Jump to content

A little thing I like to call "Operation Wedding Dress" (aka, my dress is too small... but it won't be soon!)


Recommended Posts

Did anyone else do this? Buy a smaller dress on purpose? 

 

I realize now it was a pretty ballsy move, but I am determined to make it fit.  I WILL fit into that dress!

 

Since I don't know you all, I feel like I can tell you they wanted me to buy an 18.

 

EIGHTEEN!?!?!  No way Jose!  I ordered a 14 which is STILL bigger than any other clothing item I've ever bought, but I guess wedding dresses are just like that.

 

Turns out it would fit in the bust and the hips, I'm just a little too round in the middle.  From what I've read, good news that's the easiest stuff to lose!

 

I want to lose even more, so I can feel great in beach wear, but one step at a time.

 

So far, I'm eating way healthier, getting exercise a few days a week at least and trying very hard to stop drinking calories. 

 

I'm open to any tips or suggestions or stories of success (or failure for a dose of reality!).  If you're on the same mission, I welcome you to keep in touch with me - I have great support with my friends and I'll be happy to support you too, we can do this together!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this thread! I can completely relate to you! 

I haven't gone shopping for my wedding dress yet. But, I did tell my FH that I was going to buy my wedding dress in a smaller size than I current am. But, a size that will allow me to gain a few pounds during my wedding week. ( I am taking a 7 day wedding cruise and I will be getting married toward the end of it). 

 

I am trying my best to eat healthier. I LOVE sweets, but I haven't had any in 3 weeks. 

 

Try Zumba. My favorite ones are Zumba Toning (dancing with 1 lb toning sticks) and Zumba Sentao (dancing with a chair). 

 

What type of flavored beverages do you like to drink? Alcoholic or non-alcoholic? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I would have done this.  My sample was a size 8 and pretty tight, but zippable.  My measurement put me into and 6 at the bust, 8 in the waist and 10 for my hips. My bridal consultant advised that I order the 10, I wanted to order a 6, but went with an 8 in the end.  I should have went with my gut because I still needed the dress to be taken in at the bust waist and hip when I had my first fitting. Had I went with the 6 it would have fit perfectly and my dress would have only needed a bustle. But I guess more brides gain weight post engagement and most don't meet their fitness goals of losing weight and toning up.  And if alterations are done on the premises, this is another way of the bridal salon making money...selling you a dress that's too big.

 

Anywho, it sounds like you're on the right track and if you stay committed, you'll slim down in no time. 

 

For me I eat clean w/ high protein, adhere to portion sizes, eat 5-6 times a day, limit alcohol consumption to Friday and Saturdays only, workout 4-5 days a weeks (insanity, spin classes, weight/resistance training)

 

Good Luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am normally a size 12, and the dress I bought was a 10 (sample sale). She said that it means I should try to find myself in the 6 to 8 size range, in order to wear the dress how it should be worn. Which means I have a year and a bit to fully fit myself into that dress. I plan on being down to at least a 10 by the summer, so it will actually do up. So far I have lost about 10 pounds (give or take some weeks) since Christmas. Not as fast as I would like, but I'm getting there. I know it was risky doing it, but I absolutely refuse to get married at the size that I currently am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though it's not at the pace you would like, at least you LOST weight instead of gaining it! Plus, it's better to lose it slowly rather than losing 4 pounds in one week, then expecting it to happen every week. Know what I mean? (I have to remember this too! lol) 

 

But, I agree. The wedding pics will be around forever. With everyone from my friends and family to my parents' friends, my future kids, grandkids, etc., so it's one of those pics I want to make sure I look amazing in! It seems kind of crazy how much work the brides put in for just one day! Could you imagine if we just put this much effort into everything? Imagine what our lives would be like!  unicorn.gif lol

 

It seems we have similar. I recently lost a dress size elefant.gif so now I'm a size 10. But, I would like to be in the 6-8 size range by April. The size aspect is a little ridiculous. Let's have the bride feel like she is bigger than what she is?! Why can't a size 10 be a size 10 like normal clothing? Better, yet wedding dresses should be sized like this, ie. size 10= size 8? Then, brides will feel better about themselves and confident and happy!! You know how we are supposed to feel!!! I mean really who created this insane system? *sigh*

 

focus.gif What is your weight loss goal (if you don't mine sharing, that is)? From the start, mine was to lose 50 lbs (extra would be awesome...but, I'm trying to be realistic). So far, I think I have lost almost 10 (but I will know tomorrow morning because it is weigh-in day). Anxious to see what the scale says! pinkie.gif

 

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 View Post

I am normally a size 12, and the dress I bought was a 10 (sample sale). She said that it means I should try to find myself in the 6 to 8 size range, in order to wear the dress how it should be worn.

