Photo

Have you considered having a winter wedding?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
  • 562 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

We here at BDW love a good beach wedding, and it’s certainly what most people think of when they picture a destination wedding, but there’s something to be said about a gorgeous winter setting. Right now is the perfect time of year for a winter wedding getaway and we thought we’d share our picks for the top 5 winter wedding destinations. If your dream wedding involves more snow than sand, follow along for some ideas on where to go!

Click here for the full article to see what made the list!

Plus, enter BDW's first Pin-It-to-Win-It contest by creating a winter wedding themed Pinterest board for a chance to win a $50 spa gift card!

#2 GauchoSteph

GauchoSteph
  • Huddler
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Amazing suggestions!!! I just got back from Tahoe - there's something incredibly romantic about the mountains and fresh air!

#3 Barash

Barash
    • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I actually considered "snowy" wedding. My FH and I do ski, so I was picturing something in Alps - France or Austria. The ceremony at the peak with amazing view and then something cozy in the evening with the fireplace (or fire outside!) for the reception. There were several show stoppers for me though:

- the cold - I am a sun loving being and I feel more comfortable at +35C than at -35C. Of course you'd rarely have a really cold weather in the Alps, but still I prefer warm beach to winter mountains.

- the dress - that partially comes from the cold. I just don't see myself in (any) wedding dress in winter. I don't even wear causal skirts in winter, and wool sweaters are my best friends in cold weather, so to compromise a nice wedding dress for an astonishing view wasn't in my plans.

- the price - clearly Alps are more expensive than many southern destinations.

Maybe we should consider it for the vows renewal? ;)

#4 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
      • 562 posts
      • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
      • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I want to do most of these things just for fun on vacation! Always wanted to go to an ice hotel and on an Alaskan cruise, and now I have to go on an alpine slide or my life won't be complete! Haha.

#5 monicas

monicas
      • Huddler
      • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Great article, Alexis! 

One other location that pops to my mind in addition to the ones that you suggested is the Ahwanee Hotel in Yosemite. I've never stayed there, but I've stopped there many times over the years to eat lunch, grab a drink or shop at their amazing hotel store. I heard it's also a popular wedding spot - for the summer time, they have a wedding lawn in the back of the hotel. There's also a super small wooden chapel in Yosemite Valley, very close to the hotel, where you can officiate the wedding. I'm doing a lot of free advertising for this place, but I'm seriously in love with it. It has so much character, the architecture is absolutely stunning and it's also super charming and romantic. I've honestly considered getting married there. In winter time, it gets even more magical, as it's surrounded by towering peaks covered in snow. Here are some photos: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users