Please Share your Engagement Stories!

Hi everyone! This is my first thread on this site as well. Has been so fun to read everyones unique proposal posts. Here is our proposal story:

My Partner and I built our relationship on Balboa Island CA. He lived there prior to meeting me at the Landmark Steakhouse in Corona Del Mar CA. Our first date was spent on Balboa Island at a restaurant called the Newport Landing. Since then, we spent everyday together. We spent an hour everday watching the sun go down and watching the boats pass by on the water. It was sort of a daily ritual for us. After two years, Trevor started to arrange plans with his parents to propose. Mind you, my father had been in the hospital for a few weeks and we were worried about his health and if he would be able to recover. My mind was panicked those few weeks. With my fathers situation, Trevor decided to ask my dad for his permission to marry me while he was in the hospital. With my father's approval, Trevor quickly purchased a ring and proceeded with the planning.

He decided to use his Family's Yacht for the proposal. He spent a full day painting a long banner with the words "Will you Marry Me Melody?" Funny story, he actually knocked himself out with the ceiling fan when trying to hang it up on the wall. Left him a big scar on his forhead for weeks.

One Sat Morning, Trevor took me to the mall, all while staying in contact with his parents who were already on the boat. He was pretty clever to get me out of the mall as he did and drove to balboa island. He sat me down at the harbor, and just as I sat down, the yacht passed by with the banner on it, his friend who came up running behind me yelled at me to turn around and when I did, Trevor was already on one knee with the ring. Everybody at the harbor started clapping and cheering and our friends were there as well. He pulled it off so well!!!!

To make the proposal even more perfect, my dad who was suppose to be in the hospital was waving to me on the boat. I was in tears! Come to find out, his surgery went perfectly well and he was restored to health. We cruised the harbor for a few hours. All the boat honked their horns and yelled congratulations. I felt so special! We had dinner with our family afterwards and were especially surprised by our gifts! Wedding bands for the both of us :)

Couldn't have been a better proposal. Feel that I'm the luckiest bride.

post-65791-138622448264_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! This is my first post as well and our proposal story:

My Partner and I built our relationship on Balboa Island CA. He lived there prior to meeting me at the Landmark Steakhouse in Corona Del Mar CA. Our first date was spent on Balboa Island at a restaurant called the Newport Landing. Since then, we spent everyday together. We spent an hour everday watching the sun go down and watching the boats pass by on the water. It was sort of a daily ritual for us. After two years, Trevor started to arrange plans with his parents to propose. Mind you, my father had been in the hospital for a few weeks and we were worried about his health and if he would be able to recover. My mind was panicked those few weeks. With my fathers situation, Trevor decided to ask my dad for his permission to marry me while he was in the hospital. With my father's approval, Trevor quickly purchased a ring and proceeded with the planning.

He decided to use his Family's Yacht for the proposal. He spent a full day painting a long banner with the words "Will you Marry Me Melody?" Funny story, he actually knocked himself out with the ceiling fan when trying to hang it up on the wall. Left him a big scar on his forhead for weeks.

One Sat Morning, Trevor took me to the mall, all while staying in contact with his parents who were already on the boat. He was pretty clever to get me out of the mall as he did and drove to balboa island. He sat me down at the harbor, and just as I sat down, the yacht passed by with the banner on it, his friend who came up running behind me yelled at me to turn around and when I did, Trevor was already on one knee with the ring. Everybody at the harbor started clapping and cheering and our friends were there as well. He pulled it off so well!!!!

To make the proposal even more perfect, my dad who was suppose to be in the hospital was waving to me on the boat. I was in tears! Come to find out, his surgery went perfectly well and he was restored to health. We cruised the harbor for a few hours. All the boat honked their horns and yelled congratulations. I felt so special! We had dinner with our family afterwards and were especially surprised by our gifts! Wedding bands for the both of us :)

Couldn't have been a better proposal. Feel that I'm the luckiest bride.

post-65791-138622448284_thumb.jpg

Happy 2013 everyone!!

My fi tells this better than I do, so I'm posting up his story about how we met, and his surprise proposal to me (which he had filmed, the sneaky bugger =P).

