Bridal Shower Etiquette - Can my mom throw the shower?

Originally Posted by phsexxy View Post

What are your thoughts about registering for gifts for your bridal shower, especially since we are asking our guests to spend a lot of money to come to our destination wedding? what are you girls doing, registering or not registering or other options?

we registered.  we knew a lot of the people we invited wouldn't be able to come, and would want to send a gift.  we even had people ask where we were registered when we got engaged.  i'm not having a shower, but if you are, i don't think there is anything wrong with registering.  people will probably ask if you don't!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, we registered at Kohls, BBB and Target.  We both lived at home with our parentsall our lives even through college- so we literally had nothing.. so having 3 showers helped us get everything we needed! People typically get a shower gift and a wedding gift.  I received shower gifts from everyone that attended and then when we sent our pre-travel brochures to those that were coming to Mexico with us not to get us a present as their attentance to our wedding was the greatest gift we could ask for.  Of course we still had a few people that got us gifts that came to Mexico, but at least no one felt obligated to give us a gift.  We had a lot of people that could not attend the wedding send us gifts and then we had an open house at our house about 2 months after the wedding where the rest of the people that didn't come to the wedding gave us gifts. 

I don't think it matters who throws it. Your bridesmaid can co- host with your mom and be there to help set up and take down and organize any games, speeches etc. Most of the showers I've been to have been a combined effort of BM, family and friends so that everything doesn't fall on just one person. I didn't want a shower but I found that ppl actually expect you to have one and look fwd to a reason to get together before the wedding. 

My mom is hosting the shower at her place, and my MOH will be helping with the logistics. I never thought there was an issue with my mom hosting the party, and it just makes sense given the situations of the rest of our friends and family. We are only having about 10% of invited guests (maybe even less than that) attend our wedding in Jamaica, and I am asking them to not give us any gifts since they are already spending the money for the trip. Most of our other relatives are older and old fashioned, so they are expecting a shower and registry information.

Hi all! I had a question on Bridal Shower Etiquette as far as who to invite!  Since my RSVP's for my wedding will be in before my bridal shower, do I only invite guests that are able to attend my DW?!? I know some of my family members would feel insulted if I did not invite them to the shower but I already know they can't come to my wedding in Mexico.  Who does my mom invite?!

I am sending invites to all the local women in my family and my fiance's family. Almost all of them will NOT be coming to the wedding (we are only having about 15 people that were able to make it) but that doesn't mean they want to miss out on all the other wedding related activities. I am also having an AHR about a month after we get back, and I expect that most of them will be able to attend that.

Invite everyone!!! They will want to be able to take part of as much as possible even though they cannot attend your wedding! None of my family aside from my parents and sister came to the wedding but all my aunts and mom's friends wanted to come to the shower to be a part of something!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my bridal shower 2 weeks ago and it was amazing!! I got to celebrate with all my friends and family some who cant make the trip to Mexico (my fiancee's grandma and aunts) and they were so excited to be able to share this moment with us. If your mom or bridal party offer just accept it! It really was so awesome, I am still smiling 2 weeks later. Not gonna lie having so much attention and pple wanting to do such nice things for you can be overwhelming. Its a weird feeling because you know the sacrifices most are making to go to your DW but at the end of the day they want to do this for you and love you! so enjoy!!!

Originally Posted by Sophia2616 View Post

I had my bridal shower 2 weeks ago and it was amazing!! I got to celebrate with all my friends and family some who cant make the trip to Mexico (my fiancee's grandma and aunts) and they were so excited to be able to share this moment with us. If your mom or bridal party offer just accept it! It really was so awesome, I am still smiling 2 weeks later. Not gonna lie having so much attention and pple wanting to do such nice things for you can be overwhelming. Its a weird feeling because you know the sacrifices most are making to go to your DW but at the end of the day they want to do this for you and love you! so enjoy!!!

Awww, that's so great to hear! I'm glad you hear such a great time at your shower. :)