Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mkdela

Envelope Addressing Etiquette

Recommended Posts

I have a random question, I know that the "proper" etiquette for married couples is to address the invitation as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. But I have a weird feminist thing where I hate women being referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" and I want both first names to go on the envelope. I can't find a description of how to do this anywhere b/c I think it's not traditional (unless the wife has a different title like Dr. or something). So my question is, do I say, Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith? Or do I say, Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith? I guess they both look weird!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak27 View Post
If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.
Agreed, it totally depends on how formal you're trying to set the event too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.
That story is ridiculous!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't put Mr. & Mrs. on STDs either so this is just coming up now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with. The people that care for you and are happy for you won't really care if you make an etiquette faux pas, they will just be excited to receive your invitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

I'm putting The "Doe" Family on my STDs, and probably will for the invites as well. For the married couples w/o kids I think I am doing Mr. & Mrs. John Doe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • I know it is really tough job to get everything at best cost. I would like to suggest to contact local wedding planner or decorators to get the quotes. It will take some time but by comparing different quotes you will get the best package.
    • If you want to enjoy your wedding then go for a dance floor. It is a precious moment of your life and you should enjoy it.
    • As you have said it is going to be a beach wedding so I would recommend a combination of Calla Lily and Daffodil. You can also use Calla lily or Daffodil individually. Both the flowers have different colors so it will easily attract anyone.
    • Hello, we're butterfly farmers and pleased to be bringing eco-friendly butterfly releases back to destination weddings in Jamaica. Videos of our releases can be found here: https://youtu.be/LIzidGsR89o One love,   Nadine   Fruit Hill Butterfly Farm fruithillbutterflies.com 
    • I’m a wedding planner/organizer by profession. Truth be told, I don’t have that much experience in the industry but I’m doing the best I can. We will be working on a wedding next month with a foreign couple. I’m usually the one who handles everything on behalf of the bride during the day so I need some tips and advice on how to handle brides from foreign countries. Do they need special accommodations? What are the kinds of services they are used to when under pressure? What kind of snacks should I offer them during breaks or when they’re hungry? Thanks so much in advance.
  • Topics

×