jburress21
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I am definitely trying this!

#132 GagirlRN2

GagirlRN2
    • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I was just wondering how you make the 12guage wire from bending some much once you get the name made?

#133 Kristen112808

Kristen112808
      • 169 posts
        • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

So cute!!  Amazing job!

#134 pmkaraan

pmkaraan
        • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Wow. These are amazing. I wish I could make them instead of ordering them!

#135 Dawn Grobe

Dawn Grobe
          • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by philanab 

Hello ladies, I love the custom wedding dress hangers and considered buying mine from etsy, but couldn't bring myself to pay $20+ knowing I could make it myself for only a few dollars each. A couple ladies asked for instructions on how I made mine, so here it goes, my first tutorial ever... Please let me know if you have any questions.

What you'll need:
            Wooden hangers (preferably without the wooden dowel) - bought on sale at Zellers
            12 guage aluminum wire - from Michaels in the jewelery section (3 yds is enough to make about 2 - 3 hangers)
            Wire cutters
            Lipgloss or something else round
            Paper and pencil
            Drill and some sort of glue (not pictured)
            Decorative flowers - from Michaels, or ribbon

First I had my fiancĀ© help me pull/break off the wooden dowels from all the hangers

Then drew a template by tracing the bottom edge of the hangers onto paper and drawing my letters to fit

Using the template start to shape your letters using your fingers. Make sure you leave enough straight wire at the beginning that the top of your first letter will not touch the bottom edge of the hanger. You may want to have some extra wire on the side to practice with, if you make a mistake on your project it is very hard to unbend and get the wire straight again.

Use the Lipgloss to wrap the wire around to make circular shapes

Leave enough straight wire at the end of your word that the top of your last letter does not touch the bottom of your hanger. Next you drill a tiny hole on each end of the inner side of the hanger. Cut the wire so it will fit in the holes and put a tiny bit of wood glue on the tip of the wire before putting it in the drilled hole.

Add your flower, these ones come with a sticky backing, or tie on a ribbon and voila! You're done, now make one for all the ladies in your wedding party.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and post pictures of your creations.

Have fun!

Thank you for this!!! Great job!

#136 Dawn Grobe

Dawn Grobe
            • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

My first attempt...not too shabby! I still have to drill holes and attach the wire (they're taped on now).Posted Image

#137 MK71809

MK71809
              • Site Supporter
              • 112 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

This is a fabulous tutorial! I can't wait 2 go 2 the store 2day, I'm gonna do a practice run n play around 2 start. So happy I found this :))

#138 Jess878

Jess878
                • 215 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Wish I would have seen this before I bought my hangers...

#139 heather1214

heather1214
                  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn Grobe 

My first attempt...not too shabby! I still have to drill holes and attach the wire (they're taped on now).

The hearts are very cute!! I didn't attempt them when I did mine, but it adds a nice touch!! It turned out great!

#140 philanab

philanab
                    • 178 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by GagirlRN2 

I was just wondering how you make the 12guage wire from bending some much once you get the name made?

You don't; you just have to be really delacate with them ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users