Note to invited guests

Hi BDW Brides!

We are getting close to sending out our Save the Dates which are just a simple postcard that redirects guests to our wedding website for more information. I want to add a special note on our wedding website to our guests saying that we understand that its a lot to ask to attend a destination wedding and we dont want anyone to feel obligated to attend and would love for everyone to be there but we know thats not realistic etc.

Did any of you do something like this? And if so, do you have a sample of what you wrote that you'd be willing to share with me?

Anything at all you can share would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks!

Payge

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did things a little differently. First we sent out an email to everyone that we would have invited (Friends and Family) getting a feel for who would be interested in attending a Destination Wedding. This is the message that we noted that we don't expect everyone to show. ... after that we sent our another email with our wedding website to those that showed interest...

This is what I wrote:

Now, unfortunately, with such a plan we understand that the wedding will likely be a smaller event as many families will be unable to attend.  There are many reasons and believe me we understand them all too well.  We know that cost, lack of vacation days, previous engagements, other vacation plans, etc will all limit the number of attendees.

Let us finish by apologizing to those of you who will be unable to attend.  It was of course never our intention to exclude anyone from our big day.  However we have a dream to be married on a beach under the sun and we hope that you understand that is what we want to do.  We also hope that no one feels as though they will offend us if they are unable to attend.  On the contrary, we who hope we have not offended you.

Not sure if this helps you at all....but its a start :)

On our Save the Date, we wrote something along the lines of "Your gift to us is your presence, whether in person or in spirit."

On our invitations, we wrote "We understand that not everyone will be able to make it to Mexico to celebrate at the wedding with us, but we have invited you because it is important to us that we have your love, support and happiness as we begin our journey together as husband and wife." Then I also added the same phrase that was on the STD, above. Also, for the people that we knew were not coming when we sent the invitations (like our grandparents, etc.) we wrote them a separate card that said something along the lines of "We understand that you are not able to make it to the wedding, but we ask that you remember us on our big day and raise a pina colada in our honour!" (I don't have that one in front of me, but that's the gist of it from what I remember.

I tried to put a positive spin on it. It didn't matter to us why any of our guests are unable to come, just that we have their love and support! Which is what I tell people when they ask if we have registered...no we have not, all we need is your love and support!

It's hard because we, like Kassi22, want people to understand why we are getting married in Mexico. Not a lot of people do, I'm sure, they'll think it's personal. But we met in Mexico and there has never been any other way we imagined our big day!

Good luck!

Are you planning on doing an at home reception afterwards?  When we sent out save-the-dates, we had a note on our website saying "Because travel is not possible for everyone, we will be holding a reception back home after the wedding".  Even if you don't have a location or a date for the AHR yet, just knowing that there will be one takes a lot of the pressure off to travel for those who can't afford the money or time. 

Originally Posted by jello View Post

Are you planning on doing an at home reception afterwards?  When we sent out save-the-dates, we had a note on our website saying "Because travel is not possible for everyone, we will be holding a reception back home after the wedding".  Even if you don't have a location or a date for the AHR yet, just knowing that there will be one takes a lot of the pressure off to travel for those who can't afford the money or time. 

I want to do an AHR, but my Fiance refuses.  He said since we decided to spend the money for a destination wedding and since it is costing over $10,000 (because we have to pay for our children to come) that he doesn't want to spend the money for an AHR. I am a little bummed out, but I understand his point.

Here is what our website says:

We definitely look forward to sharing our special day with you in Los Cabos, Mexico! We understand this trip is a commitment and expense, and we realize not everyone will be able to make the trip. But we will know that your love is with us on our wedding day, nevertheless!

Our save the dates direct everyone to the website for information and we have that on the welcome page.

Originally Posted by Houstonnlh View Post

Here is what our website says:

We definitely look forward to sharing our special day with you in Los Cabos, Mexico! We understand this trip is a commitment and expense, and we realize not everyone will be able to make the trip. But we will know that your love is with us on our wedding day, nevertheless!

Our save the dates direct everyone to the website for information and we have that on the welcome page.

thank you!