Sign in to follow this  
laurenm0980

Mother of the Bride Dress Help

Hi all! I had a question I needed some help with....my mother bought a dress for my destination wedding and I DO NOT like it at all.  It is way too busy for my taste and clashes with my bridal party's colors.  The style of the dress is nice, it's strapless and long, but the colors are horrible. sad.gif I do not want to offend her or come across as bridezilla but I want to know what I should do.  Do I tell her I don't like it and to find another option?  I would have went shopping with her to pick it out together but she went on her own without me.  Advice please!!!

Ooh, tough one.

Maybe casually go shopping with her one day and point out other dresses? If you are comfortable, maybe carefully - and kindly- tell her you are not a fan of her choice. You could always word it, like you are sad you missed out on the experience of shopping with her.

Otherwise, I say evaluate how important it actually is to you. I am sure I will not be overly happy with some of the choices of our parents and siblings; but it shows their personalities, and it is what they like, so oh well... okay! Hahaha - it will make FI and I look all the better. Also, maybe get a second opinion on whether or not the dress will actually clash; I sometimes think it will look awful, but later in pictures it is fine. Ask a friend; hopefully it looks okay in pictures?

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

Ooh, tough one.

Maybe casually go shopping with her one day and point out other dresses? If you are comfortable, maybe carefully - and kindly- tell her you are not a fan of her choice. You could always word it, like you are sad you missed out on the experience of shopping with her.

Otherwise, I say evaluate how important it actually is to you. I am sure I will not be overly happy with some of the choices of our parents and siblings; but it shows their personalities, and it is what they like, so oh well... okay! Hahaha - it will make FI and I look all the better. Also, maybe get a second opinion on whether or not the dress will actually clash; I sometimes think it will look awful, but later in pictures it is fine. Ask a friend; hopefully it looks okay in pictures?

Oh, if none of that works, if your mom insists on the dress, talk to your photographer and explain your concerns - it is amazing what they can do! As simple as not placing your mom next to your bridesmaids on the day of sometimes. Chances are, in pictures, you are probably the only person who notices.

Oh, if none of that works, if your mom insists on the dress, talk to your photographer and explain your concerns - it is amazing what they can do! As simple as not placing your mom next to your bridesmaids on the day of sometimes. Chances are, in pictures, you are probably the only person who notices.
That is great advice thank you! I would have never thought to talk to the photographer! I def don't want to hurt her feelings.

If you respectfully express your concerns she might not get offended.  Although I don't know her personality, I would think she would understand that the dress might be too busy and clash with the wedding colors.  You can tell her she will not look flattering on pictures due to the wedding colors,  Then you go shopping for a new dress with her.  Hope it all works out for you!

Thats a hard one! My mom and I have very similar taste so I hope I don't cross this bridge but I would in a kind way bring it up with 'do you think my bridesmaids dresses will go with your dress because I'm just not too sure?' and then follow it up with 'should I change their dresses to matches yours' and see what she says maybe she will get to thinking and realize they don't and will want to change it on her own

I'm having the same concern, our colors are an eggplant purple and grey and my mom bought a blue and black dress. I would like to let her know, but don't want to hurt her feelings either. Not sure what to do, but it would be nice if she would coordinate with colors better.

I'm having trouble with this right now!! My Moms choices so far are not good ideas and she gets so emotional when I tell her I don't like them. Thinking about just giving in and allowing her to pick :angry:

I wouldn't think to try and tell my mom what to wear... We have completely different styles and at the end of the day I want her to feel beautiful. She will know the Colors of our wedding and hopefully she chooses something that will compliment the look in photos.,. If not- I will look back at photos and say "yup- that's my mom" and it will still bring a laugh and a memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ya I haven't thought much about what I would do in this circumstance. I know my mom has a totally different style then me but also knows what I like so I think she is trying to plan accordingly. My FI mother asked me what she should wear and I didn't really give her much direction, was thinking what ever she wants really..... She knows the wedding colours so hopefully will choose wisely. But maybe I should have given more guidance lol.

Just remember either way it's going to be an amazing day no matter what they wear and yes I agree you will look back and possibly laugh at it one day :)