#1 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
  • 562 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

We’re several weeks into the new year now and if you’re like a majority of the population, you resolved to lose weight in 2013; either in preparation of your upcoming destination wedding, or just to be a better, healthier you. If you’ve stuck with your resolution so far and have started to make changes to your diet or fitness routine you’re already ahead of the curve as studies show most people abandon their resolutions early on. Go you! For anyone who’s looking for a little inspiration or some tips and support, look no further than our guide!

Be Specific!

Set a specific goal. You already know you want to lose weight. Do you want to lose inches? Pounds? Fit into a specific dress size? If you take the time to consider your desired end result it helps focus your overall plan.

Be Realistic!

Make sure your goal is reasonable. Are you starting this new plan with only a couple months to go? If so, you might want to adjust the goal you have in mind to fit the time constraints. Or does your preferred method cost money you may not have now that you’re saving for a wedding? If you have your eye on gym memberships, personal training or boot camps that can be expensive, consider purchasing weight loss DVDs or finding streaming workout options on and working out in your own home. To get started, here are some of our favorite workout DVDs at various price points:

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred ($8.15 on Amazon)

Jillian Michaels 6-Week Six-Pack ($7.72 on Amazon)

Gaiam Resistance Cord Workout ($19.95 on Amazon)

Crunch Fat-Burning Pilates ($6.49 on Amazon)

Lauren Brooks Kettlebell Lightning ($34.95 on Amazon)

The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Weight Loss Yoga ($7.72 on Amazon)

Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo - Instructional Workout, Basic, Advanced, 8-Minute Workout ($58.18 on Amazon)

Be Proactive!

Make a plan for how you are going to accomplish your goals. Are you going to count calories? Cut out carbs? Join a gym? Sign up for boot camp? Buy and do workout DVDs? Whatever you decide, make sure you form a plan that takes into account both diet AND fitness. Doing one without the other won’t yield nearly as much results as doing them both at the same time. If you’re the type of person who does better planning everything out to the letter, make yourself a calendar and slot out your workout days and meals. Be sure to have plenty of “safe” foods like fruits, veggies and whole grains on hand so you can make healthy choices when hunger strikes.  If you’re short on time or just aren’t big on cooking, frozen foods can occasionally be healthy. Stick to frozen veggies or brown rice. For full meals, here’s a list of

Join Our Biggest Loser Contest!

Prefer your tips in quick bullet form? Here are some highlights and additional tips in do/don’t format. Let us know if we missed any!

Do:

• Set specific, realistic goals
  • Make a solid plan and stick to it
  • Keep healthy foods on hand
  • Watch portion sizes
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Get plenty of sleep
  • Track your progress
  • Get a workout/weight loss buddy

Don’t:

• Drink your calories
  • Skip meals
  • Beat yourself up if you temporarily get off track

Need more motivation?

Join our Biggest Loser contest for a chance to win some money!

Connect with other users in the official P90x support group thread!

Connect with other users in the official Insanity support group thread!

Good luck!!

Tip:  You can read this in article form here: http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/a/losing-weight-for-the-new-year-your-wedding and you can subscribe to articles by clicking the "articles" heading/button right below your Best Destination Wedding Activity window on BDW main.

#2 GauchoSteph

GauchoSteph
  • Huddler
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

This is sooo helpful! I don't have a wedding date set, but these tips are always good to keep in mind. I am going to be headed back to Hawaii in 6 weeks.... so READY, SET, GO! 

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

great tips Alexis!

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 uhura526

uhura526
    • 330 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Excellent tips, Alexis!  You have motivated me to give the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred a try. I am a bit fed up of the gym and want to try something different to possibly drop another 10lbs before my wedding in April so why not?  

#5 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
      • 562 posts
      • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Awesome! Good luck!!

#6 CourtandMatt

CourtandMatt
      • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great advice, Alexis!   My greatest advice is to do a food diary with a calorie count.  And, to help, I highly recommend Calorie Counter website, http://caloriecount.about.com/.   I have been logging everything I eat for about three weeks, which helped a lot with monitoring what I eat.  Then, in the last week I have been writing down my calories and, wow, it really opened my eyes.  I found that I had been eating 1000 + calories just for dinner!   And, it wasn't even keeping me full!  I just didn't realize how many calories breads and pasta have.  I have really changed my eating habits and now my dress is already fitting a lot better!  

Good luck, ladies!

Court

p.s. The food diary is even better if you do it with a friend.  I am doing it with a friend through Google Docs.  

#7 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
        • 562 posts
        • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by CourtandMatt 

Great advice, Alexis!   My greatest advice is to do a food diary with a calorie count.  And, to help, I highly recommend Calorie Counter website, http://caloriecount.about.com/.   I have been logging everything I eat for about three weeks, which helped a lot with monitoring what I eat.  Then, in the last week I have been writing down my calories and, wow, it really opened my eyes.  I found that I had been eating 1000 + calories just for dinner!   And, it wasn't even keeping me full!  I just didn't realize how many calories breads and pasta have.  I have really changed my eating habits and now my dress is already fitting a lot better!  

Good luck, ladies!

Court

p.s. The food diary is even better if you do it with a friend.  I am doing it with a friend through Google Docs.  

A food diary is a great tip!! And they make it so easy now with apps, as you mentioned. I too had the crazy calorie realization after I started using the My Fitness Pal app.

#8 cerise

cerise
        • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Good advice. Will have to start counting my calories too. Any tips as to a good (free to download) app?

#9 CourtandMatt

CourtandMatt
          • 366 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Good advice. Will have to start counting my calories too. Any tips as to a good (free to download) app?

Look up Calorie Count. They have an app that makes it easy to find the amount of calories in just about everything! And they tell you what you are lacking in nutrition!

#10 cerise

cerise
            • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users