Photo

DIY Cake Toppers

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Haha, too funny, I did the same thing except I order 1 in the Brock script and 1 in the English Vivace and 1 Edwardian.  I figured they were cheap enough, so why not.  Let me know what you come up with as fars as crystals.  I was going to wait for the letters to come in and then take them to Michaels to see what size(s) I need, but will probably order off of ebay to save some $$$.

#22 AllieH

AllieH
    • Resort/Area Ambassadors
    • 2,014 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
    • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
    • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

no, you're a bride!! we have so freakin many decisions to make, that after a while it all runs together. I swear!

hit Michael's or Joann's or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon for the rhinestones.

here's a site with a good graphic for cake size based on the # of guests:

Okay, so I am officially the most indecisive person ever... but I finally made a purchase, I got the following. :o)

Text:: R
    Font:: Monterey BT
    Thickness:: 1/8 inch
    Height:: 5 "
    Letter Count:: 1 @ $2.35 each
    Paper Template:: No
    Approximate Width:: 5.8"

and

Text:: R
    Font:: English Vivace Script CT
    Thickness:: 1/4 inch
    Height:: 5 "
    Letter Count:: 1 @ $3.45 each
    Paper Template:: No
    Approximate Width:: 5.3"

Now that I've also been looking at rhinestones all day.. I'm wondering what size to buy.. What kind to buy, etc.. I need rhinestones for several projects but for the cake topper I want them to be extra blingy without the cost of swarovski.. suggestions?

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#23 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
    • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 

Haha, too funny, I did the same thing except I order 1 in the Brock script and 1 in the English Vivace and 1 Edwardian.  I figured they were cheap enough, so why not.  Let me know what you come up with as fars as crystals.  I was going to wait for the letters to come in and then take them to Michaels to see what size(s) I need, but will probably order off of ebay to save some $$$.

tehehe.. too funny. I love the more scrolly ones, but A made me promise I wouldn't get one too girly.. So I tried to find a happy medium. :-/

Great idea about taking the letters to Michaels to determine the sizes. I'll do the same. :o) then look on ebay and do research on the best ones and let you know.

#24 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
      • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by AllieH 

here's a site with a good graphic for cake size based on the # of guests:

http://www.dailywedd...-will-you-need/

Thanks for posting Ms Allie! my wedding coordinator provided the same tier size diameters for my wedding group of +/- 30, but sometimes I wonder if she's just making stuff up.

#25 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
        • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Allie for the link. :o)

I'll check out the craft stores with coupons and ebay to see who has the better quality for the better prices. I'm soo excited to start another DIY, but of course I'm having to wait for things to arrive before I can start any of them. :o(

#26 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
          • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

It sucks that we all don't live closer together, we could have DIY parties... cake topper party, petal runner party...

#27 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
            • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

It sucks that we all don't live closer together, we could have DIY parties... cake topper party, petal runner party...

Now that would be an awesome idea! :o) Too bad.. :o(

#28 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
              • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Okay, so of course I am impatient.. And I couldn't pass up a good deal, so I bought the following.

Seller:shop4femme-us

Loose Rhinestones lot of Hot Fix Iron on 3mm (SS10), 15 Colors to choose from
                Qty:1
                $5.10
                Clear #00, 2880pcs (20 Gross)

Loose Rhinestones lot of Hot Fix Iron on 4mm (SS16), 15 Colors to choose from
                $5.90
                Clear #00, 2160pcs (15 Gross)

Selection of 2mm Round Shape Flat Back Rhinestones in Multiple Colors and Lots
                $2.45
                Clear #06, 3000 pcs

Selection of 2mm Round Shape Flat Back Rhinestones in Multiple Colors and Lots
                $2.45
                Light Blue #10, 3000 pcs

Ignore the blue.. I bought those to write I Do on the bottom of my shoes.. But I bought iron-on and flatback to see which would look best. I figured I could use the iron on for my tanks if it don't work out for the topper. 2mm will be super tiny, so I'm afraid it will be a bit tidious.. But from what I've read these are the most common used.. 12ss(3.5mm I believe), 16ss(4mm), 20ss(5mm).. But I also saw a gorgeous one done in only 10ss(3mm)

#29 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
                • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

OMG... I knew you couldn't resist, but I was giving you 48 bhours before you cracked. Thanks for sharing the info missy! It's actually been a big question of mine as to whether or not the iron on crystals will work or if I need to find a super stregth addhesive. You'll probably figure this out before I even get around to ordering my crystal. So be sure to let me know...pretty please.

#30 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
                  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

OMG... I knew you couldn't resist, but I was giving you 48 bhours before you cracked. Thanks for sharing the info missy! It's actually been a big question of mine as to whether or not the iron on crystals will work or if I need to find a super stregth addhesive. You'll probably figure this out before I even get around to ordering my crystal. So be sure to let me know...pretty please.

lol..You know me too well.. To be honest, I have bought crystals in the past.. I don't know why, lol.. But I'm pretty sure they are the iron on type and I never knew it. So I don't think there is a big difference but the flat backs seem to be less expensive. Once I receive my order I will examine them to see which looks best and try to take pictures for you. :o)   As far as the cake topper, I plan to paint it with silver acrylic paint I got from Hobbly Lobby and then attach the rhinestones with E6000 glue. :o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users