Photo

DJ for a small reception?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 terrihugg

terrihugg
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Including my fiance and I there will be 33 people at the wedding. We are having a private reception. However, I'm wondering what we should do about music. For some reason, I feel like with only 33 people it doesn't make sense to pay for a DJ. But if I don't hire a dj, I'm not sure what would be the appropriate route for music. 

What do you think is the best route? How are all of you approaching music?

#2 uhura526

uhura526
    • 330 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

We have a total of 28 people including myself and FI and we have hired a DJ.  We love to dance and also big into music.  I do not want to have to worry about coordinating music and making announcements, etc and the DJ is who is in charge of the flow of the wedding reception. So we have one from dinner onward for 3 hours total.  Alternately, for our ceremony and cocktail hour, we have a steel drum player.

#3 Mufin1785

Mufin1785
      • 438 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

We had planned on using our IPod and downloaded a a wedding DJ app which mixed and faded the music together.  They had a dinner music section first dance section and then party music section in the app.  But our venue endded providing a DJ for us. 

#4 Candi16

Candi16
        • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

My FH and I are approximating 25 people to our DW. We won't have a final count for a while since our wedding isn't until 2014 but that being said as much as we're into music we're choosing not to pay an arm and a leg for the DJ as well. Ipod and play list is the route we're taking and our WC is providing the sound system free of charge. Since DW are not traditional we are not having a traditional reception i.e. no annoucements, father/daughter, mother/son dance, gater/bouquet toss ect. The only dance we're having is our First Dance. Everyone's vision is different so definitely to each is own! @ Mufin 1785---what DJ app did you plan on using? I love the idea of the mixing and fading...

#5 Mufin1785

Mufin1785
          • 438 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

I believe it was called Wedding DJ App it was $1.99 but well worth it as we had created a play-list before and they had a lot of dead silence in between songs. 

#6 terrihugg

terrihugg
            • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for suggesting the app. I'll look into it.

#7 AnaSteele58

AnaSteele58
              • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Will definitely look into that app! Thanks for sharing

#8 AnaSteele58

AnaSteele58
                • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

The app is only available from iTunes...FYI

#9 JSLM

JSLM
                  • 170 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for sharing the APP... I too am on the fence as to whether to hire a DJ or just use an Ipod.

#10 Zoe Nguyen

Zoe Nguyen
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 132 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Candi16 

My FH and I are approximating 25 people to our DW. We won't have a final count for a while since our wedding isn't until 2014 but that being said as much as we're into music we're choosing not to pay an arm and a leg for the DJ as well. Ipod and play list is the route we're taking and our WC is providing the sound system free of charge. Since DW are not traditional we are not having a traditional reception i.e. no annoucements, father/daughter, mother/son dance, gater/bouquet toss ect. The only dance we're having is our First Dance. Everyone's vision is different so definitely to each is own! @ Mufin 1785---what DJ app did you plan on using? I love the idea of the mixing and fading...

+1, I'm doing exactly the same; I'm quite picky so cant trust the DJ and cant justify the costs. :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users