So our Wedding date isn't until October 15th 2013, we have a large family. My wedding party has 12 people and that doesnt include parents and aunts/uncles. I figure we can easily fill up 30 rooms. So I requested a block of 30 rooms. My TA (friend of the family) said that shouldn't be an issue but my TA is getting a lot of pressure from the Travel Operator. The Travel Operator wants us to reserve all 30 rooms with deposit in a week. Below is a time table of whats been happening. Is this normal?
- Friday Sept. 21st: TA and us chose which Travel Operator to move forward with based on perks and group rate.
- Monday Sept. 24th: The TA sends me the rough draft of the wedding flyer that will go out with the STDs. She said she is go over the contract from the Travel Operator and appealing a few lines.
- Tuesday Sept 25th: I pick up the flyers.
- Wednesday Sept 26th: Mail out first batch of STD with flyers.
- Friday Sept 28th: Send out 2nd batch of STDs.
- Monday Oct 1st: TA calls me telling me that the Travel Operator wants 10 rooms booked with Deposit ($100/room) by Friday October 5th. Stress! I tell here it shouldn't be an issue because I have a large wedding party.
- Wednesday October 3rd: TA calls me saying that the Travel Operator is demanding all 30 rooms with deposit by Friday October 5th. She said she is appealing it. I also send out last batch of STDs.
- Friday October 5th: She said we got 11rooms booked and not to worry about the 30 rooms. She's hoping that they'll see we are acquiring rooms at a steady rate and they'll neglect to mention the "30 rooms in a week" thing. I told her that in the meantime, I've told non-wedding party guests to book by October 31st because I thought that was acceptable. She thinks that's fine. She said typically resorts do not start hounding you for room reservation until a few months before the wedding. We're over a year away, so she doesn't understand the Travel Operator at all. Also, we still have not signed any contract.
What do you all think? My mom doesn't like that there is no official signed contract in use at the moment. There is also no reference in the current draft saying how long the "Group rate" applies or how soon we have to book all 30 rooms. I don't want to place blame on the TA, she is a friend of the family and I really think she is trying her best. It just sucks that we already mailed out the flyers and have people booking when there is no signed contract.
It just all seems so sketchy but maybe this is normal?