Photo

AlexisinJamaica's Secrets St. James 4.27.13 Planning Journal

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 pzl101

pzl101
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I keep coming back to your thread - I love it so much! You said you bought napkins? Am I wrong to assume that the resort would provide them for the reception??? thanks!

Originally Posted by alexisinjamaica 

1. Yes, for the most part. The hubby was in charge of music so he put together a spreadsheet. Music is a big deal to him, so when the DJ commented that we made great picks he was all proud of himself. Haha.

2. At cocktail hour we had the steel drum band. We basically missed this part since we were taking pics, but everyone said they were awesome.

3. We did spring for the dance floor. As for if it's worth it or not, totally your preference-- if you're going to do first dances and want to wear cute heels or shoes, you might want to spring for it. If you're going barefoot, dancing in the sand is fine I'm sure. But I will say that I really liked the setup with the dance floor-- they had it in the center and then all the tables around it on the beach.

4. I say just go to the disco after. That's what we did and we gave everyone glow stick bracelets and necklaces.

5. They use the same chairs for the ceremony and reception. We upgraded to the chivari chairs in silver, and I thought they were pretty on their own so I didn't bring sashes or any chair decorations (other than the fans with programs, which were only out during the ceremony). I bought the napkins online (forget where) but for 40 purple napkins it was pretty affordable, and then I packed them, along with all my other crap, in the plastic storage bins that I taped up really well and checked as luggage. I ended up leaving all 3 bins behind-- didn't want to deal with getting them back to the states, and they were only like $9 each so I didn't feel too guilty.

#82 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
    • 562 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
    • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by pzl101 

I keep coming back to your thread - I love it so much! You said you bought napkins? Am I wrong to assume that the resort would provide them for the reception??? thanks!

Haha why thanks! Keep on coming back! As for napkins, I bought them because I wanted purple napkins and didn't want to pay whatever Secrets would have charged for colored napkins. If you are OK with white, then they should be included! If you are interested in purple, then I have 36 unused purple napkins I can sell! LOL.

#83 pzl101

pzl101
    • 281 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

ohhh haha OK, got it. I haven't picked out colors yet but I'll keep you in mind if I go for purple. Thanks!

#84 muneera0302

muneera0302
      • 277 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Alexis your profile pic is so pretty! Did you get your pics yet?

#85 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
        • 562 posts
        • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by muneera0302 

Alexis your profile pic is so pretty! Did you get your pics yet?

Thank you!!! We did get the pics! I posted a few in my album if you haven't seen them already. Next on my to-do list is having the best ones made into a hardcover photo book!

#86 bands

bands
        • Site Supporter
        • 53 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

wow I love your program's!! Don't suppose you could email me the template? I would love to try & make them bkhoughton17@hotmail.com

#87 LoriGran

LoriGran
          • 339 posts
          • Wedding Date:July 25, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Rivera Maya
          • LocationMexico

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Absolutely love your planning thread!!! I doing a chevron theme and also using Wedding chicks! That site is great with the free printables!!!! I had a quick question for you. You posted a picture of your menu on a purple cloth napkin. Did you buy those for your reception? I want a specific color, don't want to go with plain white cloth napkins but I'm not sure if the resort will have different color selection.

#88 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
          • 562 posts
          • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Granados 

Absolutely love your planning thread!!! I doing a chevron theme and also using Wedding chicks! That site is great with the free printables!!!! I had a quick question for you. You posted a picture of your menu on a purple cloth napkin. Did you buy those for your reception? I want a specific color, don't want to go with plain white cloth napkins but I'm not sure if the resort will have different color selection.