Which means I have a year and a bit to fully fit myself into that dress. I plan on being down to at least a 10 by the summer, so it will actually do up. So far I have lost about 10 pounds (give or take some weeks) since Christmas. Not as fast as I would like, but I'm getting there.

I know it was risky doing it, but I absolutely refuse to get married at the size that I currently am.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed! My goal is to lose it and actually keep it off this time! I usually lose around 20 pounds by the end of the summer every year, but then by Christmas it is ALWAYS back on plus more. Hence, why i am now than maniac size I am now.

 

So if I can get past the 20 pound mark, I will be really happy! My goal is around 50 pound as well (apparently I have no shame on these boards). I started off the beginning of the year around 192. I am now sitting at around 180 (give or take mother nature's monthly interference). Ideally, I would like to be down to 160 by the end of the summer, which gives me until around Christmas to get down to the 140/130 range I would like to be in. I want to get to my goal weight faster than necessary, so I can keep it off. If it is continually a slow, steady pace, I more than likely won't lose as much as I want. So my goal is to be at my goal weight by the end of the year. Which would mean essentially a 50-60 pound weight loss in one year! Yikes. Highest I have ever had to do, but man, what I wouldn't give to be 140 pounds right now!

 

I completely agree! Wedding dress sizes should be bigger than normal, to make us all feel beautiful. Too bad the fashion industry doesn't give a crap about how we feel in our bodies, and just wants us to feel even worse, so we eat our feelings, and then have horrible guilt and buy a gym membership/ buy bigger fat clothes. Vicious circle.

 

Originally Posted by CAKnight View Post

Even though it's not at the pace you would like, at least you LOST weight instead of gaining it! Plus, it's better to lose it slowly rather than losing 4 pounds in one week, then expecting it to happen every week. Know what I mean? (I have to remember this too! lol) 

 

But, I agree. The wedding pics will be around forever. With everyone from my friends and family to my parents' friends, my future kids, grandkids, etc., so it's one of those pics I want to make sure I look amazing in! It seems kind of crazy how much work the brides put in for just one day! Could you imagine if we just put this much effort into everything? Imagine what our lives would be like!  unicorn.gif lol

 

It seems we have similar. I recently lost a dress size elefant.gif so now I'm a size 10. But, I would like to be in the 6-8 size range by April. The size aspect is a little ridiculous. Let's have the bride feel like she is bigger than what she is?! Why can't a size 10 be a size 10 like normal clothing? Better, yet wedding dresses should be sized like this, ie. size 10= size 8? Then, brides will feel better about themselves and confident and happy!! You know how we are supposed to feel!!! I mean really who created this insane system? *sigh*

 

focus.gif What is your weight loss goal (if you don't mine sharing, that is)? From the start, mine was to lose 50 lbs (extra would be awesome...but, I'm trying to be realistic). So far, I think I have lost almost 10 (but I will know tomorrow morning because it is weigh-in day). Anxious to see what the scale says! pinkie.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by CAKnight View Post

 

Even though it's not at the pace you would like, at least you LOST weight instead of gaining it! Plus, it's better to lose it slowly rather than losing 4 pounds in one week, then expecting it to happen every week. Know what I mean? (I have to remember this too! lol) 

 

But, I agree. The wedding pics will be around forever. With everyone from my friends and family to my parents' friends, my future kids, grandkids, etc., so it's one of those pics I want to make sure I look amazing in! It seems kind of crazy how much work the brides put in for just one day! Could you imagine if we just put this much effort into everything? Imagine what our lives would be like!  unicorn.gif lol

 

It seems we have similar. I recently lost a dress size elefant.gif so now I'm a size 10. But, I would like to be in the 6-8 size range by April. The size aspect is a little ridiculous. Let's have the bride feel like she is bigger than what she is?! Why can't a size 10 be a size 10 like normal clothing? Better, yet wedding dresses should be sized like this, ie. size 10= size 8? Then, brides will feel better about themselves and confident and happy!! You know how we are supposed to feel!!! I mean really who created this insane system? *sigh*

 

focus.gif What is your weight loss goal (if you don't mine sharing, that is)? From the start, mine was to lose 50 lbs (extra would be awesome...but, I'm trying to be realistic). So far, I think I have lost almost 10 (but I will know tomorrow morning because it is weigh-in day). Anxious to see what the scale says! pinkie.gif

Good luck tomorrow! I am sure your hard work will pay off!woot2.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I hope to keep it off, as well, too. I told my FH that I want us to try to workout 3x/wk together once we get married. But, we will see if that actually happens. 

