Any other 2014 brides here getting an early start?

beachbride14

We are getting married in June 2014. We have arranged site visits to Azul Beach, Azul Sensatori, Playacar Palace and Gran Porto Real for the first week in May. I am using a destination wedding planner who has been great about answering questions and scheduling the site visits. She's helped me with the wedding website and STD email design. By the time we get back from Cancun in May, we will be ready to send the STD emails. I'm going to also have STD magnets made to send in Sept and "real" invitations to send in January. My top choices are the 2 Azul resorts since both have the Sky Wedding option. I read through the Frugal Bride thread and got some great ideas for the OOT bags and decorations. Is anyone planning on bringing their own table linens and centerpieces? I feel somewhat under control since I've gotten a lot of info about everything including music (to DJ or not?) and photographers. I love this site!

Originally Posted by EilisOD View Post

Anyone getting married in gran Bahia principe tulum? I've emailed them around 10 days ago and am still waiting on a response! Anyone know what their prices are for next year and how long you waited for a response from the wc?

Hi, we are getting married at the Akumal resort in Jan 2014. We first emailed the resort back in Dec about reserving a wedding date and we only just heard back from them a couple of weeks ago. It takes them a while to reply because they have so much weddings going on all the time (plus I hear this time of year is esp busy!) I don't believe they have the package prices out yet, thats what Paloma told us in the email she sent a couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps! :)

I am more nervous about not being able to have the reception up on the Skyterrace if there happens to be a few weddings that day.  The entire reason I picked the hotel was to have the reception up on that beautiful rooftop so I would be devasated if that day there was multiple weddings and someone got it over me.  Ideally I want to have the cocktail hour on one side of the the terrace and then move over to have dinner and dancing on the other so I am being selfish wanting it all to myself. haha. We booked the 4:00 time.  I definitely agree about having it a bit early so the whole wedding isnt over so fast.  I have been to the Cancun area numerous times and the sun disapears behind the hotels long before the sun is even close to setting so I really wanted to make sure I got some beach photos with the sun on the water making it that beautiful turquise color.  Once the sun goes away the water looks dark and not as spectacular.  The sun sets around 7:00 in May so I think 4:00 will be enough time to get the ceremony done and pop down for beach photos. As for room prices I am not sure what it works out too per night because our package price was all included together (rooms/flghts combined).  Our travel agent has booked our wedding group with Sunwing Vacations here in Canada and I have paid a $400 deposit (for bride and groom) to lock in the price for up to 30 guests.  The guests have 60 days to pay their own $200 deposit which confirms their booking.  After that they have until 90 days prior to departure to pay the remainder.  My fiance and I are not paying anything for our guests as it is just not something we are able to do financially on top of paying for a wedding.  Atleast they have nearly an entire year to save up and pay the remainder of the trip which makes things a bit easier I would think. Our Sunwing quote priced out the packages starting at $1598.00 (canadian) + $190 tax which included a double occupancy resort view room for 7 nights, all inclusive food/drink package, round trip flights calgary to cancun, in country transportation to/from airport.  The ocean view rooms are about 1778+tax i think.  The flight schedules are not out yet so there is a bit of risk that the Sunwing flights might not be too great, but Sunwing has their own airplanes and I am pretty sure all flights are non-stop, so I think we will be okay.
I hear you completely, we booked it for the roof top too, it's so annoying you can't secure it on the day of booking. I guess every bride feels the same way though so hopefully something can be worked out so long as you don't have any bridezillas sharing your day. I also worry about seeing other weddings on my wedding day, I don't want to feel like I'm on a conveyer belt ha. Glad we thought the same about the 4pm slot, do you have a photographer in mind yet? Again there seems to be so many options and none of them are cheap! I converted your Canadian $ price, if I can get a similar quote for my £ I will be happy as it's about what we've told people as an estimate. Like you, we can't afford to pay for people to attend but are hoping most will treat it as their yearly holiday and then we get all our guests there. I think if we don't make the 75 room nights we will take advantage of the dinner included in our package and find a place to chill out with our guests as it will be a far more intimate wedding. Sorry to be nosey, you're a little further ahead of me with the planning so I'm intrigued; have you had many people pay their deposits yet, and have you had any guests you thought were guarantees who are not so definite now the time has come to pay? That's my biggest worry for now and making it difficult to budget. I have asked our friends to be honest and if they can't come, it's absolutely no problem, but could they let me know early? So far everyone is still on board but I am braced for drop outs. Thanks for your help!

Hi, we are getting married at the Akumal resort in Jan 2014. We first emailed the resort back in Dec about reserving a wedding date and we only just heard back from them a couple of weeks ago. It takes them a while to reply because they have so much weddings going on all the time (plus I hear this time of year is esp busy!) I don't believe they have the package prices out yet, thats what Paloma told us in the email she sent a couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps! :)
Were you not stressed waiting so long for a response? I'm just worried as I've already booked my holiday from the UK, and have a fee guests who are booking

Originally Posted by EilisOD View Post

Posted that without finishing my sentence!....few guests who want to get booked but I can't tell them a date!

Anyway, good luck with your planning, and thank you for responding :-)

Hi! Ya, it was pretty stressful for awhile there, lol! We did''t have a date confirmed yet either when we sent out invites. What we did is we picked a date right in the middle of the week that we were booked for and crossed our fingers that the date was free. Thank god it was free so we didn't have to change anything. But if our date was not available then we were prepared mentally for having to send an email out to our guests saying that the actual wedding date has changed by a day or so. If you have to do that guests should be ok with it since they should have been told by the TA when they booked that even the flight schedules are known to change by a day or 2 either way. Thanks and good luck with your planning too!! :)