Jump to content

Photo

Seating charts


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dazeydawl

Dazeydawl
  • Member
  • 861 posts

    Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

    Sorry I didn't see this question anywhere, maybe because its a silly question but I haven't really been to any weddings so I have no idea. But anyways, traditionally are you supposed to do a master seating chart so guests know what table they are at and then have place cards at the table at everyone's individual seat? Or do you use the place cards as part of the master chart and guests choose their own seat at the table? Or is it fine to not do a seating chart and just do place cards and have everyone just find their seat? Sorry this is all just confusing me. I'm also not sure what to do so the wait staff knows the entree choices. What if people switch seats and not stay where I put them?

    #2 shannonmarie

    shannonmarie
    • Member
    • 683 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 14, 2013
    • Wedding Location:Now Jade Rivera Cancun - Pergola
    • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

    Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

    Originally Posted by Dazeydawl 

    Sorry I didn't see this question anywhere, maybe because its a silly question but I haven't really been to any weddings so I have no idea. But anyways, traditionally are you supposed to do a master seating chart so guests know what table they are at and then have place cards at the table at everyone's individual seat? Or do you use the place cards as part of the master chart and guests choose their own seat at the table? Or is it fine to not do a seating chart and just do place cards and have everyone just find their seat? Sorry this is all just confusing me. I'm also not sure what to do so the wait staff knows the entree choices. What if people switch seats and not stay where I put them?

    This part confused me too, but here's what I decided to do... I am making place cards/escort cards that will be displayed on a table as they enter the reception (or possibly at cocktail hour, I haven't figured that out yet) There will be a card for each guest along with their table number. I will also have a sign on the table that says something to the affect of "Please find your name and your table number, please place your card in front of you so your meal choice is brought to you" The only reason I decided to add the sign is because I have heard of people picking up their escort card and putting it in their pocket or something which is pointless if the server can't see the card with their meal choice. When they get to their assigned table, they can sit where ever they'd like at the table. I found little pictures of fish, beef, etc that will also be displayed on each person's card so the server will know what to bring them. I will let my wedding coordinator know how many of each dish at each table.

     

    Hope this helps! 


    62 guest booked, plus Bride and Groom!


    #3 agm04

    agm04
    • Member
    • 548 posts

      Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

      Our guests will be ordering when they sit down, so we don't have the meal choice issue, but here's my plan.  Instead of a seating chart, I'm just going to have a list, in alphabetical order by table.  So:

       

      Table 1:

      Mr. and Mrs. Jane Doe

      Mr. and Mrs. John Smith

       

      Table 2:

      Mr. and Mrs. Allen

      Mr. and Mrs. Whatever

       

      And then they will have to find their seat at that table, where I will have place cards.  No clue if this is the "preferred" method, but I just think it's the easiest, cleanest way to do it.



      #4 Sophia2616

      Sophia2616
      • Newbie
      • 143 posts

        Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

        Great question I have been to weddings that have both. We are using an old window frame and having cardstock hang from a clothes pin(1 paper for each table) with the names of each guest printed on the cardstock..Table 1 and then under will have the names of those guests. etc. We will display it at the entrance



        #5 Dazeydawl

        Dazeydawl
        • Member
        • 861 posts

          Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

          Great question I have been to weddings that have both. We are using an old window frame and having cardstock hang from a clothes pin(1 paper for each table) with the names of each guest printed on the cardstock..Table 1 and then under will have the names of those guests. etc. We will display it at the entrance

          I've seen that idea and I love it. I would just be scared of the frame breaking. Is it the place card hanging from the clothes pin? Do guests take that and sit where ever they want at the table? How are you doing entree choices?

          #6 Sophia2616

          Sophia2616
          • Newbie
          • 143 posts

            Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

            I actually bought the frame with no glass! My guest as they go up the stairs to the deck (where the reception is) the frame will be on an easle or table and they will just glance (find thier name and it will say what table number) They wont take it; here is a link of

             

            http://www.etsy.com/...f=usr_faveitems

             

            These are tags:

            http://www.etsy.com/...f=usr_faveitems

             

            For the menu we had to write the options on our invite becuase we need to let the place know 60 days before so I am just giving my excel spreadsheet (by table and person) of who is eating what to our wedding planner and she will advise the chef.



            #7 uhura526

            uhura526
            • Jr. Member
            • 330 posts

              Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

              Originally Posted by agm04 

              Our guests will be ordering when they sit down, so we don't have the meal choice issue, but here's my plan.  Instead of a seating chart, I'm just going to have a list, in alphabetical order by table.  So:

               

              Table 1:

              Mr. and Mrs. Jane Doe

              Mr. and Mrs. John Smith

               

              Table 2:

              Mr. and Mrs. Allen

              Mr. and Mrs. Whatever

               

              And then they will have to find their seat at that table, where I will have place cards.  No clue if this is the "preferred" method, but I just think it's the easiest, cleanest way to do it.

              So you aren't doing escort cards?  Also, how will you display this list?



              #8 agm04

              agm04
              • Member
              • 548 posts

                Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

                Originally Posted by uhura526 

                So you aren't doing escort cards?  Also, how will you display this list?

                We're not - here's what the place cards are going to look like (this one is bad because it was a practice one, and I haven't taken any other pics yet but you get the idea!).  The names will be written on the round capiz shells.

                 

                 

                 

                So originally I wanted to have the capiz shells in a tray full of sand as escort cards - and I may still do some version of that - but it was going to be a nightmare trying to get people to put them in the candle holders, and I thought that seemed weird.  I was thinking I'd have 2 copies of the list and display them in large frames.  But I may go back to an escort card if I can't come up with a good solution.

                 

                 

                 

                 



                #9 Cassie South

                Cassie South
                • Vendor
                • 97 posts

                  Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

                  Hello Ladies,

                   

                  Just a few notes on this! Everyone does have a personal preference of how they like to coordinate the reception dinner.
                  You may choose to assign each guest to a specific seat or a specific table which keeps things more organized and trying to keep a good balance at each table.
                  From experience we have found that having a master seating chart or escort cards are very helpful, you can choose to do place cards in a creative way if you wish.

                  If you are having speeches or announcements try to place the guests giving them facing the wedding group so they will not have their back turned to anyone.
                  Another helpful hint is to try to place pregnant, disabled, any guests with children as well as elderly guests somewhat closer to where the bathrooms and other facilities are accessible.

                   

                  For a thought, a really neat and personal touch is having pictures of the bride & groom at a certain age represent the table number.
                  That way your guests can enjoy looking at pictures of the both of you at a young age as well as locate their table number!

                  There are several themes and ideas you can do with table numbers and name cards as well it always looks nice if the colours match the decorations!

                   

                  I hope a few of these hints helped!



                  #10 agm04

                  agm04
                  • Member
                  • 548 posts

                    Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

                    Thanks for the tips!

                     

                    After thinking about this a little more, I think I may do those cute, tiny messages in a bottle as escort cards and leave my place cards as is.  Why not?






                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users