Reading this thread has me nervous. My wedding isn't until 2015, but I know how my family operates. LOL I'm on the fence about reserving a block of rooms b/c I don't want to get stuck with paying. It has been a struggle getting some of my family to apply for their passports. I'm praying this will not be a nightmare. We have two guests lists. One is for those that we are sure will be on the ball and the other is for those who just may get a wedding announcement instead of an invitation. Sounds horrible, but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a good plan to me. My wedding is in June 2014 and I sent Save The Dates in May 2013. I only reserved rooms for those we were pretty sure would come. I've split my guest list into 3 parts, A, B and C - the ones I know will come, the ones who may come and the ones I know won't come but will want an invitation anyway. Almost everyone on the A list booked within the 30 days per my contract. A couple of the B list have also booked. Of course, some of the people who have put down deposits don't have their passports yet. I'll send them reminders with the formal invitations I plan to send in January. Plus, I'll send another reminder in mid-March since payment in full and a final count is due April 4th. I decided to only send out invitations and skip the announcements to save money. My family operates like yours. LOL!!