Wearing your hair down for your beach/outdoors ceremony? Advice & Tips Please :)

Hello Ladies :)

I'm really considering wearing my hair down and natural for my beach ceremony and would love to hear feedback and advice.  If there are any previous brides that tried this or new brides looking to wear your hair down, I would love advice on the best hairspray or different ideas on executing this risky hairdo. Also, if anyone has pictures, I would love to see them!! 

Thanks!! 

Sarah

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sarah,

I'd be interested in what other brides have to say here too.  I'm going to do mine half up/half down but I have really thick hair - sort of like Monica on Friends when they went to Barbados when it gets too humid, lol!  I am nervous it's going to grow or frizz out too much but I really don't like mine up.  I am thinking no matter what some kind of frizz serum or something will be necessary.  I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread for any advice! 

Hi ladies,

I was married in November at EDR.  I grew my hair out nice and long for a year and a half because I really wanted to wear it half up, keeping the length hanging down my back. Although everyone I talked to said to wear it up - at least then I know exactly what I'd get vs. something that falls. I went down to Mexico with two inspiration pics - one an undo, the other a half-up/half-down style. 

Once we got to the resort, I realized it was pretty windy on the beach, and that an updo was going to be "it". I had my hair rehearsal for the updo, and loved it. She then restyled my hair so it was more of a half-up style since we had our welcome dinner that night. That's when I really came to terms with the fact that the half-up style would drive me CRAZY in the wind. 

On our wedding day, it was even more windy on the beach. I did the updo, and my veil still blew off 3 times (I didn't secure it as much as we should have). 

I'd highly suggest having both an updo and a half updo in mind. Then you can check out your ceremony location once you get there for the "wind factor". And of course you'll know how humid it is and if you end up like Monica... 

You can always do a TTD or day-after shoot and have your hair down later. 

Hi Allie,

Thanks for the advice.  I think even though I don't like my hair much in an updo it's going to come down to a spur of the moment decision like with yours.  I am getting married right on the beach so I imagine we'll have wind.  I am not having a veil for that very reason.  I have seen some updos that I DO like, it's just how I look in an updo that I'm not much a fan of.  I'm still not even sure if I'm going to have my sister do my hair or go to the spa for a trial and on the actual day have them recreate the look.  I guess the best thing is flexibility! 

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

Hi ladies,

I was married in November at EDR.  I grew my hair out nice and long for a year and a half because I really wanted to wear it half up, keeping the length hanging down my back. Although everyone I talked to said to wear it up - at least then I know exactly what I'd get vs. something that falls. I went down to Mexico with two inspiration pics - one an undo, the other a half-up/half-down style. 

Once we got to the resort, I realized it was pretty windy on the beach, and that an updo was going to be "it". I had my hair rehearsal for the updo, and loved it. She then restyled my hair so it was more of a half-up style since we had our welcome dinner that night. That's when I really came to terms with the fact that the half-up style would drive me CRAZY in the wind. 

On our wedding day, it was even more windy on the beach. I did the updo, and my veil still blew off 3 times (I didn't secure it as much as we should have). 

I'd highly suggest having both an updo and a half updo in mind. Then you can check out your ceremony location once you get there for the "wind factor". And of course you'll know how humid it is and if you end up like Monica... 

You can always do a TTD or day-after shoot and have your hair down later. 

I'm right there with you MyTye! I do NOT like the way I look with my hair up either - it still wasn't what I wanted for my wedding, but I wanted to get married on the beach more than I wanted to wear my hair down lol it's all about trade offs. And you never know - you may get lucky and it won't be windy when you are down there!! 

Originally Posted by MyTye2B View Post

Hi Allie,

Thanks for the advice.  I think even though I don't like my hair much in an updo it's going to come down to a spur of the moment decision like with yours.  I am getting married right on the beach so I imagine we'll have wind.  I am not having a veil for that very reason.  I have seen some updos that I DO like, it's just how I look in an updo that I'm not much a fan of.  I'm still not even sure if I'm going to have my sister do my hair or go to the spa for a trial and on the actual day have them recreate the look.  I guess the best thing is flexibility! 

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

I'm right there with you MyTye! I do NOT like the way I look with my hair up either - it still wasn't what I wanted for my wedding, but I wanted to get married on the beach more than I wanted to wear my hair down lol it's all about trade offs. And you never know - you may get lucky and it won't be windy when you are down there!! 

Haha, yes the trade offs - I want the beach wedding but I definitely don't want the Monica look!  :)

Originally Posted by MissyBee View Post

I would also like to wear my hair down and curled, maybe with one side pinned back with a flower. I would love to hear others' exeriences.

That's exactly my plan! :) The only difference is that I'm going to have birdcage veil with the flower clip. My hair length is barely shoulder length, so I'm crossing my fingers the wind won't be a problem.