are there any uk grand palladium lady hamalton brides out there?

Hi Girls!

haha i know so much drama! I wish we had taken that approach and asked people to be bridesmaids / best man etc after they had booked - would have saved making anyone feel uncomfortable, but on the plus side we now have a best man and a bridesmaid which is a great start!! Having a reception home here is a great idea and it will act as a get out of jail free card for those who can't make it, plus love the idea of wearing my dress twice too - am looking into local halls and things or maybe a meal will probably be something quite informal. I'm sure no matter who comes away in the end it will be the perfect day, after all... It was me and my partner who chose to drag everyones asses over there.

Thats a nice thing to have the time in premium to either chill yourselves or spend time with your parents. We have all opted for standard class except my mother in law and her husband, plus partners aunty, they fly out the week after us... wish we had the money to upgrade but i'm thinking maybe if we can cut some costs on the wedding bits and bobs we will be able to upgrade as an add on later. Heard from Thomson weddings team that it may be the new dreamliner plane! 

Nic I thought about ordering bridesmaid dresses from China, my friend getting married in the UK did- she ordered them from ebay... the seller is from Manchester but she orders them from China to save worries about the import tax, the dresses are lovely she said the quality is excellent too. The orange sounds lovely! I bought mine yesterday in Coast, they had £50 off all maxi dresses & in the PERFECT colour so I went for it, 1 fits one of the bridesmaids like a glove no alterations needed, just keeping my fingers crossed that the other dress fits the other as I'm not sure who they are yet haha very risky I know but I have a month to return. I love your idea for the fans for guests and petals! I thought about the paper parasols to give the mums some shade - then use them in the photos. The blue lagoon looks amazing in the videos and yes I thought the same about the sheet separating the parties, it would be good if they have decided to change this. The entertainment is so expensive but I guess they have the monopoly to charge what they like - the ipod speakers... great idea, hoping that the hotel will be ok with this but I guess why not?!! I'm going to check out the place that you ordered your flowers from right now they sound great...Cant believe the hotel ask $35 for 1 lily eeeesssh! The photography is a really difficult decision as I guess you don't want to put your friends under pressure to perform well and not mess up, but if you are a photographer then maybe with some time to practice with them it would work out great? I think we have 8 photos included in pearl island the package (i know thats nothing) but maybe they would do a top up of photos for an extra charge if you use the same photographer? Hope that you find someone :)!!! I lucky as one of my best friends is a photographer, I'm just sooo hoping that he books up! He has just started out, has an amazing camera..did my friends wedding recently and the pictures came out amazing... going to get all the guests to take lots of photos and put some disposable cameras on the table at the reception so we get some surprise pics.

Sophie xx

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya, Exactly we cant really moan as its our choice to get married abroad and cant expect everyone to come who we would like to, one of those things i guess! We chose to go abroad anyway to cut down on cost as well, my sister spent a huge amount for that one day, dont get me wrong it was beautiful but just too big of a wedding for me, i want it to be small and intimate, if we were to have it over here we'd have to ask family etc that we dont even talk to on a regular basis or even seen in years, plus all our friends, normal family (which my other half has 25 just aunts, uncles and cousins). Anyway we get that beautiful weather and stunning scenery! Which is putting me in two minds with spending money on a photographer because the scenery will make it amazing anyway. Thats my one hang up at the mo and band! Sophie you were so lucky to get those coast dresses, sure there amazing, i was looking in coast too but orange is just too rare of a colour which is annoying, prob could have waited more till the summer but i was too impatient! lol. Parasols are a good idea and i've seen them in a few other pics on here, with a bright colour and against your wedding dress will look amazing, i've had a look about on ebay and found a couple, im just worried about packing everything too, i've bought quite a bit already to take over! We have also decided to take over sky lanterns to do in the evening on the beach, you can get them cheap on ebay and would make a really lovely picture, thats the plan anyway! I was also thinking of taking disposable cameras but thought everyone will have there digital cameras on them anyway and would save paying to have them developed, what i might do actually is write a little note/poem to leave on each table to say to the guests to take as many pics and forward them (the decent ones) onto me, that way when i get home i can print the ones i want and make an album, i want this done by the time we have our reception party when we get back, that way everyone who didnt go can have a look at the pics, think i will take the same guest book from Jamaica to party also. I didnt realise we got pics included in our package?? I'll look into that and i guess depends how good the pics are, maybe ask to have a look at the ones they have taken already on the day, rather than agreeing to pay extra for more pics. Everything seems to be adding up and nothing is done for free, Erika the WC emailed me and said that they charge $150 to set everything up for you, as i told her i'll br bringing my own petals etc (as they charge $50 for a bag) table favors and will someone be there to set it up, she said 'No problem , just let me know , because for an elaborated setting we charge a setting fee of 150 usd'. So just to make you guys aware as these things arent clearly stated when booking!!! Also Richard went into Thompsons today to pay some money off and theres a new thing in there regarding how many guests you have you get freebies, which i was aware of as we have over 30 guests we get free bottle of champagne and chocolates, now a new one has come out which we're going to check where if you have over 30 guests you get champagne, chocolate, wedding dress box, afternoon tea (located in england), spa day for two (england) so its worth looking in to ; ) Hope this helps. speak soon Nic x

nic it all sounds lovely

have you been to gplh before?

