Photo

8mm wedding videos

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mickie1987

Mickie1987
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

Does anyone know of a videographer in Cancun who does 8mm wedding videos? I have my heart set on having a video done in that fashion.

#2 nano.dogs

nano.dogs
    • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

This thread totally caught my eye, b/c I was also interested in having a wedding taped with an 8mm. This is a little embarrasing, but how I found out about 8mm taping was that i watched a celebrity show that featured Tori Spelling and Dean McDermot's wedding. I guess they rented one and taped their wedding themselves, and their video looked really cute.

I also have a friend who was a film major in college who has an 8mm camera. She taped her brother's wedding, and she said it turned out great. From what I gather, the key to having a great video is to make sure it's edited professionally. She said it cost around $150 to have her brother's video edited properly. So if you are DIY person, you may want to consider renting one and having it edited later on. Hope this helps...

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:52 AM

Sandos Caracol Beach Hotel wedding packages - Our Sandos Caracol Beach Hotel wedding coordinators can plan your beach wedding at Sandos Caracol Beach

You can email this hotel & see who they use. It says they film in 8mm.

What is the advantage to 8mm?

#4 nano.dogs

nano.dogs
        • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=What is the advantage to 8mm?[/QUOTE]

From what I gather about 8mm video (and I'm no expert!), your video is recorded on actual film (i.e., not digital). What is appealing about it is the resulting picture, which can be absolutely beautiful. The best example is I can think of is the opening credits of the old TV show the "Wonder Years" with Fred Savage. You know how the film is a little grainy and old school-looking? If you filmed your wedding in 8mm that's what it would look like. I've done a little research on it, and it's becoming popular among celebrities. I read that Christina Aguilera had a 8mm video of her marriage, too.

#5 lambert13

lambert13
          • 901 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

Even if a videographer does not use the actual 8mm film, a good one would be able to replicate the effect in the video editing. Just an idea.

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by lambert13
              Even if a videographer does not use the actual 8mm film, a good one would be able to replicate the effect in the video editing. Just an idea.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm sure this could be edited onto digital footage. There are some videographers on the forum. Maybe they will chime in. The advantage to filming in digital & then editing it to look 8mm would be that you'd have both styles. You could merge the two effects for a really cool video.

#7 PaulSchrank

PaulSchrank
              • Vendor
              • 237 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

Susan & Aaron Intro on Vimeo

Here is a clip that I shot digitally and applied effects to create an 8mm look. I have an old 8mm film camera but getting and processing the film can be a challenge. The digital effect is quite nice. I use the Magic Bullet Look Suite for this effect. It's a third party plug in for Final Cut Pro. It does an excellent job, much better than similar built-in filters.

This clip was a brief intro to the 20 minute version, shot in HD digital widescreen.

I have my parent's wedding on VHS tape that was originally shot on 8mm film. We watched it at Christmas time with three generations together. It was amazing to see it, my parents had so much fun identifying all the people that were there on film. It was great to see my grandparents so young and full of life.

#8 Christine

Christine
                • VIP Member
                • 21,514 posts
                • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                • LocationReno, NV

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

even windows movie maker can do that effect. If we would have had video at our wedding we would have just added that after wards.
                Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by scharke
                  Susan & Aaron Intro on Vimeo

Here is a clip that I shot digitally and applied effects to create an 8mm look. I have an old 8mm film camera but getting and processing the film can be a challenge. The digital effect is quite nice. I use the Magic Bullet Look Suite for this effect. It's a third party plug in for Final Cut Pro. It does an excellent job, much better than similar built-in filters.

This clip was a brief intro to the 20 minute version, shot in HD digital widescreen.

I have my parent's wedding on VHS tape that was originally shot on 8mm film. We watched it at Christmas time with three generations together. It was amazing to see it, my parents had so much fun identifying all the people that were there on film. It was great to see my grandparents so young and full of life.
                  That's cool. You even added in the sounds.

I'm craving some wonder years. I need to see if it's on DVD yet. There was a hold up due to music licensing.

#10 nylalany

nylalany
                  • 625 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:31 PM

My videographer from Los Angeles offers the option but she was already so pricey to shoot in HD that I decided to cut out the 8mm option - not sure if that is a mistake, but I do agree that you can add the effect afterwards...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users