It was a cool evening, the crisp air pressing against their faces as they ascended the subway stairs together emerging in the center of Dundas Square, the very place they had first met. Hand-in-hand, they walked together towards the stage unaware of the events that were about to unfold.

It had happened so suddenly, a camera flashed from somewhere behind. Spinning around, Lin noticed the first of her friends to arrive at the scene. It was not until she turned back and saw the ring is Brad's hand did she fully understand what was happening. 

"Lin..." he began.

"As you may know, I did instruct Ed to tell you that I have won a sweepstakes. And that I would need to come to Dundas square to redeem the grand prize.  I had selected my words carefully so that Ed would be telling as much of the truth as possible.  Although there was no sweepstakes, I am without a doubt one of the luckiest guys that I know. 

A little over a year ago, in this very spot, i had met the most wonderful person.  This sweet hearted girl with whom i had fell in love with, began filling my days with a radiant light, one that warms my very heart. 

So here I am, asking that very same girl a question.  I am asking her to allw me to take care of her, to keep her safe and to keep giving her joy and happiness for the rest of our lives, Lin, will you marry me?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsY-QJiMII&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My finace and I were definitely brought together by fate. It sounds cliche, but it really cannot be described any other way.

My Mom got remarried about 5 years ago to my step dad whom has been in my life since I was 18 y/o. I moved out shortly after they started dating, and came to a point where I needed better employment. I was miserable. My step dad had a friend that was looking for some office help, and I jumped at the opportunity. This "friend" was actually someone my step dad has known for years (he was his teacher in high school, and they remained friends.) In fact, one of my parents first dates was at this "friends" wedding.... yep, that's right. So I went for an interview with the owner of the company, got the job, and met my now fiance, on my first day of employment. Lol. What are the chances that my Mom meets her husband, and marries... and then I meet someone through her husband, who I would have never met otherwise, and we are now set to be married in November 2013 in Jamaica. I call it fate....

Our engagement story is short, but romantic.

We went on vacation last May for a bit of a Euro-Trip. We really wanted to explore London, and then visit my grandparents in Spain. We arranged our trip to have a stop in Paris... turned our for only 1 day. We landed at 6am... and off we went. Dropped off our luggage, climbed the Eiffel Tower... that's right CLIMBED in 30+ degrees. Lol. Took a stroll down to the Pont des Artes (where all the locks are) and put our own engraved lock. Went to the louvre, went to eat, and then went to lie in the grass in front of the Eiffel Tower all lit up. Now, if I was going to get engaged... at some point during this day is when I thought it would happen.... Nope. No ring. Lots of fun, and amazing (but long) day.... but no ring...

Of course, I was thinking, there's not a whole lot romantic about London... even the Royals have some crazy stories to tell that are anything but romantic....So there was no way he was going to propose there. And although Spain can be romantic, we were spending the week with my grandparents... and I knew he would prefer to have an intimate moment with me, rather then have my grandparents there for the proposal. So after Paris, I figured it just wasn't going to happen.

We had an amazing time in London, going different places everyday by Tube (and will always remember to "Mind the Gap" LOL), and then went to Alicante. We had a pretty laid back time there, going to the beach, and some market shopping, etc... no proposal.

On the last day of our trip, we went to the city (Alicante) as our flight was in the evening, so we spent the day at the Castillo de Santa Barbara (as my finace really enjoys visiting historical sites) with my grandparents, and kind of split up and started roaming around (it wasn't huge - and very old)... We climbed to the highest point of the castle, where when you looked one way it was all mountains, and the other way was a gorgeous beach, with yachts trailing the horizon. It was beautiful. Darcy pulled me aside, away from any crowds, and proposed. Can I tell you exactly what he said? No, I was pretty much balling. Ha ha!! But I'll never forget how I felt in that moment. And he was so precious, and so nervous... he was holding both my hands, and almost put the ring on my right hand.

And now I'll tell you, just for laughs, what we did next....