 

Yeah...apparently we are together in this no-shame thing. But, at least it makes us more accountable maybe? I started at 190 (which shocked me) as I've never been that size before. Tomorrow I will find out if I reach my 180 goal. We should be weight loss buddies since we are so similar in our goals and current weights. cheer2.gif Yes, as you said, what I wouldn't give to be 140 lbs right now! 

 

Yes, vicious circle...BangHead.gif But, we must overcome! punk.gif

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 View Post

Agreed! My goal is to lose it and actually keep it off this time! I usually lose around 20 pounds by the end of the summer every year, but then by Christmas it is ALWAYS back on plus more. Hence, why i am now than maniac size I am now.

 

So if I can get past the 20 pound mark, I will be really happy! My goal is around 50 pound as well (apparently I have no shame on these boards). I started off the beginning of the year around 192. I am now sitting at around 180 (give or take mother nature's monthly interference). Ideally, I would like to be down to 160 by the end of the summer, which gives me until around Christmas to get down to the 140/130 range I would like to be in. I want to get to my goal weight faster than necessary, so I can keep it off. If it is continually a slow, steady pace, I more than likely won't lose as much as I want. So my goal is to be at my goal weight by the end of the year. Which would mean essentially a 50-60 pound weight loss in one year! Yikes. Highest I have ever had to do, but man, what I wouldn't give to be 140 pounds right now!

 

