To Veil or not to Veil?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#101 EVKnowsitall

EVKnowsitall
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by JHo2013 

That cathedral length veil sounds beautiful! I really wanted one, but it didn't suit the dress - I ended up getting a 2 tiered raw edge walking length veil. It's very simple but I think it works. I was also considering a bird cage for pictures after but don't know if I wanted a head dress that distracting for all the pictures. I bought a hair flower with feathers and rhinestones but I don't think I'll use it after all, or maybe only where it for a little bit. Who knew hair pieces can be this confusing too!!

Haha seriously! Everything is confusing. Centerpieces, flowers, invitations, favors- its nuts! My friend planned her wedding in 5 months and that seems to be the way to go. She didn't think twice about anything, just picked and that was it. I've been engaged since November 2011 and second guessed and/or changed everything. We had everything set for a stateside wedding before we went destination! LOL 

My two older sisters have seen my frustration and craziness and one has decided to do a cruiseship wedding- only immediate family and the other asked for my help and I told her to not tell a single soul she is getting married, to book a modest venue, get her dress and everything else she needs without telling anyone, to invite everyone to the venue under the premise that it is a surprise engagement party- to have me or her husband to be send out the invites, and then surprise! She comes out in her white dress and its like "you're all here for my wedding." NO DRAMA, no bridal party, no second guessing. She isn't engaged yet so this plan could work lol, but they have been talking about it.

Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

#102 JHo2013

JHo2013
    • 109 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by EVKnowsitall 

Haha seriously! Everything is confusing. Centerpieces, flowers, invitations, favors- its nuts! My friend planned her wedding in 5 months and that seems to be the way to go. She didn't think twice about anything, just picked and that was it. I've been engaged since November 2011 and second guessed and/or changed everything. We had everything set for a stateside wedding before we went destination! LOL 

My two older sisters have seen my frustration and craziness and one has decided to do a cruiseship wedding- only immediate family and the other asked for my help and I told her to not tell a single soul she is getting married, to book a modest venue, get her dress and everything else she needs without telling anyone, to invite everyone to the venue under the premise that it is a surprise engagement party- to have me or her husband to be send out the invites, and then surprise! She comes out in her white dress and its like "you're all here for my wedding." NO DRAMA, no bridal party, no second guessing. She isn't engaged yet so this plan could work lol, but they have been talking about it.

I actually know a friend who went to a wedding like that - they thought they were going to an engagement party only to show up and 'Surprise! We're getting married today!!' How awesome is that. I'm not complaining about doing things they way I am though. I've been enjoying every moment of this wedding planning - even the stressful parts. But the most interesting thing from this whole process has been seeing the true colors of those around you. It's really amazing how generous and giving and loving some are, and then there are others who make it a point to make everything about them. haha

#103 EVKnowsitall

EVKnowsitall
      • 593 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

But the most interesting thing from this whole process has been seeing the true colors of those around you. It's really amazing how generous and giving and loving some are, and then there are others who make it a point to make everything about them. haha

Well put- so true. I was surprised also with the people who were the most generous. I expected my family to be the most supportive and its been some of our friends or my co-workers. Crazy!

Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

#104 soontobeawalsh

soontobeawalsh
        • 197 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 9, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Runaway Bay

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

That cathedral length veil sounds beautiful! I really wanted one, but it didn't suit the dress - I ended up getting a 2 tiered raw edge walking length veil. It's very simple but I think it works. I was also considering a bird cage for pictures after but don't know if I wanted a head dress that distracting for all the pictures. I bought a hair flower with feathers and rhinestones but I don't think I'll use it after all, or maybe only where it for a little bit. Who knew hair pieces can be this confusing too!!

I agree that hair pieces/veils are very confusing.  I am still trying to decide on what to do..I know I don't want a traditional veil, but I am undecided between a birdcage or fasinator or flower, or a combination of two.  I will probably wait until my dress comes in and then try on different things at the bridal store just so I can see what I like and don't like with my dress.  

#105 pzl101

pzl101
        • 281 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by soontobeawalsh 

I agree that hair pieces/veils are very confusing.  I am still trying to decide on what to do..I know I don't want a traditional veil, but I am undecided between a birdcage or fasinator or flower, or a combination of two.  I will probably wait until my dress comes in and then try on different things at the bridal store just so I can see what I like and don't like with my dress.  

good idea to try different kinds with your dress so you can see what goes with it.

i probably will not wear a veil but maybe tuck in a flower. good luck!

#106 dj3985

dj3985
          • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm having the same dilemma, i have short hair too.....hummmmmmmmm

try some on with ur dress, and go from there. thats what i plan to do.

#107 dj3985

dj3985
            • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

I decided to go with a bird cage veil

#108 LKocelko

LKocelko
              • 350 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

I went with one - it flew off the second I got to the end of the aisle! But I'm glad I have it, because we got cool pictures with it after. Plus it was only like $30 on Etsy.

#109 to-be-mrs-k

to-be-mrs-k
                • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

@LKocelko      

I love this picture!!!! This is one of the many reasons I want to wear a veil.... a beautiful picture by the ocean with my veil in the wind. You did it right!

#110 Recy

Recy
                  • 165 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yes I am also unsure about a veil. I definitely dont want it to be flying all over the place! I'll have to leep thw weights in mind If I decide yes. Has anyone else used weights? If so, what did you use?

"Make or accept no excuses. You are where you are today (and will be tomorrow) as a result of what you did or did not do yesterday."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users