What is so bad about cake & punch?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iddress

iddress
  • Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Please pardon the down-in-the-dumps attitude below... :)

I'm trying to budget for our wedding (way ahead of time). We want to get married July 2014. We are just starting out (he'll be 24, I'll be 23), and we are getting no financial help from our parents. I'm finishing off my BA and heading into a master's program. He's just finishing off his education and starting to work.

I hate feeling inhospitable, but I'm starting to entertain the idea of a cake and punch reception. We've cut our guest list a lot (we both have large families) and are trying for 50 guests.

In my family, just a cocktail reception would be severly looked down upon, as would not having a cash bar. I feel like there's so much pressure to entertain people and go all out! I feel like we're in an all-or-nothing situation.

All we want to do is get married. We've been together for 6 years already and don't want to wait any longer than the two years until 2014. It's important for us to just be married, rather than postponing to save up for an extravagant affair. I can't seem to get over horribly disappointing my family though...

Anyone else balancing family expectation issues and a low budget?

#2 imjalar

imjalar
    • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

We made a little poem,  the ending was please join us for a sweet treat after the ceremony. Everyone thought it was great that we warned/told them it was not a dinner. But sweets, cake pie whatever. 

#3 imjalar

imjalar
      • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

We made a little poem,  the ending was please join us for a sweet treat after the ceremony. Everyone thought it was great that we warned/told them it was not a dinner. But sweets, cake pie whatever. 

#4 JayKay

JayKay
        • 3,472 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
        • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
        • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

I think you guys need to do what is best for yourself, especially if you are paying for your wedding yourselves.  I had a lot of pressure from my family (mostly grandparents) to have a Catholic wedding in Canada.  My husband and I were very clear that we did not want that at all and our family seemed to accept the idea.

I have been to some weddings recently where the reception does not include a supper but rather a private family supper, maybe you could do something similar.  I don't see any reason why you could not do a cake and punch reception.

Do what is best for you and your future husband and try to compromise somewhat with your family if needed.  Maybe suggest they pitch in to help with costs if they are adament about having a large extravagent reception.

#5 iddress

iddress
        • Banned
        • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

thanks  for your advice very much.

Now I have known that nothing is more important than the happiness we can get.

So no matter how others look us,we don't care.

We just seek our love for ourselves,which may be my family want to see most.

#6 iddress

iddress
          • Banned
          • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

thanks  for your advice very much.

Now I have known that nothing is more important than the happiness we can get.

So no matter how others look us,we don't care.

We just seek our love for ourselves,which may be my family want to see most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users