My grandmother was sitting at a little outdoor cafe (where we could see her from the top of the castle.) so we went to tell her the news, the best way I knew how. We approached her, and she started to tell me about some delicious pastry she had (Oh Nan.....) and I said "We just came from up there (pointing) and I found the most beautiful rock!"... "Oh yea?" she says, "Let me see...." So I held my left hand out to her, and she looked at the ring... and said "Oh... that's nice, you found that up there?".... (Oh Nan!!!!!) Yes, Darcy gave it to me.... She still didn't get it... NAN, we're engaged!! And then came the tears.... again. Lol.

Anyways, that's my engagement story. Atop a castle in the south of Spain. Simple, Romantic... perfect for us.

A few weeks ago, I was privileged to be a part of a wonderful marriage proposal. I was playing saxophone while my father was doing photography/videography. Have a look at the video yourself and let me know what you think guys.

If you like what you see and you have interest in our services, don't hesitate to shoot me an email at clarenceriley@emailaccount.com

You guys met on Xbox Live... That's awesome! I think that is very health for couples to share same interests. Most women hate when their husbands play video games but I think that's awesome because if you join him instead of complaining you will have fun together. I am a wedding photographer and my wife shares this passion with me. I could not imagine us together if she did not; we would get sick of each other fast! I really enjoyed your post... Congrats and all the best!

• 1 month later...

On our second date, i took the train to his area and had him pick me up at that train station; it was about 2 or 3 days after christmas so it was still freezing! When I got there, I remember receiving the biggest, warmest, most heart felt hug I have ever had. He was so glad to see me that I felt a little frightened myself (haha). Although not right there and then, that was also the day we shared our very first kiss, which made that day so special.

On October 6th, 2012, my fiance said that he needed to go pick up his car because it was at the mechanic. I had even tried to make up excuses not to go but he managed to convince and so we went on the journey. When we got there (the same train station that I happened to get that great hug from when we first started seeing each other), he asked if he could have a hug just like the one we shared that day. I said yes and he hugged me... really hard and for a long time. I managed to kind of get away after about 5 minutes and started to go up the stairs... He said "I love you so much, please never leave me. Will you marry me?" and at that point I didnt see that he was on his knee since I was on the stairs and all I said was of course, so calmly. I thought he was talking about marriage like we had before. He had the ring out too but I was so focused on looking into his eyes and telling him I would marry him that I completely missed that too. The poor guy was staring at me so confused because he was expecting me to cry and be so emotional (yup he knows me).. He said "hmm ok so can I have your hand?" and that was when I FINALLY looked down and saw the most beautiful ring I have ever seen! I dont even remember saying yes. I just remember crying and him putting the ring on my finger and he was taking pictures of me while I was crying! 

At the time I thought that he needs to stop taking pictures because I was crying and  looked ridiculous and those would be ugly, but I love those pictures so much. He just thought of everything :)

Originally Posted by MelB2012 View Post

My finace and I were definitely brought together by fate. It sounds cliche, but it really cannot be described any other way.

My Mom got remarried about 5 years ago to my step dad whom has been in my life since I was 18 y/o. I moved out shortly after they started dating, and came to a point where I needed better employment. I was miserable. My step dad had a friend that was looking for some office help, and I jumped at the opportunity. This "friend" was actually someone my step dad has known for years (he was his teacher in high school, and they remained friends.) In fact, one of my parents first dates was at this "friends" wedding.... yep, that's right. So I went for an interview with the owner of the company, got the job, and met my now fiance, on my first day of employment. Lol. What are the chances that my Mom meets her husband, and marries... and then I meet someone through her husband, who I would have never met otherwise, and we are now set to be married in November 2013 in Jamaica. I call it fate....

Our engagement story is short, but romantic.

We went on vacation last May for a bit of a Euro-Trip. We really wanted to explore London, and then visit my grandparents in Spain. We arranged our trip to have a stop in Paris... turned our for only 1 day. We landed at 6am... and off we went. Dropped off our luggage, climbed the Eiffel Tower... that's right CLIMBED in 30+ degrees. Lol. Took a stroll down to the Pont des Artes (where all the locks are) and put our own engraved lock. Went to the louvre, went to eat, and then went to lie in the grass in front of the Eiffel Tower all lit up. Now, if I was going to get engaged... at some point during this day is when I thought it would happen.... Nope. No ring. Lots of fun, and amazing (but long) day.... but no ring...