Thanks Lori! I bought the napkins ahead of time and brought them with me. Used this site: http://www.linentabl...54/category/11/ They have tons of colors so I'm sure you can find something to match your wedding! Good luck. :)

#89 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
          • 562 posts
          • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

I just posted a review! Has a lot of the same info, but here you go anyway. :) http://www.bestdesti...-wedding-review

#90 Recy

Recy
          • 165 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by alexisinjamaica 

We are leaving in 10 days (ack!) and I wanted a place to gather all of my projects and info to hopefully help out other brides. This site has been SO AMAZINGLY HELPFUL to me in my planning (I know everyone says that but it’s true) so now I just want to pay it forward! Like so many brides before me, I want to say a HUGE THANKS to Tammy for creating this amazing site!! Hope you all enjoy reading through this.

How We Met:

We met the way every girl imagines she’ll meet her future husband: at a bar on Valentine’s Day. (what? that's not actually a thing? oh well.) We’d both been dragged out to a bar by our friends and as luck would have it, when my girlfriend and I walked in the only available seats were next to Joe and his friends.  We struck up a conversation and the rest is history!

The Proposal:

I’m just going to paste what I wrote on our

Engagement photo

The Resort:

We will be married at

Travel Agent:

We've been working with BDW's travel agency, Wright Travel, and our TA Barbara has been amazing to work with! She is super helpful and on top of things and is great about responding in a timely manner. It's really taken a lot of the stress of planning off of me since I don't have to field questions from guests about travel!

Rings:

Kind of hard to tell in the pic, but Joe's is a black tungsten band. Very simple but it's what he wanted!

Save the Dates:

I wanted to do something fun and different for our save the dates. I’d seen two examples of scratch-off STDs but never received one, plus I thought the idea of a scratch-off and coins could be fun for a destination wedding since we could remind guests to “save their pennies” in order to join us. Here is a link to my earlier post/tutorial on how to make these:

Invitations:

I did not have the time or patience to create my own passport invitations like so many other BDW brides have done, and done beautifully. Instead I searched for some affordable passport options and came across a site (Beach Wedlock Invitations

Wedding Attire:

My dress (Jim Hjelm, sash from Etsy) Please excuse these pics-- they are pre-alterations/ironing!!

Jewelry (both Nadri, from Bloomingdale's)

Shoes. (DSW. Link to shoes: http://www.dsw.com/s...,dsw12cat750002) I'm normally in heels, or "stilts" as Joe likes to call them since I like 'em high, but we're doing the ceremony, cocktails and dinner/dancing on the beach so I opted for sparkly flats.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Joe's suit. So Joe decided last week he wanted to get an entirely different suit from the one he'd originally purchased. He ordered the suit and tie below from J. Crew. It hasn't arrived, so no pics of him in it. And no, I'm not freaking out that it's not here yet at all! (totally am.) He'll wear this with a white shirt and all-white vans.

Maid of Honor dress (David's Bridal) This looks more purple in person. I feel like it reads almost blue in the pics...

and I got her these matching barefoot sandals:

Colors and inspiration pics:

We're doing shades of purple with fuchsia for a pop of color and a bit of silver. Here's the inspiration board I've been using:

Logo I created for OOT bags, welcome letter, etc.:

Ceremony inspiration pic:

We're planning on having a cupcake tower like this (I even found those exact cupcake wrappers on Amazon) and a small cake so we have something to cut.

Gifts:

Groom gift for Joe

I got him a customized print from an Etsy seller that has our important dates: the day we met, our first date, the day we got engaged and our wedding date. OK this gift is partly for me cause now he'll never forget our anniversary! Haha. Here's the Etsy shop where I got it: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96369337/special-dates-near-and-dear-custom

I also got him a nice watch:

Maid of Honor:

This cute shirt from Wedding Chicks:

and:
            - a bottle of her favorite wine
            - necklace with her initial and birthstone
            - a gift certificate for a mani/pedi at our favorite nail place
            - we also paid for her dress that she'll be wearing at the wedding

Parents

customized hankies from Etsy

Still to come:

DIY projects

OOT bags

Etsy purchases

Hair and makeup

You have such wonderful ideas!!!! How early did you start planning your wedding??

"Make or accept no excuses. You are where you are today (and will be tomorrow) as a result of what you did or did not do yesterday."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users