Sewing my own OOT beach bags

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 agm04

• 548 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well ladies, I had something specific in mind for beach bags and couldn't find what I wanted, so...my dear friend and I will be sewing them ourselves!  Pretty sure we are insane, but we made a mock one with cheap fabric over the weekend and it turned out just fine.  All the materials should arrive this week and I'll be sure to post pictures when we get one done!

I have this really old mesh beach bag, and it's so great for keeping sand out that I wanted those for guests.  Couldn't find anything similar.  I ordered a massive roll of navy blue pet screen (which we've already cut to size because it was the first thing to come in).  I bought grosgrain fabric trim for stripes, and will use cotton rope for handles.  Forunately, we have plenty of time, so if we get tired of them we can take a few weeks off.

Wish us luck!

#2 Arch713

• 161 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Making your own bags sound wonderful! My mom makes her own bags and there is something said about the personalized and hand crafted bags vs. bought! 

While it will be a lot of work - I think if you can start early and get them done - you will be so glad you did.

Can't wait to see pictures! Good luck!

#3 agm04

• 548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thank you!  I think the personal touch will be nice.

#4 2012mrstobe

• 164 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Knowing that a love of love, blood, sweat and tears went into the bags will make them all that much more special for your guests! Can't wait to see them.

#5 cheflady

• 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

What a neat idea!

#6 agm04

• 548 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

Thanks guys!  I'm just waiting on one more thing to arrive in the mail so we can get started!  I can't wait to see how the first one turns out.  I will definitely post pics!

#7 brgephar

• 166 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

WOW You're brave! I'm sure they will be great though - can't wait to see pictures!

#8 agm04

• 548 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

We got one done last night!  I'm really happy with the way it came out.

#9 agm04

• 548 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Didn't mean to make it an attachment the first time!  I don't know how to rotate it - sorry!

#10 claire0701

• 187 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Oh my gosh they are fantastic! I'd say even better than bought bags and what a lovely touch for all your guests! Well done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users