Of course, I was thinking, there's not a whole lot romantic about London... even the Royals have some crazy stories to tell that are anything but romantic....So there was no way he was going to propose there. And although Spain can be romantic, we were spending the week with my grandparents... and I knew he would prefer to have an intimate moment with me, rather then have my grandparents there for the proposal. So after Paris, I figured it just wasn't going to happen.

We had an amazing time in London, going different places everyday by Tube (and will always remember to "Mind the Gap" LOL), and then went to Alicante. We had a pretty laid back time there, going to the beach, and some market shopping, etc... no proposal.

On the last day of our trip, we went to the city (Alicante) as our flight was in the evening, so we spent the day at the Castillo de Santa Barbara (as my finace really enjoys visiting historical sites) with my grandparents, and kind of split up and started roaming around (it wasn't huge - and very old)... We climbed to the highest point of the castle, where when you looked one way it was all mountains, and the other way was a gorgeous beach, with yachts trailing the horizon. It was beautiful. Darcy pulled me aside, away from any crowds, and proposed. Can I tell you exactly what he said? No, I was pretty much balling. Ha ha!! But I'll never forget how I felt in that moment. And he was so precious, and so nervous... he was holding both my hands, and almost put the ring on my right hand.

And now I'll tell you, just for laughs, what we did next....

My grandmother was sitting at a little outdoor cafe (where we could see her from the top of the castle.) so we went to tell her the news, the best way I knew how. We approached her, and she started to tell me about some delicious pastry she had (Oh Nan.....) and I said "We just came from up there (pointing) and I found the most beautiful rock!"... "Oh yea?" she says, "Let me see...." So I held my left hand out to her, and she looked at the ring... and said "Oh... that's nice, you found that up there?".... (Oh Nan!!!!!) Yes, Darcy gave it to me.... She still didn't get it... NAN, we're engaged!! And then came the tears.... again. Lol.

Anyways, that's my engagement story. Atop a castle in the south of Spain. Simple, Romantic... perfect for us.

lol oh this is such a lovely story! God bless.

• 1 month later...

My fiance, Adam, and I met through Match.com.  He was about 12 months back from a 9-month deployment tour in Afghanistan and I was getting back into dating after an abusive relationship and heart attack (yes - you read right, I had a heart attack at the age of 25).  When he messaged me, I almost ignored the message.  He lived in Oklahoma City and I am in Dallas.  That could never work; however, his message to me was worth at least a profile review.  All he asked was "what kind of bike is in your picture" and "when is your next race"?  At the time I was into Ironman racing (before my cardiac arrest).  After careful review of his pictures (not his profile), I decided to respond.  He had a picture with Goofy. Any man good enough to put a picture of him with Goofy on his profile is a man worth talking to.  So I messaged him back and we talked back and forth for almost a month before we agreed to meet.  I drove up to OKC because Toy Story 3 On Ice was performing at the State Fair so we decided that would be an amazing first date.  And it was everything a first date should be plus so much more!  I wanted to see more of him and spend more time with him but the Air Force was sending him to Japan for 2 weeks.  We agreed to have Skype dates and "see" each other as much as possible.

When he got back, that was the beginning of our relationship and we have been together ever since.  We have never lived in the same city as each other, we have never spent more than 14 consecutive days together due to our distance but we talk & chat 3-4 times per day and I wouldn't trade any of that for anything in the world.  Adam is my rock and truly my savior. 

He proposed at Disney World after the Marathon in January.  My family was there, as was his sister.  It was after dinner in Epcot.  My profile picture is him getting down on one knee.  I absolutely adore my man and couldn't imagine being with anyone better than he is.  He asked my dad and mom for permission.  He planned the whole proposal with my family and his since Thanksgiving.  It was very magical.  In my 18+ trips to Disney, I can easily say this was the best one yet!

We are getting married on April 25, 2014 - as long as war doesn't break out between now and then!  We are very excited to spend the rest of our lives together and cannot wait to start a new chapter in our book together!  :)