How much time do I need for a dress?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jenvh

• 135 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Here is my problem. I have to go to Chicago for work...I thought at the end of Oct for about 3 weeks. Now I find out I am going on Wednesday...yes, less than a week notice...and I will be there for probably 6 weeks at best.

I had an appointment at David's Bridal which I now have to cancel. By the time I am back home and able to shop (and I have to assume I won't find "the" dress the first day) it could be December before I am ready to buy a dress. Is this cutting it too close for a March 26 wedding?

#2 *JillD*

• 5,112 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Usually they tell you 4-6 months I think depending on where you get it and the designer.

What about finding a davids in chicago and trying some on while you're out there. Maybe even go to some other bridal shops while you're out there.

#3 Jenn

• 1,557 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

You could always order the dress in Chicago and have it altered at home. Some shops include alterations in the price, so you may even get a lower price. David's may even be able to have the dress shipped to a different store - that way you can shop and still have the dress sent home.

Either way, I would definitely shop before December. You may find something off the rack, in which case, no problem... but if you have to order, you'll be stressing in Dec. Good luck!

#4 beachbride08

• VIP Member
        • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

Why don't you make an appointment with David's bridal here? I'm sure if you find a dress they can still ship it to the David's bridal where you live.

#5 StephanieMN

• 1,798 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

Davids seems to have a fast turn around time and they sometimes have the dresses in stock! I think you should be just fine.

#6 Spazz

• VIP Member
            • 10,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

I would definitely try to go to some stores while you're in Chicago. I'd be nervous waiting til December to shop. Do you have any time to go before you leave for Chicago?

#7 jenvh

• 135 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have time before I leave. I was given less than a week notice I am going. Fun, huh?

I will try to make an appointment at a David's Bridal in chicago. I will have to wait until I get there to get the lay of the land. As far as I know I will be staying downtown. Any Chicago brides recommend any bridal shops other than David's?
                I at least need to get an idea of what styles I want. I hadn't thought about David's shipping it to my local store, but they probably would do that. Cross your fingers that I find something in stock and not on backorder.

#8 *JillD*

• 5,112 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

if you find something in a bridal shop out there, besides davids, I bet they could ship it to your house too, and then you could just get the alterations somewhere close to home. Just another idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users