I completely agree! Wedding dress sizes should be bigger than normal, to make us all feel beautiful. Too bad the fashion industry doesn't give a crap about how we feel in our bodies, and just wants us to feel even worse, so we eat our feelings, and then have horrible guilt and buy a gym membership/ buy bigger fat clothes. Vicious circle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • The two people who matters the most in this situation? You and your partner. It is nice to get an outside opinion but if you have too much of it? It will get messy! I am replying you my response after that has happened to me with my wedding. Although it is quite hard, do not think of the negative opinions. The people who will turn up to your wedding? You will always cherish them even more! That is what has happened with me because my friendship with the people who attended my wedding has improved so much more that I know I can rely on them and they can rely on me. It is disappointing that people will not attend your wedding but it is their loss, not yours. At the end of the day, when they see pictures and videos of your big day they will definitely regret missing out on such event. I am waiting to deal with the aftermath of my wedding from my so called friends, if they say anything they will get an earful! Happy planning, your big day will be worth it! Keep us up to date!
    • Wow, I cannot believe it's been over a year since I last posted! Better keep everyone up to date as everything ended up positive in the end! So, let's start with the situation with W. From my previous post, I have serious consideration removing him from the groomsmen because of the hurtful things he has said to me. Not too after my second post, I asked him once again whether he wants to be part of the groomsmen. The response was around the lines of "I need more solid information". This was before the restriction were lifted. Then he said it was down to finances yet again, even though he said he could have made it but because of what A said, W didn't commit no more. As W was being difficult, I decided to drop him as a groomsmen altogether and replaced him with someone else. Plan B was already in motion and tbh, I wish I did this first to avoid any hassle. Everyone who got invited in plan B all committed themselves to the wedding!  The situation with A is this. I was feeling sad that I was losing this friendship and that spark with him was gone. By the time it was gone, A was "ready" to meet up with me to discuss life and the wedding. When I said I lost spark with him, I really did. I knew that he was ready to meet up with me because it was convenient for him. For example, he wanted to meet up with me because he was driving past my house or was in the area visiting his relative. If he was not doing those things he would not want to meet up with me. Needless to say, every time he kept asking, I just said I was busy. I think deep down something was not right between me and A but he does not want to acknowledge it. I know that W had FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) because that's what he is like. Around the end of last year, rather than messaging me about the DW he went behind my back and asked my SO. He was scared of asking me because he knows if he asked me, I would literally get angry at him. He's nosey and was happy enough to be part of the groomsmen but he listened to A. W didn't asked once but twice to mg SO. My SO just said that she was busy and should ask me about the wedding, not her. W did messagee but not about the wedding plans. I felt this was a sly move by his part. If anything not having A and W there was a blessing in disguise. I met up with the other 4 groomsmen over one weekend and it turns out it was the most fun we all have had for a while. It was as if we continued from the previous conversations in the past as if nothing has changed. I am so glad and proud of this group of groomsmen and glad the other 2 dropped out. The suit fitting went really well and we hung out again to see whether the suits altered fitted or not.  Unfortunately my SO UK group, 5 out of 6 declined the invite. Only 1 accepted it. The other 5 had reasons ranging from good ones to poorer ones 😅 As long one of them turned up then it was good enough for us. My SO's bridesmaids also were amazing. No problems caused whatsoever and they were really excited that our wedding was abroad too! To make things work out before our DW, myself and SO planned out 2 weekends for both groomsmen and bridesmaids to hang out before the DW. We did this so we would not encounter any awkwardness for the first time in DW. Lo and behold, everyone got to know each other and we really are happy that the wedding party weekend went smoothly. I will keep this ambiguous because I do not want A and his group finding out. I got married to my SO this year. What time and month? I will leave this intentionally blank. The wedding itself was everything we have expected. The wedding planner was amazing. The photographer was also amazing too, so glad we went for him. The sneak peak photos are absolutely great, couldn't imagine that the photos turned out like that. The good itself was okay could be better but could be worse. The first dance went relatively well although my SO managed to cock up s move which only I know hahahaha. The wedding ceremony itself went really quickly. I was a bag of nerves to which one of the groomsmen bought the groomsmen a shot each to calm everyone down. It did calm me down for a little bit but the nerves started again with the speeches. I got emotional throughout the speeches. I was not expecting the tear up with the best man speech at all. My speech was meant for my SO but for some reason everyone in the room also cried as well 😂 The all night dancing and fun was the best bit. When every serious part was done, I was able to stop being nervous! The fun went through the whole night and I can see everyone really enjoyed themselves. It was as if myself and SO correctly guess that lockdown restrictions would end. Everyone was thankful that they managed to take part in the DW because they all have been stranded in the country for 3 years! Do I regret having a DW? Hell no! Although it was a smaller party everything was all under control. Everyone had a great time!  More information about my UK group. Some of them congratulated us which was nice to hear. Those congratulated us, I can keep contact. They knew it was difficult coming to DW. At least they are mature enough to say something about it and they did not get the invite. On the other hand, A and W kept constantly monitoring my account for updates along with my SO. It got to the point that W really FOMO that he I followed our stories/posts. A on the other hand is completely out of order. He was invited to DW but made it really uncomfortable to me that he was not happy with DW. During that week, he went on holiday to Spain. I get that Spain is much more cheaper than my DW but it still is annoying. A also said before that he has a few weddings to attend during our DW month. He has not attended any weddings which makes me think that he has lied to me. A and W has lied to me saying it was costly for them to come to my DW. They have both bought PlayStation 5 and went to many designer outlets. If they are so stumped on money why go and buy things? It just shows that they are not good friends at all. Overall good DW. I do not regret it one bit because I know if I did it in the UK, the experience will be a lot different. The UK definitely not as scenic as my DW! 🤣    
    • Hi ! Myself and partner got engaged 7 months ago and we quite quickly asked our friends who we wanted in our wedding party (e.g bridesmaids, MOH and best men etc) who all agreed. After searching many English venues we have decided that we want to marry abroad, our dream is Mexico. We have been and priced this up today and we are incredibly happy. So we have put this forward to our friends and family who we really want there and now we are facing issues. My MOH and my partners Best man are together with a child, they now will not come unless we change to Spain or Greece. My brother, his wife and nephew can only come in one set week which isn't the time we want to marry and also will not come to Mexico. And both our Grandmother's won't come to Mexico.   What do we do? Do we carry on and go to Mexico with the people who will come or do we change our dreams and go to Spain or Greece?  Thoughts please, I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to marry as I'm fed up of friends and family ruining our ideas and dreams with their opinions. 
    • What purpose does a ring actually have? I think they look nice, but to me, wearing a ring doesn’t mean a damn thing. I’m engaged. I’m in a happy, healthy and strong relationship. And to be fully honest if you are ever in a relationship that you’d be willing to risk because of the price of an engagement ring, your partner could do better.
    • My name is Marshall and I’m getting married in Punta Cana in June I am in search of a rabbi could you please help me
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...