Hello, everyone! For those of you that don't know, my name is Ann and I'm a moderator on this forum. I've been a member since 2006 (gasp!) and was married at Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta in June 2007. I'm not as active on here as I'd like to be, but I still hang around! I'm mostly in the parenting forums as I have a 4.5 and 2 year old, and in the Caletas thread but I'm trying to get around to the rest of the sub-forums these days. Anyway ...
For those of you that have been around a while, you may remember that I (and others as well) would coordinate a BDW Biggest Loser competition. Basically, you signed up for an 8-12 week "season" and would email/text/PM me your weigh in every week w/a picture of the scale. Then I'd post weekly results (just for bragging rights!) and then a final result at the end of the season. The winner was determined by the highest % lost.
It started out that we'd pay an entry fee of $5-$10 and the winner would get the pot. I stopped "hosting" the competition when it became clear that there were some bad seeds that were trying to cheat. Then someone else picked it up (can't remember who, sorry!) and ran it w/o the $$ factor.
Because this was such a hit for so long (my first time doing this on BDW was in March of 2008!), and its a new year and many of us are trying to look and feel better, I thought I'd check to see if there's any interest in starting up again. I'd be happy to host as I already have the complicated spreadsheet all ready to go!
I'd like some feedback from you to see if there is enough interest in getting this started again. Whether or not we involve $$ again is kind of up to you, but I will say that I will have a very small tolerance for anyone trying to cheat or bend the rules. The idea of this competition is to get the support from others on here and the money is just supposed to be a little extra motivation, and perhaps a way to buy yourself a present if you win!
In the past I've also seen members take the responsibility of coming up with a new challenge every week (20 sit ups, walk 1 mile, whatever), or a new weekly recipe to try. That part is up to you all, you can tailor this however you want ... my job would be to just collect and organize the weigh ins, enforce the rules (that you come up with), and announce winners!
Ok, enough rambling ... here's what I need from you ...
1) Are you interested in participating?
2) If so, would you want to have an entry fee? How much? I'd suggest $1-$10.
3) How long should the "season" be; typically they've been 8-12 weeks.
4) Do we want to require pictures for weigh ins, or should participants be totally on their honor? (I realize you can also fake a picture).
5) When would you want to start?
6) I am posting some of the past rules below; please let me know if you think there should be any changes/additions.
7) Any other feedback?
Here are some links from past seasons if you want to check them out:
Season 6 (I think this was the last one I hosted)
Season 9 (this seems to be the last one on BDW)
BDW Biggest Loser Rules
*Entry Fee: $10
*Contest starts the week of February 4th, 2013
*Contest lasts 10 weeks, with the final weigh-in the week of April 15th, 2013
*Winner gets the pot ($$), bragging rights, and a slimmer body!
Email Address for all communication and PayPal: BDWBiggestLoser@yahoo.com
1. Let me know that you are going to participate either by sending me a PM, email or via your initial weigh-in. Please include your BDW Username in any emails!
2. PayPal me the entry fee by the start of the competition to BDWBiggestLoser@yahoo.com.
3. You can take a before picture and keep it in your files to reference at the end of the competition. (optional) You can also share if you'd like!
4. Every week starting on the start date (see above), PM, text or email AnnR your weight along with a picture of the scale, and if the number on the scale isn't clear, please also type in the weight in your message. You may choose your own weigh in day, M-F but must be consistent with that day during the duration of the competition. If you weigh in Monday one week,and Wednesday the next, your weigh in will be considered late.
5. At the end of the competition, you can take an "after" picture and post it along with the "before" picture to show off your results! (optional)
- Ann will calculate percentage of weight loss from week-to-week (for fun and motivation), as well as the overall loss. This will be posted some time on the day following the weigh-in. There will be a "weekly winner" every week; this is meant to encourage you all and has no influence on who will win the overall competition.
- The one who lost the most weight in terms of % loss at the end of competition wins! This is based on your start and end weights.
- On the last day of the contest (see above), if Ann does not receive your picture and weigh in on that day, you are not eligible to win.
- If you do not send in your weight on time for 2 weeks in a row w/o letting Ann know in advance that you're out that week for good reason (vacation, illness, etc.), you will be disqualified.
- You may choose your own weigh in day of the week, M-F but must be consistent with that day during the duration of the competition. For example, if you weigh in Monday one week and Wednesday the next, your weigh in will be considered late and not count.
- For any and all communication for this contest, please send Ann a PM (username: AnnR) or email if it's something that requires attention. Ann does her best to keep up on this thread, but does miss things so your best bet is to send a message.
- If you are banned from the forum for any reason, you could also be disqualified from the competition and your money will not be refunded.