holiday recipe swap

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
  • VIP Member
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

any of you want to swap favorite holiday recipes?

I'll start. I made this chowder last night to serve for dinner for my girlfriends tonight.

shrimp, corn and roasted chili chowder
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
    2 large poblano chilies,* seeded, chopped (I used a combo of anaheim chilies, red bell pepper, pastisas chili. I roasted all of them prior to chopping and adding to my soup.)
    2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
    1 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
    2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
    1 cup whipping cream (I subbed Nonfat half and half for the cream to reduce calories & fat)
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
    6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Mix 2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.

Finely chop onion and celery in processor. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-celery mixture and chilies; saut© until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 5 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Whisk in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add shrimp and 4 tablespoons cilantro; simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.

* Fresh green chilies, often called pasillas; available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Makes 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.

This turned out great and was very easy. I am serving it tonight with crusty sourdough, and caesar salad. For dessert, I made a pumpkin cream cheese pie. I'll post that recipe next.

#2 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
    • VIP Member
    • 931 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie

8 oz. softened cream cheese ( used lowfat)
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1/4 c. sugar
      1 egg
      1 deep 9" unbaked pie shell (I have been known to use graham cracker, and it's good, but the regular is also good)

Mix above ingredients (except pie shell) well and spread on bottom of unbaked pie shell.

Then combine:
      1 and 1/4 c. canned pumpkin
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      dash of salt
      1/2 c. sugar
      1/4 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg (I just use pumpkin pie spice )
      2 beaten eggs
      1 c. evaporated milk

Mix well. Carefully pour over cheese mixture. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 65-70 minutes. Garnish with halved pecans if desired.

this was also really easy to make, and tastes delicious.

#3 Jackie

Jackie
      • 2,290 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Wow you are quick!!! OK give me a couple of weeks and I'm sure I will be in the baking spirit and ready to swap recipes. I cant cook but I love baking. That pumpkin Cream Cheese pie sounds delicious.
        My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
        http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#4 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
        • 550 posts
        • Wedding Date:June 23, 2007
        • Wedding Location:RIU Cabo
        • LocationCharlotte

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Pumpkin Pie Crumble Cake

1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
        8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
        4 large eggs
        2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin
        1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
        1 1/4 cups sugar
        2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
        4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, chilled
        1 cup chopped pecans
        Whipped cream for garnish

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
        Lightly grease a 13- by 9-inch baking pan with solid vegetable shortening,
        then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.
        Measure out 1 cup of the cake mix and reserve for the topping. Place the
        remaining cake mix, the butter, and 1 egg in a large mixing bowl. Blend
        with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 1 minute. Using
        your fingertips, press the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan so
        that it reaches the sides of the pan. Set the pan aside.
        For the filling, place the pumpkin, evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, remaining
        3 eggs, and cinnamon in the same large mixing bowl used to prepare the
        batter and with the same beaters (no need to clean either), blend on low
        speed until combined, 30 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to medium and
        beat until the mixture lightens in color and texture, 1 to 2 minutes more.
        Pour the filling over the crust in the pan, spreading to the sides of the
        pan with a rubber spatula. Set the pan aside.
        For the topping, place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, the chilled butter, and
        the reserved cake mix in a clean medium-size mixing bowl. Rinse and dry the
        beaters. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined and
        crumbly, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stop the machine and stir in the pecans.
        Use your fingers to thoroughly knead the pecans into the topping mixture.
        Distribute the topping evenly over the filling mixture. Place the pan in
        the oven.
        Bake the cake until the center no longer jiggles when you shake the pan and
        the pecans on top have browned, 70 to 75 minutes. Remove the pan from the
        oven and let cool slightly on a wire rack, 20 minutes.
        Cut the cake into squares and serve with whipped cream on top.
        Yield: 18 - 20 servings.
        Store covered in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up
        to 1 week.

