Turks and Caicos October 2012

JenRoseRDH

That was us! Ileana did such an amazing job with our pictures, I am so happy with the way they turned out! The Coral House was just insane, its so beautiful that its hard to take a bad picture there and the staff really spoiled us. 

I tried to look through my google docs but I cant find our original playlist list and I'm not sure how to share them from iTunes.  We listen to the laid back beach music station on Pandora a lot and got a lot of inspiration from there.  It changed a lot for us once we started listening to the order of things and so on. We had a good mix of beachy (but not Bob Marley ish) and regular songs that we like.  We completed it 2 days before we left... dont do that because it stressed me out to no end. :)  I did a lot of googling on how to make wedding playlists and there are so many helpful sites out there if you are willing to really put the time in and organize it.  If you are going to do the iPod route just make sure to do sound check so all the songs are the same volume and do a 5-10 second crossfade for dancing so there's no awkward pauses between the songs. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much! Here's the info on my dress:

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/53352/Tara-Keely-2155-Size-4.html

I'm so happy we kept it simple, our ceremony was about 10 minutes at the most and I would have been so upset dropping $$$ on the beach decor I was going back and forth about.  

Also, I just found out that our marriage is not legal in the US!!! Note to all you future brides out there: dont spend a fortune on a coordinator to take care of paperwork, pastor, FedExing documents back and forth when it wont be recognized here.  So bummed about this since EVERYONE I talked to said it would be legal here and I wouldnt have spent the extra money for basically nothing! 

turksbride12 - are you sure about the legality of the marriage? According to the State Department's website, "In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live." http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html I haven't heard of anyone not being recognized as having a legal marriage in the US. I have a couple of friends that were married at destination weddings and they didn't have any problems. What state are you in?

My friend from NY who got married there a month before us took her paperwork in and she was told it wasnt recognized here.  Our courthouse in PA is far from our house so I called to save myself a trip and the woman on the phone told me that we'd need to get married here.  Maybe I'll drive down this weekend and see what happens...? Keep you girls posted!

It is my understanding that as long as you have the official documentation from the country's government then that is all you need. Your state/county does not issue a marriage license because you did not marry there. Your official marriage documents are valid for tax purposes as well. The info is on the state department's website. just think of people who are from other countries that move to the United States and become citizens, they are not forced to get married here, they have already been legally married. You will have an official marriage license from Turks that carries the same weight as a marriage license from your state/city/county etc. don't stress about it, the federal government rules apply.

• 3 months later...

We had our perfect Grace Bay Club wedding and everything was just exactly as (or better than) I had imagined it. I would not have it any other way! Turks and Caicos was the perfect fit for us and our group. Not that we didn't have a few unexpected issues but nothing that took away from our day. Luise with Nila was fantastic and Shameka and Ajay with Grace Bay Club went above and beyond for us. I plan to do a thorough post eventually and reviews of our vendors but I just haven't made the time yet.

I just wanted to let you girls know that I have had NO issues whatsoever in changing my legal name and married status. We signed 4 marriage certificates at the ceremony and Pastor Colby notarized (sealed, whatever) 2 copies on the spot that we brought home with us. I took one to the DMV and got my new drivers license, carry permit and voter's registration and then went to the Social Security office and had my new card in the mail within the week.  Then it was just a matter of calls and faxes to everyone else with whatever they wanted. A few places I had to go in person with my documents but most I handled by phone and fax. Some wanted a copy of the certificate, some just wanted a copy of my new license. I have had no one question the validity of my certificate. The only thing I have not done yet is apply for a new passport. I am still waiting on the "official" certificate in the mail and will send that along with the paperwork just to be sure there is no problem or delay. Luise told me it usually takes about 6 weeks. It has been a bit over that but I am not concerned. Definitely check with your local regulations but here in Nashville, TN it has been no problem at all.