Tanning advice and deals on where to tan?

brigopens

OK, first off, I'm a little opposed to posting in the "Ladies Lounge" but as someone who can be a little obsessive, I had to put this post where it belonged, even if it felt a little less masculine than I'd prefer!!!

Suprisingly, I couldn't find a post pertaining to tanning since this once about 8 or 9 months ago. Old tanning post

We're set on the idea of hitting a tanning salon to get some color before the wedding so I do not need to debate whether it's healthy, better/worse than spray on tanning, etc...

What I am wondering, is if someone knows the best way to find a deal on getting memberships for the next 6-8 weeks? Haven't looked too hard yet, or called around anywhere, but I figured that all of you resourceful people here might save me some time and make Amy happy by speeding this process up.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. We're in Texas (DFW area) but since a lot of the locations are nationwide, I'm hoping someone has some ideas...

I am also thinking about tanning before I head off to Mexico, too.

But I wasn't how early I should begin- I jsut want a nice color, but not a full blown tan. I've heard that the tan could look fake in the photographshuh.gif

I know that in my area (northern NJ) I have seen ads for Hollywood Tans offering $19.99 for one month unlimited membership...they are located around the US, also.

Do you guys get Clipper Magazine? We get it in the mail every month or so and it has a bunch of coupons for local businesses. Usually there are a ton of tanning salon ads and coupons in those that might help you out.

I did a stand up tanning booth and bought a one month unlimited membership. However, I tan really fast, so it probably would have been cheaper for me to just buy a block of about 5 or so sessions because that was all I needed to get as dark as I wanted to. I only spent 10 minutes per session in the booth.

So take that into account as well when picking out your plan... how fast you tan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by About2beMrsMartin View Post
I am also thinking about tanning before I head off to Mexico, too.
But I wasn't how early I should begin- I jsut want a nice color, but not a full blown tan. I've heard that the tan could look fake in the photographshuh.gif

I know that in my area (northern NJ) I have seen ads for Hollywood Tans offering $19.99 for one month unlimited membership...they are located around the US, also.
Depends on your skin. If I was going to tan, it would be better for me to start 3 months before & tan gradually. Tanning beds make me itchy & make my skin splotchy. They also break me out. I have to go for short times only a few times a week. Some people can tan for a month going almost everyday & get a nice tan. I decided to stop fighting it. My skin is light & hates tanning beds. I went on & off for a few years in college, but I don't go now.

I also think it's a good idea to cover your face with a towel sometimes. Some people do every other time & others do it for part of the time. You usually don't want your face to get too dark. It's also where the ageing effects will show up first & matter more. Plus, you will start getting white on your eyes from the googles. Do you watch sunset tan? One of the owners has very noticable tan lines on his eyes. A lot of people just don't wear them, but it's really bad for your eyes not to.

I never thought a tanning bed tan looked any faker than a real tan. It's usually just that people will overdo it or stay tan year round.

I don't have any input, but would love to see if anyone else has suggestions... we plan to start tanning the end of November (6-8 wks before we leave). I was hoping with 2 of us joining we might get a deal, but haven't looked into it yet.

honestly, unless you live in a small town with a tanning salon, you will have to go to the corporate ones and they are rather expensive. Its incredibly frustrating but Palm Beach Tan does offer some internet discounts that you can find on occasion. Otherwise just go to the salons and see what kind of special they are running.

As far as time to get tan, you will need to go once or twice a week until your wedding which is coming up very soon by the way!

Depending on your skin type you will need to start off really slow, like no more than 10 minutes from the start and work your way up to 15 minutes.

Also I recommend getting a bronzer lotion it tends to help the tan look a little more like you just went on vacation rather than the orange glow all the celebrities have.

the best deal around here (nj) is hollywood tans- even though it is still a bit of a rip off. it's $19.99 a month BUT you have to sign up for 3 months. you also have to make sure you cancel it before the cutoff date otherwise they continue to charge your credit card.