I make this every Thanksgiving, and it's pretty much replaced pumpkin pie in this house now. We really love it. It's time consuming, but so worth it.
        Stephanie & Jason ~ RIU Palace ~ Cabo San Lucas
        June 23, 2007
        Visit our wedding slideshow Stephanie & Jason
        Photography by Jose "Pepe" Lima

#5 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
        • 550 posts
        • Wedding Date:June 23, 2007
        • Wedding Location:RIU Cabo
        • LocationCharlotte

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:03 PM

Really quick and easy... I will actually make these in the morning for Jason to take to the office with him the Monday before Thanksgiving, everybody loves them, and they are REALLY moist.

Weight Watchers 2 Point each- Pumpkin Muffins

1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix
        15 ounces pumpkin
        1 cup water

Mix all ingredients in mixer.
        makes 24 muffins.
        cook for 20-25min at 350 degrees.
        They will be very moist.
        Stephanie & Jason ~ RIU Palace ~ Cabo San Lucas
        June 23, 2007
        Visit our wedding slideshow Stephanie & Jason
        Photography by Jose "Pepe" Lima

#6 Janet

Janet
        • VIP Member
        • 7,459 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by NABUMBAH
          any of you want to swap favorite holiday recipes?

I'll start. I made this chowder last night to serve for dinner for my girlfriends tonight.

shrimp, corn and roasted chili chowder
          4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
          2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
          3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
          2 large poblano chilies,* seeded, chopped (I used a combo of anaheim chilies, red bell pepper, pastisas chili. I roasted all of them prior to chopping and adding to my soup.)
          2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
          1 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
          2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
          1 cup whipping cream (I subbed Nonfat half and half for the cream to reduce calories & fat)
          2 teaspoons sugar
          1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
          1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
          6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Mix 2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.

Finely chop onion and celery in processor. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-celery mixture and chilies; saut© until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 5 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Whisk in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add shrimp and 4 tablespoons cilantro; simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.

* Fresh green chilies, often called pasillas; available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Makes 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.

This turned out great and was very easy. I am serving it tonight with crusty sourdough, and caesar salad. For dessert, I made a pumpkin cream cheese pie. I'll post that recipe next.
          yummmmm! If I lived in SoCal I would totally invite myself over for dinner :)

#7 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
          • VIP Member
          • 931 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

the next time you're in our 'hood I'll definitely invite you!

#8 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

I like to make this for jewish holidays.

1 cup dry red wine
            1 cup canned beef or chicken broth
            1/2 cup frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrate, thawed
            1/4 cup all purpose flour
            1 large onion, sliced
            4 garlic cloves, chopped
            1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
            1 4-pound trimmed flat-cut brisket
            12 ounces medium portobello mushrooms, dark gills scraped away, caps thinly sliced
            1 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)

Preheat oven to 300°F. Whisk wine, broth, cranberry concentrate and flour to blend in medium bowl; pour into 15 x 10 x 2-inch roasting pan. Mix in onion, garlic and rosemary. Sprinkle brisket on all sides with salt and pepper. Place brisket, fat side up, in roasting pan. Spoon some of wine mixture over. Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty foil.
            Bake brisket until very tender, basting with pan juices every hour, about 3 1/2 hours. Transfer brisket to plate; cool 1 hour at room temperature. Thinly slice brisket across grain. Arrange slices in pan with sauce, overlapping slices slightly. (Brisket can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place mushrooms and cranberries in sauce around brisket. Cover pan with foil. Bake until mushrooms are tender and brisket is heated through, about 30 minutes (40 minutes if brisket has been refrigerated).

Transfer sliced brisket and sauce to platter and serve.

Serves 8.
            Bon App©tit
            December 1998

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
            Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
            Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#9 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
            • VIP Member
            • 931 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:10 AM

Tammy, that sounds DEVINE....

and the dinner tonight was a huge hit, and relatively easy. Highly recommended!

#10 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Umm yeah I have nothing to share, I hate cooking so Cain does it all.. Sorry girls..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users