a very informal legal ceremony that we are doing this year. It's one of those things that we will tell our kids.... we dated for 10 years, then got legally married, then had our big wedding the year after.... blah  blah. I don't know... we aren't telling anyone we are doing this, as we don't want anyone to feel like it's not "real". Because it will be to us.... hence my complete indecision around the vows, as I don't want to take anything away from our wedding in MX. I'll decide as it gets closer to September of this year haha.

I haven't been to FL :( Been to CA a few times because my aunt and uncle live there, been to OK and TX when they moved there for a few years. And have driven through most of the top states on our way out to Saskatchewan. Florida is on my list of places to go though. One of our best friends is from El Salvador, and he went to school in FL for a few years before coming up to Ontario. He always talks fondly of his time there, and how much he learned about American culture so quickly haha. 

that is so cute. If my fiance and I had decided to date on any other date, i probably would have done the same. But of course we had to start seeing each other on Christmas day and have our anniversary and all that during holidays. It would be too crazy of a time to get married and more expensive.

Originally Posted by Jessica Correa View Post
that is so cute. If my fiance and I had decided to date on any other date, i probably would have done the same. But of course we had to start seeing each other on Christmas day and have our anniversary and all that during holidays. It would be too crazy of a time to get married and more expensive.

LOL yeah, that is a pretty bad date! Awesome though- won't ever forget it, but wwwwwaaaaayyyy too busy of a time of the year to get married/ the expense is ridiculous.

How did you come to decide on your wedding date? Was it just a date that was available, or was there some kind of meaning to the date?

I'm interested in how people chose their wedding date, as ours is so obviously laid out for us, I wouldn't dare mess with it.