Cabo Photographers

westwoodian

Hello all,

I'll say something right away just to get it out of the way - I am the groom. :)

The reason I finally decided to sign up for this forum after having spent a few good hours reading through your posts, is that while we are almost done booking our vendors with a lot of help from all of you guys, I am stuck at booking a photographer.

First off, we were originally going to have our wedding in Los Angeles (where we live) but had a change of heart and decided to go for the destination wedding in Cabo. In my head, that also meant that all the vendors in Cabo would obviously be cheaper than LA..... wrong. But I am slowly getting over that. It's a one-time thing so I guess that we have to accept what we would otherwise call grossly overpriced services.

So, photographers... I went through about 30 of them, and picked a few from which I requested quotes. Most of them were way out of our budget (and I believe that we have a very reasonable budget to say the least at $3,000 --- used to be 2,000-2,500), and one of them was just at the peak of our budget. I don't want to mention a name but the reason we are still hesitant on booking that photographer is that we get a feeling that they are very full of themselves and may not actually let us take all the types of photos we would like. Also, it's very very hard to get in touch with that particular person which makes us worry.

I have been assigned the task of booking a photographer, and right when I was about to give up and hire a person that we are not 100% comfortable with, I checked back on this forum and searched a little more... Long story short, I found 4 more new photographers that had been hired by brides here at some point or another and I already contacted 2 of them and waiting to see what they say. That is why I started this thread. May this serve as a stepping stone for those who need some help figuring out their options.

It's easy to find the few photographers that have good websites, and you can also stumble upon a list or two with a lot of photographers... but those lists are outdated in my experience and it's hard to navigate through them. One of them is here - loscabosguide .com/photographers.htm

I kindly ask all of you who have either worked with a photographer in Cabo in the past, or those that have done their research and booked a photographer for their special day to tell the rest of us about it. To anyone that has searched in this forum, it's obvious that there are about 5 photographers that cover more than 70% of weddings in Cabo... and that's fine.. people are happy with them so by all means.. but I feel that there is a lot of hidden photography talent out there that just doesn't know how to market themselves effectively and be seen!! That's why I hope that you can help us and everybody else who is planning or will be planning a Cabo wedding in the future by listing some of those less popular but talented photographers.

Or just feel free to make any comments or share your advice!

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I booked Amy Bennett Photography for my upcoming wedding in Cabo San Lucas. She's fanatic & was willing to work within my BUDGET! Originally, I had my eye on Chris + Lynn Photography and Alec and T photography but their rates were too expensive for us. She has a full coverage rate of 6 hours of coverage for ~$4,250. She may be willing to work with your budget. I am paying around ~$6,000 for both photography and videography.

Below is her website & contact information. Our wedding is in May 2013.

http://www.amybennettphoto.com

amybennettvt@me.com

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a lot of research and viewing tons of photos, my fiance and I decided to book Dennis Berti. My wedding isn't until July, but I will post a review and photos after the wedding! So far, I am very happy with the decision - wonderful communication, he is very prompt in replying to emails and answers all questions thoroughly! I follow him on Facebook and enjoy when he posts albums of recent weddings that he shot, it gets me very excited for the big day :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this thread and thought I would comment. My situation is different then most, see I am a professional photographer! Obviously portraits are very important to me. With that being said I also still do have a budget. We decided that we wanted a destination wedding so I actually went looking for photographers first before deciding where we where going to get married. Kinda weird I know! I ran across 3 excellent photographers in cabo. So then started to check out pictures of Cabo, instantly fell in love with the rock formations and the arch. I found this forum next and then started looking at resorts. I loved the architecture at dreams resort and read all the great reviews and decided to book dreams. So then I went back to the 3 photographers I liked and got prices. One was clear put of my budget. Loved there stuff but no way I wanted to spend that. The other 2 were really similar in pricing, but different styles. I ended up going with Juan Carlos Tapia. He has been awesome to work with! I asked him for tons of ideas on different things and he sent me different examples from other weddings that I could see. He has always been awesome in communicating back and forth with me. A lot of things changed in our wedding from beginning till now and has been great. We are having a very small wedding of 9-11 people. So we decided to not do a reception at all, instead after the wedding we will have a small cocktail hour right there in the same spot. We will finish up formal photographs and then do a cutting of the cake and first dance for portrait and video. After that is all done the group of us are going to the formal restaurant in the hotel for sit down meal. Since we had booked juan for 5 hours originally we decided to do a trash the dress and romantic shoot of the 2 of us the next day. I really wanted to do some photographs by the rocks and the arch. Since our wedding is on a Friday, he suggested we wait till Monday to do the extra session to avoid all the extra people on the beaches! He didn't charge us anything extra for doing this second day and he is even picking us up at the hotel and taking us to those different places. He has been awesome to work with and I can't wait for our wedding day to come in 44 days!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the Photographers/Videographers that are included with the Dreams packages?  I would like to stick with everything that is included in our package (to keep wedding costs down), but I don't have any names or photo galleries to get an idea of what we're going to be experiencing.  I would hate to have to use another vendor and let this part of our package go to waste, so I am hoping that someone has had some recent experiences/photos they would be willing to share.

Please help! I am really panicking about having good photos of the big day.

Thanks!!

-Andie

• 2 weeks later...