Photo

Cymbidium orchid grower

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 MERRYME

MERRYME
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

I will be using them. At those prices I will be doing a sample shipping and trating my coordinator to some flowers! We will see how they do. I will let everyone know.
    Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
    22nd of December 2006

#12 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

Does anyone know if they ship to Puerto Vallarta?

#13 MERRYME

MERRYME
      • 324 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

sure they ship anywhere where there is an airport.

Shipping information to Cabo: Minimum of 5 boxes: $280 pesos per box
        For 12 boxes: $230 pesos per box.

So add at least $30 dls per box x5 = $150 dls.

I'm getting the info on how many orchids ina box. , etc..
        22nd of December 2006

#14 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
        • VIP Member
        • 931 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

let me know how it goes with them - I am still waiting on my florist

#15 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 24,768 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

This is something I'd definitely consider when I get to those details (am I that far behind for a June 2007 wedding?! I haven't booked a location yet, let alone thought about flowers - lol). I'd love to hear more about this place, and how it turns out.

#16 TammyB

TammyB
            • 10,630 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

It sounds to me that one would only benifit from them if they are having a large wedding, would that be your understanding?

#17 MERRYME

MERRYME
              • 324 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

Yea, you would benefit if you are doing a big wedding here is the breakdown:

Each flower costs $1.70
                You must buy at least 5 boxes @ a shipping cost of $30 dls per box =$150
                In each box there can be 3-5 flowering branches. In each branch there are between 8-12 orchids X 3-5 in each box= each box would at least have 30 to at most 50. So that breaks down to $1 to $.60 cents per orchid for shipping.

You would have to buy at least 150 -250 orchids-
                Approximate expense for 150 orchids $255 dls plus $150 shipping= $405 dls. ($2.70 each)
                Approximate expense for 250 orchids $425 dls plus $150 shipping=$575 dls ($2.30 each)

So yea this is only good for large weddings like mine. I will be needing at least:
                40 orchids for bouquet
                20 orchids for bridesmaids X6= 120
                10-12 orchids for centerpieces x15 tables = 150
                plus another 20-30 for hair bouttoniers, corsages etc...

My sister and I will be making everything the night before with BM's before rehersal dinner.
                22nd of December 2006

#18 TammyB

TammyB
                • 10,630 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

WOW.. you are going to be busy.. Question, 40 orchids in your bouquet? That seems like so many, I thought C. Orchids were a decent size flower, is your bouquet hand tied? You now have me worried that my bouquet is going to be too small.

#19 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 3,754 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

I literaly copied and pasted your post on word so i can add it to my lists of stuff i want! Let us know how they turn out.

By the way, did they give you any dates of when they are not available?

#20 MERRYME

MERRYME
                    • 324 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

I never thought to ask. I will have my coordinator ask them when they are in season.

They are large orchids but if you see Tammy's I think just on one side of her bouquet she counted 19 so I figured 40 would be good. I will not know how many I will use untill I start making them. I am wearing a very simple and elegant dress so I really want a large bouquet.

Tammym- Aren't you doing roses in yours too? The roses will fill in the bouquets nicely.

The orchids will need to be wired individually. and then you wrap floral tape arround the wire to make a "fake stem". Once they are all ready you just start making the bouquet. Once you are happy with what it looks like then you can wrap with floral tape again just to hold the shape (you can also use rubber bands). Then you can check for symetry (hope you don't have to take it appart and start again) FINAL step: wrap stems with sattin ribbon and hold in place with pins that have a pearl heads or tie in to a bow/ streamers.

You will need:
                      at least 4-6 pins
                      floral tape and wire
                      probably 1-2 yards of satting ribbon - This will depend on if you will have some streamers or a bow.

I tried a dry run with Roses that I got at Costco and it worked really well. It looked great as a centerpiece in a glass hurricane for sunday dinner with the rents!:)
                      22nd of December 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users