Paying for our own.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 casontag

• 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

I have wanted to get married for years, but our family has always come first. We have two little ones :)! Anyone else out there paying for their own? We have descided to take a vacation and elope with an invitation. We can't afford to pay for a large traditional wedding and our families will still be mad if we elope. So we have described to get married in key west May 19, 2013 and give our families a heads up if they want to go, but everyone will have to pay for themselves including dinner. I wish we could afford to pay at least for dinner, but that just is not possible considering we will have to pay for everything ourselves. Most of our family is on board, but some still can't afford to go. It's been so hard convincing my family that this is what I want to do! They would prefer I go to the JP and then leave for out hunneymoon. Anyone else going this route?

#2 raymond

• 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

You can also choose a affordable wedding venue which suits to your budget that not cost so much and that makes your wedding in budget .

#3 Xarocas

• 157 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

We are paying for our own, and will be saving hard for the next year to do so.... we are obviously cutting a lot of things, because we can' afford a massive wedding but at the same time we are adding a lot of small personal things to make it special! Your limit is your imagination! :)

#4 bridemoonpalace

• 151 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

A are paying for our own. We have been saving for this last year and are track for what we need.

#5 traylynn

• 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

We are paying our own way as well.  Since we have a year and some months to plan. I have decided to focus on the things that are most important to me. So every month I put enough away and focus on that one thing.  Even if it is saving up for a photographer.  I have had 2 garage sales, began clipping coupons again. 

The money I save from coupons I transfer over to a saving account before I leave the grocery store.  

Every penny adds up 

#6 REP

• 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

#7 talicea7812

• 416 posts
              • Wedding Date:April 12, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Azul Beach Hotel
              • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

we are paying for our own and it has been hard.

I work 3 jobs and my FI works 6days a week.  we decided to do destination bc it was more affordable and also counts as our honeymoon.  Our registry is also a honeymoon registry that will go directly to helping us afford our stay.

When booking, I didn't care what the families thought.  If they don't want to help pay for stuff then they don't get a say. 

#8 mysticjade

• 80 posts
              • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
              • Wedding Location:Royalton White Sands, Montego Bay, Jamaica
              • LocationToronto

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

We’re paying for our own too even though my parents want to help out, but if they help out I’m afraid that the money would come between us/be used as a bargaining tool. Also, I’m of the mentality that if you and your FI can’t pay for your wedding, maybe you’re not ready to get married! Financial independence is very important to me. My parents would be happier if we were having a huge local wedding and not a small destination wedding, but they understand that in the end it’s our decision.

#9 amy330

• 152 posts
              • Wedding Date:June 21, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Dream Riviera Cancun
              • LocationPuerto Morale, Mexico

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

That's part of the reason we chose a DW...we've got a little one, too!.  We are combining the wedding and honeymoon at the same resort, and found a promotion that saves us a ton of money in lodging. 

#10 Csonnel

• 174 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 24, 2015
              • Wedding Location:Dreams Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
              • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

We're paying for our own as well. That's why we chose DW-cheaper than an AHR and we get to have our honeymoon at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users