worried about low attendance for our wedding

BethandBill

We have just set the date 5/3/14 and put a deposit for our Beaches Turks and Caicos wedding,  and as we are letting people know, Im realizing that friends and family I assumed would go, are probably not going. I know we will have a blast and it's our day, but Im starting to get disappointed. Has anyone else dealt with this? 

• Like 1

Hey there!  Yes, most definitely this is a common theme in planning destination weddings.  One of my bridesmaids dropped out on me halfway through the planning process.  I was also disappointed at time, but like you said, it's your day and you will have a fabulous time with your new husband and the people that do join you!

• Like 1

Similar to tkuzma, one of my bridesmaid also dropped out on me near the deadline for placing the deposit for the group rate. I was so disappointed that she couldn't come because she had to start school that September (I'm getting married in November). There's really nothing else you can do. I talked to my FI and he cheered me up. At the end, all that matters is you're there to get married to the love of your life. Happy planning :)

It all depends on if you have the people coming who mean the most to you. We only have 17 and I knew this going in and I am ok with that! I am 4 months out and also have to assume that someone will cancel on me. If the group had gotten too small I would have considered just getting married him and I on the beach by ourselves, then having a reception at home. You might consider this! It's less stressful and romantic at the same time.

Just give it time, I was having the same feelings and have been greatly surprised. A friend told me that the people you expect to come, will probably disappoint, but the people you invite but don't really expect to attend, will! She has been correct for the most part and it's alright. Come on over to the Beaches Turks & Caicos Roll Call thread and you'll see. Your guests will book, it's still extremely early and people are thinking about taxes and the summer etc. They're thinking that it's too expensive right now, but they will realize as time goes on that  they will have a great time and want to attend. Plus they will really want to support you and the future husband!

I agree with the other girls! It's too early to start to panic just yet. I'm 5 months out and people just started to book. For some reason people seem to wait until the last minute. And like others say, the people you think you know will be there for sure, won't make it. The people you thought wouldn't come will be the ones who come!

I see your wedding date is over a year away. I'm sure a lot of people will change their minds between now and closer to the date. People are often afraid of saying yes and then disappointing you later with a 'no', so instead a lot of people just wait on it to figure out how their lives/finances, etc play out. 

We decided to do a DW and just talked it over with our parents and siblings and their partners before we made any big decisions. Once we realized they were on board, we went ahead with it and thought if anyone else at all comes it's just a sweet bonus. So far we have about 18 coming which has completely surprised us. Like the PP have said, in the end as long as you and your FI can make it, you're golden! That's all that matters.

• 4 months later...

I worried at first too, then everyone & their dog (lol) started booking. Now I'm freaking because I have alot of extra OOT bags & seating arrangements to budget for... Best to just look at the bright side of any situation & not take it personally. If few people go, you save $ & have a more intimate affair...if many go, you have a large group to hang with.  No matter what you still get married & it will be amazing :)