Photo

Can I take a Photographer from Canada to Cuba with me for my destination wedding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah021414

Sarah021414
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can bring a photographer from Canada with me to Cuba for my wedding?

I have a good friend who is doing our engagement photos and would really love to have her come along to Cuba but I'm worried they won't allow her to shoot with a tourist visa and that she will need to be a business because it's a service.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

#2 DwBride2Be

DwBride2Be
    • 190 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hey Sarah,

you can bring a photographer, but they do only need a tourist visa.  They are not being paid by cubans in cuba..They come and act as a guest of your wedding, and do not mention "working" at all, and it will be fine.

They also can't bring TON's of equipment, just a camera, lenses, etc..not excessive.

As long as they understand not to act like they are going on a "business trip" they will not have any trouble.

#3 jolene028

jolene028
      • 588 posts
      • Wedding Date:November 13, 2013
      • Wedding Location:Varadero, Cuba

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

My uncle is going to come as a guest and then be a photographer once we are there. I don't think that it will be a problem he is my uncle and a guest I think that just becasue thats what he does here doesnt mean that it isnt just like having a family member take pictures professional or not! I think that you will be fine!

#4 K J Photography

K J Photography
      • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I am a canadian photographer who travels frequently to Cuba to shoot weddings.

Yes, you are able to bring them (and it's done all the time), however it technically is illegal. I have found that so long as you have first cleared it with the resort then there never is any issues. The majority of resorts will be totally fine with it. For added measure I also temporarily remove my blog and website from the internet, as well as my social media pages - this way JUST in case something goes wrong it will be hard to prove I am doing it as a service. In the event of an issue I would claim to be a "friend of the couple" who is doing the photos as a favour (the couple has to be in on this plan as well, and we usually have a back up story of "how we know each other" just in case).

I know it all sounds sketchy, but like I said I do it all the time (and know many, many others who do it as well) and never once have I heard of there being an issue. It's worth the risk in my opinion (i'm trying not to be bias) because after all, this is your wedding, and your photos are what you are going to remember it with. For that reason i strongly believe having a photographer who's work you love and trust is important. 

Bets of luck and have a great wedding!

Kris

Kristopher James Photography
        www.kristopherjamesphotography.blogspot.ca
        1-250-893-4221

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users