Striving for 150!!!

Cherina

Originally Posted by missde09 View Post

I have never been to the Dominican, but I have heard that it is beautiful and the people are very friendly. I do think the prices are going up because it is becoming more of a vacation hot spot. I got a really good deal with Majestic Colonial for August next year. The flights really are the hardest part. Most of my family only has one airport option as well. If we want to fly out of anywhere but Philly, it becomes at least $100 more. My FI's sister may be moving to Japan next year due to her husband being in the military. Those ticket prices are between one and two thousand. But that is on the opposite side of the world. I can't believe Canada is equally as expensive.

Tell me about it, I have been to the Dominican, Cuba, Mexico at least 4 times but have never been to the East Coast of my own country because of how expensive it is to travel... there are really only a few options, lets put it this way Edmonton to Calgary is a 3 hour drive give or take but to fly is usually over $400 with taxes it is literally insane, there just isnt the competition here so really they get away with charging whatever they want! Donèt even get me started on what kind of money we pay for a cell phone bill! LOL but it isnt all bad... there are some great reasons to live here!

I'm sure there are many good reasons to live there, but it is tough to have such crazy prices. I just keep telling myself that the ones that really want to be there will be there. If members of my family can make it happen with tight budgets, I am positive that other people can as well. Some people don't like to/want to travel which I understand. But in my mind don't tell me it costs too much and that it why you aren't going...it's my wedding for crying out loud. My FI's dad asked him one night why he has to go all the way to Punta Cana for our wedding, and my FI replied, "because that is where we are getting married." End of conversation. People can make this much more stressful than it needs to be sometimes...

LOL You know what my problem is- I stick to just the threads I'm involved in- like Show Us Your Dress and my Resort- but my resort thread doesn't post much activity so I've started to venture into other territories and I am finding awesome ideas. Like the guestbook option- I love the fingerprint idea. We have a few peacock touched to our wedding so I think I will get a peacock and have my guests use their fingerprints to make the peacocks feathers. 

I haven't sent my invites I'm really slacking on that. I sent my Save the Dates 11 months before my wedding. I want to order these handmade invites from a girl named Ana DeRoux- but they doin't come cheap. But they are gorgeous and personalized. They take 4-6 weeks to produce so guests won't have them until Thanksgiving, giving them 7 months. But when we sent the Save The Dates- we sent our travel agents business card and a few people booked.

Most people are waiting until after tax season to pay for their tickets thought. 

Thanks for the congrats! Lol we actually will make a year engaged in November. We wanted to have a year engagement but didn't want to wed in the fall/winter because I am still working (teacher- way too busy) so we waited until summertime and will be engaged for 1 year and some months before we get married. Little longer than usual but who's counting (me) 

How far along are you in your planning?

I'm not sure of I will ever make the 150 mark. I'm pretty quiet. Lol. I have experienced all of these same issues, so it must just go hand in hand with destination weddings. I threw in the towel 10 months ago and we almost eloped, but my mother would literally die. It's overwhelming with everyone else's expectations. We have finally paid deposits and told our close friends and family, 20 or so people, that we are planning a vacation in key west in may and are getting married on the beach May 19th. So I'm not sure what you would call that, but I consider it eloping with an invitation. Surprisingly most are coming or supportive this time around. We will have to wait and see. So I pretty much vetoed the whole bridesmaid/ groomsmen idea. It will just be us and our, wow they will be 3 and 4 year old son and daughter. We are so excited and know in the end the ones that want to come will find a way and those that cannot will not hold it against us forever. I'm not doing all the formalities in a traditional sense, but looking at thing and how they are playing out seems like this was our way and we have to overcome some obstacles to find our path, but this was it all along! So that's my story. Congrats to all of you other may brides! I can't tell you how excited I am! I ordered my Maggie sottero Alexa gown already and it will be here in December! I am also making beaded toe jewelry for myself and all the women to wear at the ceremony. I have made 10 pair so far and they are super cute! Love everyone's DIY's here. So many creative people! I do try myself :)

I have been around here forever just reading and make a few post here and there. I have changed locations and everything, but have finally paid deposits! My fi and I have been together 15 years and have 2 little ones. We are eloping kind of. Lol! We are getting married in key west may 19, 2013 without any bridesmaids or anything. Just us and our kids on the beach with a simple ceremony to finalize our family. We have described to tell our family they may come if they wish to pay their own way. I'm just ready to elope and have a vacation. Our mothers, brother, and sisters would never forgive us if we went that route. I'm excited things are finally coming together for us! I'm still trying to figure out when to buy plane tickets too, or if we need a TA. I plan on about 20-25 people.
. Congrats ! Do thinks how you've dreamed of. I think a ceremony with the two of you and your little ones is amazing!

Originally Posted by casontag View Post

I'm not sure of I will ever make the 150 mark. I'm pretty quiet. Lol. I have experienced all of these same issues, so it must just go hand in hand with destination weddings. I threw in the towel 10 months ago and we almost eloped, but my mother would literally die. It's overwhelming with everyone else's expectations. We have finally paid deposits and told our close friends and family, 20 or so people, that we are planning a vacation in key west in may and are getting married on the beach May 19th. So I'm not sure what you would call that, but I consider it eloping with an invitation. Surprisingly most are coming or supportive this time around. We will have to wait and see.

So I pretty much vetoed the whole bridesmaid/ groomsmen idea. It will just be us and our, wow they will be 3 and 4 year old son and daughter. We are so excited and know in the end the ones that want to come will find a way and those that cannot will not hold it against us forever.

I'm not doing all the formalities in a traditional sense, but looking at thing and how they are playing out seems like this was our way and we have to overcome some obstacles to find our path, but this was it all along!

So that's my story. Congrats to all of you other may brides! I can't tell you how excited I am! I ordered my Maggie sottero Alexa gown already and it will be here in December! I am also making beaded toe jewelry for myself and all the women to wear at the ceremony. I have made 10 pair so far and they are super cute!

Love everyone's DIY's here. So many creative people! I do try myself :)

I feel like eloping every day. Especially since my dress is already done and thats what I was waiting for. But it would kill my mother. Honestly I just want to get married and make babies and buy a house. I spent all my life dreaming of this perfect wedding and discovered its a bitch to plan. I just got into a fight with my sisters- they are twins, both supposed to be bridesmaids and both of them are not coming. They told me its too much money. My sisters. the same people who encouraged me to have a destination wedding in the first place because a wedding in the states was typical, not my style, and boring. I planned it for Mexico- my sister complained. She already was planning a visit to DR. I switched partly because of her. Now she isn't coming.

I cried to my fiance that we should have just eloped. I hope things work out but I'm not feeling optimistic at all. I would have better look throwing my invitation on Craigslist than sending it to my family. 

I feel like eloping every day. Especially since my dress is already done and thats what I was waiting for. But it would kill my mother. Honestly I just want to get married and make babies and buy a house. I spent all my life dreaming of this perfect wedding and discovered its a bitch to plan. I just got into a fight with my sisters- they are twins, both supposed to be bridesmaids and both of them are not coming. They told me its too much money. My sisters. the same people who encouraged me to have a destination wedding in the first place because a wedding in the states was typical, not my style, and boring. I planned it for Mexico- my sister complained. She already was planning a visit to DR. I switched partly because of her. Now she isn't coming. I cried to my fiance that we should have just eloped. I hope things work out but I'm not feeling optimistic at all. I would have better look throwing my invitation on Craigslist than sending it to my family. 
That is sad to hear. Sorry things are going the same for you. It's definitely a tough decision, but I believe none of us will regret going threw with their wedding despite people not coming. Does anyone here know anyone that regrets their DW?