November 2013 Brides

2bmrstremblay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaQtobe View Post

Started seriously packing today.  How overwhelming!  Our tumbler mugs don't stack overly well, so they are taking up a huge amount of space.  I've never had to pack for two weeks before.  I made a list so that is helping...

Any good tips from brides that are packed already?

Could you stuff things like clothes or bathing suits inside the cups and then stack them? That way all the space inside the cup is being used. Also, pack the heaviest things in your carry ons, and maybe even hang some extra clothes inside your wedding dress garment bag to make more room in the suitcases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHK View Post

Could you stuff things like clothes or bathing suits inside the cups and then stack them? That way all the space inside the cup is being used. Also, pack the heaviest things in your carry ons, and maybe even hang some extra clothes inside your wedding dress garment bag to make more room in the suitcases.

I suggested putting some clothes inside of the mugs and my fiance thought that was gross.  I'm the one in charge of packing though, so I could always do that if nothing fits.  I think I am more overwhelmed about forgetting something....!  But thanks for the advice.

I suggested putting some clothes inside of the mugs and my fiance thought that was gross.  I'm the one in charge of packing though, so I could always do that if nothing fits.  I think I am more overwhelmed about forgetting something....!  But thanks for the advice.
I don't think it's gross, people should be washing them before using them anyhow. And booze kills any sort of grossness anyhow! Haha Good luck with the packing! It will all turn out alright, it's just overwhelming when you think about it. Think of all the brides that have miraculously lugged a TON of stuff down here, including myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaQtobe View Post

Started seriously packing today.  How overwhelming!  Our tumbler mugs don't stack overly well, so they are taking up a huge amount of space.  I've never had to pack for two weeks before.  I made a list so that is helping...

Any good tips from brides that are packed already?

I packed all my cups into a carry on and am having my parents take it as one of their carry on pieces.  My mom packs pretty light so it works out well for us.  Maybe there is someone travelling with you that could take and extra carry on bag?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha2 View Post

I packed all my cups into a carry on and am having my parents take it as one of their carry on pieces.  My mom packs pretty light so it works out well for us.  Maybe there is someone travelling with you that could take and extra carry on bag?  

Unfortunately we are traveling alone.  We have to take everything.  :(

Dina, Any chance you can ship some things? Customs is going to try to rip you off. Make sure you have we're receipt. The max you are allowed to bring in without paying taxes is $300. I'm not sure how much the official tax rate is for everything above that. But they will try to rip you off, lie, etc... So do the research, being the receipts, and be prepared to be assertive (not aggressive). Good luck hon!

Unfortunately we are traveling alone.  We have to take everything.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminbride View Post

Dina,
Any chance you can ship some things? Customs is going to try to rip you off. Make sure you have we're receipt. The max you are allowed to bring in without paying taxes is $300.

I'm not sure how much the official tax rate is for everything above that. But they will try to rip you off, lie, etc... So do the research, being the receipts, and be prepared to be assertive (not aggressive).

Good luck hon!

Thanks for the advice about the receipts.  It's really not that much stuff, it's just these stupid cups take up so much space.  I will definitely be under $300 in "gifts".  The cups were only about 45$ and the BM gifts were a max of $200.  I don't expect that we will have any excess baggage... I think I am more stressed about actually packing everything and not forgetting anything.  I'm making a big deal out of something that I really shouldn't.  Just stressed all around.

Lastminbride: have you had a previous bad experience with customs?

Hi Dina,

Great to hear you are under $300 and that you'll take the receipts.  You'll be covered then.

I have not had a bad experience, but I know well how the customs officials work in Latin America.  Also, goods are sometimes more expensive there than that we find online here, and so they don't believe the price of things (specially those that come from the $ star).  If they see people with lots of baggage, they don't do the random check system (red/green light button - you'll see when you're there), they just pass you to inspection directly because it's likely you are brining in more than $300.  Without the receipts, they can assign any amount they want to your merchandise.

Anyway, good luck with the packing.  The list sounds like a great idea!

Sending good juju your way Dina!

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminbride View Post

Hi Dina,

Great to hear you are under $300 and that you'll take the receipts.  You'll be covered then.

I have not had a bad experience, but I know well how the customs officials work in Latin America.  Also, goods are sometimes more expensive there than that we find online here, and so they don't believe the price of things (specially those that come from the $ star).  If they see people with lots of baggage, they don't do the random check system (red/green light button - you'll see when you're there), they just pass you to inspection directly because it's likely you are brining in more than $300.  Without the receipts, they can assign any amount they want to your merchandise.

Anyway, good luck with the packing.  The list sounds like a great idea!

Sending good juju your way Dina!

H

What items are they focusing on? I'm assuming it doesn't include clothing, or else all of our wedding dresses would be over. Same goes for shoes, jewelry, accessories. I have receipts for the stuff we got for the OOT bags, except for now I see I may have lost a few dollar store receipts!