holiday recipe swap

NABUMBAH

any of you want to swap favorite holiday recipes?

I'll start. I made this chowder last night to serve for dinner for my girlfriends tonight.

shrimp, corn and roasted chili chowder

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped

2 large poblano chilies,* seeded, chopped (I used a combo of anaheim chilies, red bell pepper, pastisas chili. I roasted all of them prior to chopping and adding to my soup.)

2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn

1 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed

2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth

1 cup whipping cream (I subbed Nonfat half and half for the cream to reduce calories & fat)

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped

6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Mix 2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.

Finely chop onion and celery in processor. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-celery mixture and chilies; sauté until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 5 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Whisk in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add shrimp and 4 tablespoons cilantro; simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.

* Fresh green chilies, often called pasillas; available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Makes 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.

This turned out great and was very easy. I am serving it tonight with crusty sourdough, and caesar salad. For dessert, I made a pumpkin cream cheese pie. I'll post that recipe next.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie

8 oz. softened cream cheese ( used lowfat)

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 c. sugar

1 egg

1 deep 9" unbaked pie shell (I have been known to use graham cracker, and it's good, but the regular is also good)

Mix above ingredients (except pie shell) well and spread on bottom of unbaked pie shell.

Then combine:

1 and 1/4 c. canned pumpkin

1 tsp. cinnamon

dash of salt

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg (I just use pumpkin pie spice )

2 beaten eggs

1 c. evaporated milk

Mix well. Carefully pour over cheese mixture. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 65-70 minutes. Garnish with halved pecans if desired.

this was also really easy to make, and tastes delicious.

Pumpkin Pie Crumble Cake

1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature

4 large eggs

2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin

1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, chilled

1 cup chopped pecans

Whipped cream for garnish

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.

Lightly grease a 13- by 9-inch baking pan with solid vegetable shortening,

then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

Measure out 1 cup of the cake mix and reserve for the topping. Place the

remaining cake mix, the butter, and 1 egg in a large mixing bowl. Blend

with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 1 minute. Using

your fingertips, press the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan so

that it reaches the sides of the pan. Set the pan aside.

For the filling, place the pumpkin, evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, remaining

3 eggs, and cinnamon in the same large mixing bowl used to prepare the

batter and with the same beaters (no need to clean either), blend on low

speed until combined, 30 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to medium and

beat until the mixture lightens in color and texture, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Pour the filling over the crust in the pan, spreading to the sides of the

pan with a rubber spatula. Set the pan aside.

For the topping, place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, the chilled butter, and

the reserved cake mix in a clean medium-size mixing bowl. Rinse and dry the

beaters. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined and

crumbly, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stop the machine and stir in the pecans.

Use your fingers to thoroughly knead the pecans into the topping mixture.

Distribute the topping evenly over the filling mixture. Place the pan in

the oven.

Bake the cake until the center no longer jiggles when you shake the pan and

the pecans on top have browned, 70 to 75 minutes. Remove the pan from the

oven and let cool slightly on a wire rack, 20 minutes.

Cut the cake into squares and serve with whipped cream on top.

Yield: 18 - 20 servings.

Store covered in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up

to 1 week.

I make this every Thanksgiving, and it's pretty much replaced pumpkin pie in this house now. We really love it. It's time consuming, but so worth it.

Really quick and easy... I will actually make these in the morning for Jason to take to the office with him the Monday before Thanksgiving, everybody loves them, and they are REALLY moist.

Weight Watchers 2 Point each- Pumpkin Muffins

1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix

15 ounces pumpkin

1 cup water

Mix all ingredients in mixer.

makes 24 muffins.

cook for 20-25min at 350 degrees.

They will be very moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABUMBAH View Post
any of you want to swap favorite holiday recipes?

I'll start. I made this chowder last night to serve for dinner for my girlfriends tonight.

shrimp, corn and roasted chili chowder
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
2 large poblano chilies,* seeded, chopped (I used a combo of anaheim chilies, red bell pepper, pastisas chili. I roasted all of them prior to chopping and adding to my soup.)
2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
1 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream (I subbed Nonfat half and half for the cream to reduce calories & fat)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Mix 2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.

Finely chop onion and celery in processor. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-celery mixture and chilies; sauté until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 5 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Whisk in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add shrimp and 4 tablespoons cilantro; simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.

* Fresh green chilies, often called pasillas; available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Makes 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.

This turned out great and was very easy. I am serving it tonight with crusty sourdough, and caesar salad. For dessert, I made a pumpkin cream cheese pie. I'll post that recipe next.
yummmmm! If I lived in SoCal I would totally invite myself over for dinner :)

I like to make this for jewish holidays.

1 cup dry red wine

1 cup canned beef or chicken broth

1/2 cup frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrate, thawed

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 large onion, sliced

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

1 4-pound trimmed flat-cut brisket

12 ounces medium portobello mushrooms, dark gills scraped away, caps thinly sliced

1 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)

Preheat oven to 300°F. Whisk wine, broth, cranberry concentrate and flour to blend in medium bowl; pour into 15 x 10 x 2-inch roasting pan. Mix in onion, garlic and rosemary. Sprinkle brisket on all sides with salt and pepper. Place brisket, fat side up, in roasting pan. Spoon some of wine mixture over. Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty foil.

Bake brisket until very tender, basting with pan juices every hour, about 3 1/2 hours. Transfer brisket to plate; cool 1 hour at room temperature. Thinly slice brisket across grain. Arrange slices in pan with sauce, overlapping slices slightly. (Brisket can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place mushrooms and cranberries in sauce around brisket. Cover pan with foil. Bake until mushrooms are tender and brisket is heated through, about 30 minutes (40 minutes if brisket has been refrigerated).

Transfer sliced brisket and sauce to platter and serve.

Serves 8.

Bon Appétit

December 1998