Newly engaged...planning destination wedding...eeek

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ReginaB

ReginaB
  • Banned
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

My fiancee and I got engaged 3 weeks ago, and honestly, aside from setting a date (4/12/2012) and choosing the location (Key West), we really haven't done any other planning...just leaving in the moment and enjoying being engaged. I thought that maybe if I joined a forum, I'd be able to get some good idea, advice, and even get inspired to start planning. When I think about starting the planning, I have to admit I kinda feel overwhelmed and just want to look the other way. Any advice on where I should start?

#2 Arch713

Arch713
    • 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Congratulations on your engagement!

I am currently in the planning stage as well and can definitely feel your sense of being overwhelmed.

While I don't have my planning anywhere near complete - here is what has helped me so far!

- Stay organized. Find a notebook, binder, etc to keep all your ideas or places/sites that you want to check out later

- Use this site for information. Go through the planning threads and post wedding reviews to see what people liked and didn't. I did read a good review of a Key West wedding that looked wonderful! 

- Most wedding sites/books have a general timeframe with a suggestion of when things should be completed. Use this as a guide to focus on what needs to be done at that time. Thinking of having to do everything at once is overwhelming.

- Enjoy the time! While there is a lot of stuff to see, decide, etc - keep the fun! 

I'm sure the other brides/brides to be will have additional information for you!

Good Luck!

#3 FIFAbride

FIFAbride
      • 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Nice to meet you.  I have gotten countless ideas from this group.  I think you can get down to it fairly quickly since you already know what city you want to go to.  We did price checking at different hotels and resorts that met our needs and went from there.   Best of luck with your planning.  

#4 MelissaJamaica

MelissaJamaica
        • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hello

I am new to this website. We are getting married 12 12 12 at the Riu Ocho Rios Jamaica. Hello all! 

#5 ReginaB

ReginaB
          • Banned
          • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the great advice Arch713 & FIFAbride. I've started several spreadsheets already and found a great checklist. Another friend also pointed me toward theknot.com which had a great checklist with dates. How serious do I need to take those dates though? It seems I'm already overdue on several...according to them. Welcome, Melissa! Only a little ways yet to go...you must be getting so excited to near the end!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users