La Barcaza - Opinion

I've been emailing, too.  I did reach Daniel using weddingsboatpuntacana@hotmail.com.  I had asked about adding a DJ and what decorations, if any, were provided at no cost.  He emailed back and was very pleasant in his email.  He asked if I could send him the invoice that Flori had sent to me, so I did.  He then emailed me back and asked for proof that I paid the deposit, so I sent him the confirmations I received from Wester Union when I wired the money.  Since then, I haven't heard back and it's been over a week.  I'm ok with waiting a few days for a response- I get that it's the Caribbean and things move slower there, but waiting a week and a half for a response is beginning to make me nervous.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I found out, much like most of you did, that there was a change in ownership only over the last few days. When I contacted Daniel to confirm that the arrangments that were made with Flori would be honoured , I was sent their "policies document" (of which I had never known existed... he explained they were recently set up with the new ownership). With that said I freaked out and decided it was worth my $ to just call Daniel and so I did! He did answer his cell phone and does speak English well. He is not dificult to work with but unless I results, everything is just words to me. I will keep you posted as to whether he follows through with what he has said he would.

I definitely asked about his experience and he told me that he has been doing this for years and he kept referring to the La Barcaza as a restaurant. *shrugging my shoulders*.

I did make an inquiry about a DJ and was quoted $700 for 3 hours and if you want the additional hour it is an additional $250.

I also found out about the additional costs that the new owners have implemented.

See attachment.

La Barcaza Policies for clients.docx 130k .docx file

Hope this helps some of you out there. I am to be married this summer and have already paid my deposit. Now I will have to go through re-calculating my finances just in case we have to make an emergency switch.

Wondering if there are any brides out there who have used La Barcaza recently and can speak to what's happening and how their experience has been?????

Sincerely,

R

La Barcaza Policies for clients.docx

Originally Posted by Mufin1785 View Post

Did they still have the iPod docking station for your playlist?? I saw that now they have plastic chairs. So I was wondering if anything else has changed

Yes they no longer use glass cups and have decided to offer the use of plastic cups instead (not that that should have a huge impact on anything). They have also set up new policies. See atached. I received this January 14th 2013 after having made completely different arrangements with Flori that under these new policies, they will not honor :( Very upset to say the least.

Hi ladies! 

We live & document weddings on the island and are so upset with the new changes that have come with the change in ownership. Our last wedding there was in November and I was completely appalled at their behaviour and how they treat clients. Daniel seems like a good guy, but his father was the 'host' on the boat and was so rude to us, some guests, and the wedding couple. He knows nothing about customer service and his English is poor. The main entertainer there is great, Jorge - he did his best to smooth everything out, but the experience still left a bad taste in our mouth. Here are a few things in particular, so that you can watch out for your own wedding: 

- the couple was told transportation would take 30 minutes from Dreams Punta Cana, it took an hour instead. by the time we got to the boat, it was almost dark, which was very unfortunate, because the guests couldn't enjoy the beautiful views and sunset. 

- swimming before dinner was in the dark - and should have been around sunset. 

- very poor decor, if any, so bring your own / hire a decorator (personally, I was mortified by the plastic chairs, but you can request the wooden ones)

- old worn out hard-plastic glasses for the drinks - I really hope they invest in something a little more appropriate for a wedding, but I doubt that will be any time soon. 

- skimping out on seafood dinner - it pales in comparison to the dinner served under Flori's management... it's obvious they are trying to cut down on costs. 

- Daniel's father was extremely confrontational with us when we asked about the possibility of changing our order AND with the wedding couple when the evening went into overtime. 

They were lucky our couple was SO sweet and easy-going! 

I would recommend Jellyfish over La Barcaza any day. It is, however, a great option for a thank-you rehearsal dinner for your guests! 

I really hope they step it up a notch in the near future, because the experience CAN be absolutely amazing. 

xx

P.S. Here are pictures from a couple of our favourite weddings there:

http://www.katyanovablog.com/la-barcaza-punta-cana-wedding-boat-sh/

http://www.katyanovablog.com/la-barcaza-wedding-boat-punta-cana-ka/

Hi ladies!! 

We live & document weddings here on the island and are so disappointed with the recent changes that have come with the new ownership. Daniel seems like a nice guy, but he has very limited knowledge of the wedding industry or an understanding of what brides' wants & needs are. Here are a few things to watch out for and a few insights, from my perspective of both a photographer AND a recent bride: 

- miscommunication regarding travel time: our couple was told that it would take 30 minutes to get from Dreams Punta Cana to the pick-up location … in reality, it took over an hour. As a result, by the time we got on the boat, it was getting dark fast. There was very little time for pictures and the guests had to swim in the dark. 

- the main entertainer there, Jorge, is an absolute gem and gets the party started. Make sure he's there for your wedding!

- cups for beverages are beaten up old hard plastic - they should really invest into something more appropriate for a wedding, it's the little things that make a big difference

- the decor is very poor, if there at all. Bring your own decorations or better yet, hire a decorator. 

- personally, I was mortified by the plastic furniture. Ask for the wooden tables & chair, they are much more classy. 

- food: the seafood dinner pales in comparison to the one served under Flori's management. The portions are smaller and quality is worse, it's obvious they are trying to cut corners to cut down on costs. 

- most disturbing: the 'host' overseeing everything on the boat was Daniel's father, a man who speaks very little English and is extremely confrontational and rude. He knows nothing about customer service and shouldn't be dealing with clients. At all. Aside from being a terrible bartender, he embarrassed us in front of guests when we inquired about potentially changing our order; was confrontational and dismissive with our awesome couple when it came to a question of overtime (because the whole reception was shifted because of their mistake in the first place). 

Our couple was SO amazing, generous & laid-back - we all made the most of it! But … I would recommend Jellyfish over La Barcaza any day. It is, however, a good idea for a thank-you dinner for your guests before your wedding day. I really hope they get it together and improve - because there is such tremendous potential there…

Hugs from Punta Cana, 

Katya. 

P.S. Here are a couple of our favourite weddings there: 

http://www.katyanovablog.com/la-barcaza-punta-cana-wedding-boat-sh/

http://www.katyanovablog.com/la-barcaza-wedding-boat-punta-cana-ka/

Originally Posted by AR-DreamWedding View Post

Yes they no longer use glass cups and have decided to offer the use of plastic cups instead (not that that should have a huge impact on anything). They have also set up new policies. See atached. I received this January 14th 2013 after having made completely different arrangements with Flori that under these new policies, they will not honor :( Very upset to say the least.

So wow!  I asked Flori about bringing my cake aboard from the resort and she said that would not be a problem and Sparkling wine for a toast from the resort she said that would not be a problem..... I have been in contact with Caribbean Celebration to get chairs and centerpieces since no one on the La Barcaza Email will respond to me.... my wedding is in 24 Days!!!! I am calling Daniel tonight!! I don't even know what my package includes now..... and What I will be getting charged this is not the type of service I signed up for!!!

Originally Posted by AR-DreamWedding View Post

Any chance you can post the text from the document?  I can't open it either.  I'm less concerned about plastic chairs and cups, and more concerned that I'm going to get what I ask for/what I'm paying for.  I want to make sure they are still going to honor my pricing, since I booked over 9 months ago, that the photographer is still included (and that it's the same photographer!), and that we can have a DJ, so I'm definitely interested in reading this new "policies" document, since it obviously didn't exist when most of us booked!