8281 replies to this topic

#3161 JayKay

JayKay
  • 3,472 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
  • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
  • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Are you planning on eliminating the straps completely and going with a strapless sweetheart neckline, or just make the cups more into a sweetheart?

Originally Posted by Starfish0512 

Does anyone have any experience with altering the neckline of their dress? I have found a pronovias dress "abaco" that is super flattering, extremely comfortable, lightweught, etc... But I want a sweetheart neckline.  I have spoken with the seamstress at the shoppe, she seems very confident that she can do it, it seems like it would be easy enough, it does however make me super nervous to alter a dress like that.  I feel as though this could be "it" don't really feel like looking anymore but what if?  Please share experiences if you have, thoughts too please! 

Here's the dress...

1289892727996_350x350.jpg

#3162 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I've fallen in love with a pronovias as well that I plan on altering to a sweetheart removing the straps!  I have seen a few girls do this I think it depends on the seamstress as I have seen some I like and some I dont, but saying that it may have been the preference of the bride!

Does anyone have any experience with altering the neckline of their dress? I have found a pronovias dress "abaco" that is super flattering, extremely comfortable, lightweught, etc... But I want a sweetheart neckline.  I have spoken with the seamstress at the shoppe, she seems very confident that she can do it, it seems like it would be easy enough, it does however make me super nervous to alter a dress like that.  I feel as though this could be "it" don't really feel like looking anymore but what if?  Please share experiences if you have, thoughts too please! 

Here's the dress...

1289892727996_350x350.jpg

#3163 daisymable

daisymable
    • 278 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Gorgeous!

Originally Posted by bulldogs11 

Just bought and ordered my dress 3 weeks ago!  In the picture the top of the dress looks white but the actual dress is all ivory, I guess the lighting kinda made it look 2 toned, but it's not. Don't have a picture of the back, but it just zips up and there are crystals going down the part where it zips. 

get-attachment.aspx.jpgphoto.PNG

#3164 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
      • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

@ Brenners - what a great idea! Never thought of asking! Thinking I may have to go to NY for that kind of request.   

@JayKay -  Removing the straps completely, turn into a sweetheart neckline.  The seamstress folded the straps in created a v in the back too, looks gorgeous!

@ToriLynn - which pronovias are you considering?!  I have found one from the 2012 collection that I really want to try as well but it's not in stores yet...  Thinking a trip to NY may be required.

What's amazing about this whole ordeal is that I found this dress on Newbury St in Boston at what I thought was a very reasonable price. They offered to sell me the sample - great condition and do the alterations, simple right? So I stop into this little shanty of a bridal shop, knowing they carry pronovias, VERY surprised by the way the shop looks - pure judgement call here - to find out they have the dress, will order me a new one (this is where I worked with the alterations lady directly), do the alterations there of course for $1000 CHEAPER!!!!   To me it's a no brainer - order the dress but it's that what if that's stopping me!

So I stopped into this little shant So I stopped into this little shanty

#3165 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
        • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

my computer hates me right now, sorry for the misprint at the end of the post...

#3166 JoanneIreland

JoanneIreland
          • 860 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Starfish, which store was it? Was it La Sposa in Waltham?

#3167 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
            • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

I am looking at Galante, it is from 2010 I believe but made it into the 2011 collection as well.  They have Fresa now as well which is a sweetheart" version of the galante but there are several differences that I am not sure about.  I think I will stick with Galante and have the changes made.  

What is the 2012 dress you are looking at? I would love to check it out!!!

#3168 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
              • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

L'Elite on Newbury...  It dawned on me last night that when a salon asks for your budget at the beginning of the appointment, they really can charge you whatever they want for a gown.  An upscale salon like that purposely doesn't put prices on theri gowns.  I was astonished when I saw the price in the shanty bridal salon.

Originally Posted by JoanneIreland 

Starfish, which store was it? Was it La Sposa in Waltham?

#3169 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
                • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

galante is gorgeous! love fresa too!!    from 2012 in the fashion collection I am looking at paraje, paris (removing strap), and one other can't think of the name. 

I just called pronovias to see if I could order abaco as a sweetheart and the girl told me it can not be done or altered because there is no internal boning or structure to the dress to hold it up. It needs straps.  I didn't even consider this point and thinking forward they would have to pur boning into the dress for structure which would probably show because its chiffon...  I *might* have made an appointment in NYC to go to the flagship store for tomorrow...  Yes I am that impulsive, can't help it :)

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

I am looking at Galante, it is from 2010 I believe but made it into the 2011 collection as well.  They have Fresa now as well which is a sweetheart" version of the galante but there are several differences that I am not sure about.  I think I will stick with Galante and have the changes made.  

What is the 2012 dress you are looking at? I would love to check it out!!!

#3170 JayKay

JayKay
                  • 3,472 posts
                  • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
                  • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
                  • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thats the thing I was worried about, no boning in it.  I had found a dress I loved and wanted to alter it and it couldn't be done unless I wanted to put boning in it but it would have been noticably and you would be able to see it.  I'm glad you called and found out before you ordered the dress!  I wonder if you could find a dress maker to make you the same dress but with the boning and sweetheart neckline for a reasonable price?

galante is gorgeous! love fresa too!!    from 2012 in the fashion collection I am looking at paraje, paris (removing strap), and one other can't think of the name. 

I just called pronovias to see if I could order abaco as a sweetheart and the girl told me it can not be done or altered because there is no internal boning or structure to the dress to hold it up. It needs straps.  I didn't even consider this point and thinking forward they would have to pur boning into the dress for structure which would probably show because its chiffon...  I *might* have made an appointment in NYC to go to the flagship store for tomorrow...  Yes I am that impulsive, can't help it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users