Photo

Gluten Free bakery in Playa Del Carmen?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kard613

kard613
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Has anyone worked with or know of any bakeries who have gluten free cakes? My fianc© has several family members (including my FMIL) who have celiacs and I'd like to be able for them to enjoy dessert with us.

#2 JennyBenz

JennyBenz
    • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hi KARD!

I may not be a ton of help since my wedding is in Riviera Maya, but I had to reply b/c I have Celiac and know how hard it must be trying to accomodate to everyone with this. It's sweet of you to think of their special diet & that you want to have a little something for them =)

For my resort, they actually make GF baked goods on-site, so I was lucky and didn't have to look elsewhere. But, check with your resort because they might be able to help you in getting some goodies for your guests! For my resort, they won't allow me to bring in "outside" food of any kind, b/c of health laws & regulations, so check w/ your WC before anything. I searched a little bit for anything GF related in Playa and nothing of use turned up. Wish I could help sorry =( Good luck!

#3 kard613

kard613
      • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks! I actually found someone on another Playa Del Carmen message board that makes GF cakes and baked goods down there. She doesn't have a website but has a FB page, Pan Libre. I'll double check with my WC to see if they they have a problem with us bringing a small cake in from outside. I'm thinking that even if they say no how they stop us if we go pick it up, especially if its just a small cake or a few cupcakes. Happy Planning!

#4 JennyBenz

JennyBenz
        • 338 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I hope they'll allow to have it there! My resort said if I were to bring in something that's not from their resort they wouldn't allow it to be served =( Hopefully they don't give you a problem!! That's great that you were able to find something!

Originally Posted by kard613 

Thanks! I actually found someone on another Playa Del Carmen message board that makes GF cakes and baked goods down there. She doesn't have a website but has a FB page, Pan Libre. I'll double check with my WC to see if they they have a problem with us bringing a small cake in from outside. I'm thinking that even if they say no how they stop us if we go pick it up, especially if its just a small cake or a few cupcakes.

Happy Planning!

#5 stellar003

stellar003
          • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks! I actually found someone on another Playa Del Carmen message board that makes GF cakes and baked goods down there. She doesn't have a website but has a FB page, Pan Libre. I'll double check with my WC to see if they they have a problem with us bringing a small cake in from outside. I'm thinking that even if they say no how they stop us if we go pick it up, especially if its just a small cake or a few cupcakes.

Happy Planning!

Kard,

I just got married May 3rd and I used Pan Libre. The gf cake was amazing and the Barcelo Maya Palace did not charge anything extra for them to bring it onto the property. If it is allergy related and they can't provide an acceptable alternative, they can't really make a big deal of it. I had them deliver it to my room the next day and we snacked on it for two days after. Even my husband loved it (and he hates gf food!).

Good luck.

Stephanie

#6 kard613

kard613
            • 225 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

This is great news Stephanie! I've been in contact with them and am trying to decide between a small cake of a few cupcakes, there are 3 people who have celiacs coming so I'm kinda leaning towards cupcakes. What type of cake did you get and how was it decorated? I'm waiting for an email back from Raquel now.

#7 stellar003

stellar003
              • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

This is great news Stephanie! I've been in contact with them and am trying to decide between a small cake of a few cupcakes, there are 3 people who have celiacs coming so I'm kinda leaning towards cupcakes. What type of cake did you get and how was it decorated? I'm waiting for an email back from Raquel now.

I am so sorry it took me this long to respond..I actually got my account frozen for posting a review of my hair and make-up vendor in the wrong spot (which meant I couldn't send any messages)!! Grrr. Anyway, I hope it's not too late. I think that in your case, the cupcakes would be fine. Because both my son and I are gluten sensitive, it was worth it to me to get the whole cake (I had been dieting and I knew that I would eat my fair share ;)  My cake was vanilla with white frosting and chocolate cream on one inside layer. I originally wanted the "look" of fondant, but Raquel doesn't use fondant and I ended up happy that she doesn't. I loved the taste of the frosting and I really don't like the taste of fondant much. Our reception was outdoors at night and unfortunately I don't have a good photo of the cake yet (it will be awhile before we have our professional photos...sigh...). Anyway, good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions. ~Stephanie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users