Palladium Wedding Bands

Does anyone know anything about Palladium Wedding Bands?

I called a jeweler to check on making Tom's Celtic Band in Platinum, but when she checked with the designer in Ireland, the sale pice was still well over $2000 (closer to 3k).

She said it's too much to pay for that ring, and that's exactly what I was thinking.

She suggested Palladium, and is checking to see if the Irish jeweler works with that metal. She says its similar to Platinum, and has some Platinum in it, so it looks and holds up the same, but without the steep price tag (she says it's more than white gold but substantially less than Platinum).

Anyone know much about this type of metal?

My sister's engagement ring is palladium. Her fiance researches EVERYTHING and he found that palladium is similar to platinum in that it is very strong, but it keeps its color better than white gold, and its polish better than platinum. Her ring looks like a brand-new white gold ring all the time- it doesn't turn yellowy like white gold and it is very strong. From what I understand, though is that it still isn't very easy to find.

I've heard the same things as Kate. We saw palladium rings at a few stores (very small selection) and the color was very close to my platinum e-ring. I've heard the same benefits - don't need to polish or rhodium plate it like platinum and white gold respectively. I'd say go for it if you can find it. Its in the same family of metals as platinum, and not cheap, but definitely cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish kate View Post
My sister's engagement ring is palladium. Her fiance researches EVERYTHING and he found that palladium is similar to platinum in that it is very strong, but it keeps its color better than white gold, and its polish better than platinum. Her ring looks like a brand-new white gold ring all the time- it doesn't turn yellowy like white gold and it is very strong. From what I understand, though is that it still isn't very easy to find.
Hhhmmm.... sounds like a good find, though, if the jeweler in Ireland does happen to work with that metal. If the price is right .... I'll do some research and maybe go that route.

Thanks!

Here's some info I just found on Palladium, for anyone else who might be interested.

The current metal prices of gold and platinum are close to their all-time highest price levels. Palladium is the perfect choice if you were considering a platinum wedding ring, but didn’t want to spend quite that much money. In comparison, palladium is much less expensive per ounce than gold and platinum, and this makes palladium a very affordable alternative to platinum.
Palladium Characteristics
Palladium is a metal that is part of the family of Platinum Group Metals found on the periodic table of elements (symbol Pd). Just like platinum, palladium is a naturally white and strong metal. It is 30 times more rare than gold. Palladium offers all of the same benefits as platinum, except it is about 40% lighter than platinum, and therefore, it is much less expensive than platinum. Palladium weighs about the same as 14kt. gold. It is actually whiter than platinum and it is 12.6% harder than platinum. As with platinum, palladium rings will scratch when worn daily, but the white color of the metal will never fade, and the metal will not tarnish.

If you take into consideration the positive attributes of palladium, and the lower cost in comparison to platinum, you might conclude that it’s the best white metal choice for your wedding ring selection. In the upcoming months you will hear similar raves from many of the top designers in the jewelry industry. This is not a fad metal that has no value. Palladium is one of the rarest and most precious metals on earth, and we believe it’s popularity will be long lived, as long as the increasing demand doesn’t cause the metal price to escalate.
You can be one of the first in your circle of friends to own a wedding band in palladium. Don’t wait until it becomes so popular that the price for this metal skyrockets!
Benefits of Palladium over White Gold
The 2 biggest negatives of white gold are the color and the nickel content. As you may know, pure gold is a very yellow metal, but when it is mixed with other alloys, it can have a fairly white appearance, hence, the term white gold. White gold actually has a slightly yellowish tint and white gold jewelry requires rhodium plating to make it look bright white. Rhodium is another Platinum Group Metal, and it is commonly used for plating white gold. The rhodium is what gives white gold it’s super white appearance. Unfortunately, the rhodium plating wears off over time and your ring will need to be re-plated to keep it looking white. Palladium is a naturally white metal that does not require rhodium plating.

White gold contains a nickel alloy, which can have an adverse skin reaction in about 10% of the population. Palladium is completely hypo-allergenic.
Our palladium wedding bands are 95% pure with 5% ruthenium. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on our palladium wedding rings.
If you like platinum, but not the cost, then you will LOVE palladium!

My ring is palladium. It's a Scott Kay, who works extensively with palladium. You'd never be able to tell the difference from platinum except it is not as heavy and it's "harder" so it doesn't scratch as easily...both plusses in my book. Also it is naturally a white metal, (i.e. it is not altered chemically from yellow to white as is white gold), so it will never change color. It is in the platinum family, but it does not contain platinum, it is its own metal. Our jeweler recommended it highly...as she put it, "In God we trust, in man, not so much". (meaning...palladium is a white metal by "God" since that's how it's found in nature, where is white gold is white because man makes it white)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez0014 View Post
My fiance's wedding band is palladium. The band we had originally looked at was about 2k and the jeweler recommended palladium. it was a third of what we would have paid. I highly recommend it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan101207 View Post
My ring is palladium. It's a Scott Kay, who works extensively with palladium. You'd never be able to tell the difference from platinum except it is not as heavy and it's "harder" so it doesn't scratch as easily...both plusses in my book. Also it is naturally a white metal, (i.e. it is not altered chemically from yellow to white as is white gold), so it will never change color. It is in the platinum family, but it does not contain platinum, it is its own metal. Our jeweler recommended it highly...as she put it, "In God we trust, in man, not so much". (meaning...palladium is a white metal by "God" since that's how it's found in nature, where is white gold is white because man makes it white)
Awesome! I'm going to check out Scott Kay! I'm punp about the possibility of the same look with less money, etc!

• 5 months later...

bump.gif

Bumping this because we went and tried on wedding bands for my FI this weekend and we are considering buying him a palladium band. He doesn't like the idea of having to rhodium dip a white gold band. I am coming up with all sorts of sellers when I do a google search for men's palladium wedding bands, but does anybody have any recommendations of sellers? My FI wants a 4mm plain comfort fit palladium band, and I really didn't know anything about palladium until about a day ago. Any advice anybody can provide about reputable sellers would be fantastic! Thanks!

And Tami, thanks for the full rundown on palladium above!