Sign in to follow this  
kellip17

June 2013 brides- what are you doing?

Originally Posted by MK0386 View Post

@natalieblev I am thinking about making my own bouquets as well. What route are you going? Where did you order flowers from and what kind are you using? Real touch, etc?

I am actually making a brooch bouquet. My mom and some family have given me brooches and I thought it would be something special for me to keep and maybe give to my future daughter down the road. I had originally sent a picture to the resort of an all white plus green succulents bouquet and they quoted me 400$ for just the ONE!!! I knew then I would need to do something else! Im ordering a few more brooches to "fill in" plus have already ordered some more meaningful and actual vintage ones, and it will cost me around 150. And then I will order my smaller bridesmaid bouquets from the resort, which are much cheaper. But I think I will get succulents from Hobby Lobby and make my own boutineers so save money as well. 

What are you planning? 

Originally Posted by amberduke View Post

@natalieblev I used metallic paint type pens and it disguised my half-print/half-cursive quite nicely! Haha

Okay thanks!! I will go over to hobby lobby and see what they have! And then practice! haha. 

I'm just getting flowers there.  $400 is insane for one bouquet!  I was quoted something like $450 for the one I originally wanted, said NO WAY, so modified to this one which I think is going to be about $200.  Still crazy if you ask me but it just doesn't make sense for me to try to spend the time and transport them - I only have one BM, otherwise I might reconsider.

Originally Posted by natalieblev View Post

I am actually making a brooch bouquet. My mom and some family have given me brooches and I thought it would be something special for me to keep and maybe give to my future daughter down the road. I had originally sent a picture to the resort of an all white plus green succulents bouquet and they quoted me 400$ for just the ONE!!! I knew then I would need to do something else! Im ordering a few more brooches to "fill in" plus have already ordered some more meaningful and actual vintage ones, and it will cost me around 150. And then I will order my smaller bridesmaid bouquets from the resort, which are much cheaper. But I think I will get succulents from Hobby Lobby and make my own boutineers so save money as well. 

What are you planning? 

Wow that is such a great idea. I was just reading today about alternatives to flowers. I love your idea. Post a picture when you complete it!

Originally Posted by agm04 View Post

I'm just getting flowers there.  $400 is insane for one bouquet!  I was quoted something like $450 for the one I originally wanted, said NO WAY, so modified to this one which I think is going to be about $200.  Still crazy if you ask me but it just doesn't make sense for me to try to spend the time and transport them - I only have one BM, otherwise I might reconsider.

I know you said you aren't interested in transporting but i've been looking at a LOT of floral websites and that bouquet is rather simple. You could easily make it for under $30 which is a pretty huge savings. 

Yes this is a beautiful bouquet, but you should really look into real touch flowers because especially with that type of flower, they look real and are MUCH cheaper!

Thanks guys!  In addition to not wanting to transport (I have 56 OOT bags and their contents to get to Grand Cayman and a FI who is not thrilled about extra luggage), my mom isn't into the real touch idea...which I don't get AT ALL bc I think they are beautiful.  But it's just not worth the effort and also the argument with her.  But I still admire all the reach touch bouquets on here!  Such a great way to save a chunk.

Thanks guys!  In addition to not wanting to transport (I have 56 OOT bags and their contents to get to Grand Cayman and a FI who is not thrilled about extra luggage), my mom isn't into the real touch idea...which I don't get AT ALL bc I think they are beautiful.  But it's just not worth the effort and also the argument with her.  But I still admire all the reach touch bouquets on here!  Such a great way to save a chunk.

Is she paying for your real flowers? If not I'd tell her until she foots the bill real touch it is! I just can't believe how expensive the resort makes things and we are paying for our own wedding so real flowers are definitely not where we will be splurging. 

I totally understand! Sometimes it is just easier to not deal with it. I really dont want to be bringing a bunch of stuff either, but my mom has all these awesome ideas and I hate turning her down constantly. I have a vision for my centerpieces but my planner has not gotten back to me about those in over three months and im just starting to get annoyed with EVERYTHING. Planning a DW seems harder to me because you cant get answers, you cant ever really do what you want and always have to find another way, and usually another way just means bringing more stuff! Im a little biased i guess as this was FI's idea, not mine. But I know it will be fun, it is just stressful dealing with guests booking, complaining about the costs, and planning pretty much alone. 

And Im glad im not alone in the resort charging out of control for the smallest things!! 

Is she paying for your real flowers? If not I'd tell her until she foots the bill real touch it is! I just can't believe how expensive the resort makes things and we are paying for our own wedding so real flowers are definitely not where we will be splurging. 

She is.  We have this really weird (ok, ridiculous) dynamic going on - I'm from the south and my parents are very traditional about this and think the parents of the bride pay for everything.  Except that I don't want them spending that much money on my wedding.  So I'm picking up whatever I can without them really knowing what I'm spending...even though it's turning out to be like 50% them and 50% me (they would flip if they though FI was contributing, so I can't even let him chip in - how weird is this?) they still have to feel like they're paying for everything.  So she's paying for the flowers.  But all that really means is that I'm paying for more of something else so it's kind of frustrating.  From the get go flowers were something I said I didn't care enough about to spend a lot of money on, but oh well.  I just don't want to hurt their feelings OR spend too much of their money.