if so do they have a problem with cats Ive read a few things on trip adviser about it and am a bit worried as i am petrified of them not sure if some people are being fussy or if i do really need to psyche up for it

sophie i haven't sorted bridesmaid dresses out yet Ive seen 1 i really like just need the girls to come and try on which is proving to be a bit difficult due to us all doing different working days hours etc they dint really seem to be in a rush to let me know when they are free!!!

its all so exciting girls xxx

Yes I have been to GPLH, its beautiful! I dont understand all of these negative reviews, (i think its mainly due to Americans and Canadians being used to such high standards when it comes to hotels tbh?) we couldnt fault it, hence us getting married there and know that our friends and family will love it just as much as we did, hopefully! I havent read anything about cats? There were cats near the Poseidon restaurant (near jerk chicken beach) but they were outside the restuarant and small cats, werent there everyday, other than there i didnt see them anywhere else so you should be fine! Isnt annoying trying to chase people, when its your wedding?! dont worry you have plenty of time! My parents upset me over the wknd as we have no family coming to ours compared to richard, he has two aunts and uncles and three cousins coming. Its not my fault though that we have only one aunt that i had invited and cant come, cousins too that cant come and i asked my brother in laws parents and my mum and dads good friends, thinking it would make my mum and dad a bit happy they have someone else there that they know but all of them cant make it, so its not like i havent tried, just annoyed me over the wknd, as you really cant keep everyone happy and theres really nothing else i can do. You would have thought that being the situation they would have only gone for a week but they have booked on for two weeks, they moaned too when i first told them where we were going as they couldnt go on their cruise this year, they've had to use jamaica as their main holiday this year, what a shame! sorry moan over, i've made my parents sound really bad too, woops! xx

no i completely understand how frustrating it all is especially when we try to be as "we would love you to come but understand if you cant" about it all and people are still funny about it one friend from work (close friend who cant come as she is expecting) said is probably because they feel guilty now i dont want anyone to feel guilty that they cant come but i wont have their guilt put on me because im going away to get married!!

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease about the cats i was starting to get really worried about it the reviews i saw were on trip adviser i think

xxxxxx vic xxxx 

Hi girls,

Do you keep looking at the reviews on trip advisor like we do? there did seem to be a few negative ones coming in but only seem to be moaning over very small things, but thats great to know that you have been to the hotel and love it its nice to know that!!

Do you know if there is much around outside the hotel in the way of things to do?? We have decided that we are not really going to do the whole big stag and hen do thing but when we get to the GP we were thinking of having a day out for the guys and day for the girls maybe the spa for the ladies, so was just wondering if you knew what was around? 

We had our wedding conformed with Thomson this week... 11th April 2014 at 2.00pm Gazebo so happy, have just sent out my email to the wedding coordinator now to discuss the reception. Vic our is day before so funny!!!

Hope both of your planning is going well & family things are getting easier, people in our family are getting used to the idea now i think, its taken some time, but friends are the hardest as they don't always tell you what they are really thinking.

Soph xxx

Hi Soph! Finally you have your date, I bet your relieved, now you can start planning properly!!! this time next year!!! I've read a really bad trip advisor review of a poor bride that had her cards etc stolen from wedding reception and hotel we're not helpful at all, i forwarded this to Richard maybe not the best idea but too late now anyway, all deposits paid and im still looking foward to it, apparently the lady is going to the top of palladium hotels and getting solicitors etc involved, they had about £2,500 taken! maybe this incident will make them buck there ideas a bit! but she couldnt fault the wedding at all, there were little hicups but she said it didnt ruin her day until this incident. Have a read. Im forever reading the reviews too but i have also been there before and we thought it was fab, nothing to maon about! theres not much around the hotel at all, you have to cab it everywhere anyway. the closest thing we went to was the dolphin place, which was amazing swimming with dolphins, holding a sting ray and a nurse shark!! We are also going to have a boys night out and ladies night out do our own thing, the only place i know of to go is Ricks cafe, its amazing, its a while away in a cab but well worth it, the sunset is amazing, brilliant atmosphere and great food and cocktails, we're thinking of going there with everyone for a meal the day after the wedding, we really wanted to have our reception meal there after the wedding but then thought its over half an hour away and getting over 30 of us there, just made things complicated and would have worked out more money! Other than there i have no idea where to go, apart from excursions. The spa seems quite pricey from what i think anyway, i think i have a list on my email will try and attach for you. Have any of you started looking at dresses? Nic xx p.s sorry i dont know how to attach things in this!

so glad u have been nic feel like I'm picking your brains ha ha 

i was talking to a woman on here who got married in Jan this year she unfortunately had an incident at the spa/hairdressers she had paid a fortune for hair extension's before she went and the hairdresser ruined them got them all knotted up then said they were like that before she started on them!!

Ive always thought u shouldn't read too much into negative reviews as i think people can be very quick to post bad comments bit you don't actually take the time when its really good hard tho when its your wedding not to read them ha ha 

Ive got my dress put my deposit on it and need to get measured for it in Aug/Sept 

vic xx