Jump to content

Photo

2013 At Home Receptions (AHR's)


  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#71 Peach

Peach
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,293 posts

    Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

    Originally Posted by sillafeliz 

    Hehe. I'm so glad this is a Canadian tradition!! Its a big 'fundraiser' where all of your family and friends get together for a party and play games and drink and win prizes...all profits go towards your wedding! :) We had our three weeks ago and made a cool $3,000 (about average for our area). Every little bit helps!

    Aww, I am from Canada and never heard about this until coming on here.

     

    Maybe it is just eastern Canada?

     

    I sure wish it was a tradition around here too!



    #72 sillafeliz

    sillafeliz
    • Newbie
    • 105 posts

      Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

      Oh, that's too bad! :( Its very common in my area - I would say almost expected. Unless you have a very low key wedding, you are sure to have a buck and doe / jack and jill in amongst all the wedding celebrations! :) I've heard some of these can make a lot of money too if you have the right people and lots of people come - one bride and groom made $10,000!!! :) I'll still stick with my amount - its going to help pay for the photographer and wedding package! :)

       

      Originally Posted by Peach 

      Aww, I am from Canada and never heard about this until coming on here.

       

      Maybe it is just eastern Canada?

       

      I sure wish it was a tradition around here too!



      #73 Lydia1120

      Lydia1120
      • Site Supporter
      • 406 posts
      • Wedding Date:November 20, 2013
      • Wedding Location:Varadero, Cuba
      • LocationCobourg, Ontario

      Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

      Sillafeliz, we are also having a jack and Jill....do you have a list of the games you played?
      17 Years in the Making....and we love each other more now then ever!
      Post Wedding Items for Sale: http://www.bestdesti...various-items/ 

      Wedding Dance Mash Up Video -  https://www.youtube....h?v=80jO9-B_BVI


      #74 LKocelko

      LKocelko
      • Jr. Member
      • 350 posts

        Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

        Originally Posted by Lydia1120 

        Sillafeliz, we are also having a jack and Jill....do you have a list of the games you played?

        Are there games specific to a Jack and Jill? If not, we did the "Left Right" game and my shower and it was really fun. The shoe game is also a good one. 



        #75 sillafeliz

        sillafeliz
        • Newbie
        • 105 posts

          Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

          Oh gosh,
          Welll....we did a tropical themed party....so we had:

           

          50/50

          raffle prizes - that I must say, were AMAZING

          Grand prize - blackberry tablet

          Jail - rented, and people could throw other people in jail. (I spent a lot of time in there!)

          mini putt

          toonie toss

          pie in the face

          Great Canadian Whack Off - a.k.a. - hammer and nail - This was  HUGE hit - got people off their lazy butts! LOL :)

           vase with the shotglass - sink the loonie in the shot glass, win a drink on us.

          We also had a 4'x6' cutout of a beach scene that people took their pictures in - it was awesome!

           

          If you have a need for anything, all my stuff from it is up for sale! :)

           

           

          Originally Posted by Lydia1120 

          Sillafeliz, we are also having a jack and Jill....do you have a list of the games you played?


          #76 sillafeliz

          sillafeliz
          • Newbie
          • 105 posts

            Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

            These games are money makers - which is the point of the jack and jill....to raise money for the bride and groom. :)

            Originally Posted by LKocelko 

            Are there games specific to a Jack and Jill? If not, we did the "Left Right" game and my shower and it was really fun. The shoe game is also a good one. 



            #77 sillafeliz

            sillafeliz
            • Newbie
            • 105 posts

              Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

              Oh darn,

              we also did fish insurance - but instead of having someone eat a live fish, we had them lick a dead one from the grocery store. I didn't want a fish being swallowed!!

              And, we did a lucky card - $ 2 per card, win $20.

               

              Originally Posted by Lydia1120 

              Sillafeliz, we are also having a jack and Jill....do you have a list of the games you played?


              #78 Mady28

              Mady28
              • Jr. Member
              • 164 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 28, 2013
              • Wedding Location:Huracan Cafe
              • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican Republic

              Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

              I like the card idea. I'm trying to come up with games that will make money for us. 



              #79 EVKnowsitall

              EVKnowsitall
              • Member
              • 593 posts

                Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

                Originally Posted by Mady28 

                I like the card idea. I'm trying to come up with games that will make money for us. 

                 

                Play a game of poker! We aren't having a Jack and Jill although man do they sound fun!!!!! But at our housewarming a few years ago, we had a casino themed party. We bought all the stuff from Party City- the felt tablecloth that is actually a poker table, chips, and cards, people bet actual money and I served them drinks and my friend played the "house" or dealer. He won us $300 and that was at a small house party with 20 guests! So maybe at a bigger party you can win some moolah!


                Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

                #80 Lydia1120

                Lydia1120
                • Site Supporter
                • 406 posts
                • Wedding Date:November 20, 2013
                • Wedding Location:Varadero, Cuba
                • LocationCobourg, Ontario

                Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

                Originally Posted by sillafeliz 

                Oh gosh,
                Welll....we did a tropical themed party....so we had:

                 

                50/50

                raffle prizes - that I must say, were AMAZING

                Grand prize - blackberry tablet

                Jail - rented, and people could throw other people in jail. (I spent a lot of time in there!)

                mini putt

                toonie toss

                pie in the face

                Great Canadian Whack Off - a.k.a. - hammer and nail - This was  HUGE hit - got people off their lazy butts! LOL :)

                 vase with the shotglass - sink the loonie in the shot glass, win a drink on us.

                We also had a 4'x6' cutout of a beach scene that people took their pictures in - it was awesome!

                 

                If you have a need for anything, all my stuff from it is up for sale! :)

                 

                 

                Are the items you have for sale here on BDW? 


                17 Years in the Making....and we love each other more now then ever!
                Post Wedding Items for Sale: http://www.bestdesti...various-items/ 

                Wedding Dance Mash Up Video -  https://www.youtube....h?v=80jO9-B_BVI





                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users