Sign in to follow this  
mkdela

Envelope Addressing Etiquette

I have a random question, I know that the "proper" etiquette for married couples is to address the invitation as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. But I have a weird feminist thing where I hate women being referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" and I want both first names to go on the envelope. I can't find a description of how to do this anywhere b/c I think it's not traditional (unless the wife has a different title like Dr. or something). So my question is, do I say, Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith? Or do I say, Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith? I guess they both look weird!

I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak27 View Post
If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.
Agreed, it totally depends on how formal you're trying to set the event too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

That story is ridiculous!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't put Mr. & Mrs. on STDs either so this is just coming up now.

I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with. The people that care for you and are happy for you won't really care if you make an etiquette faux pas, they will just be excited to receive your invitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

I'm putting The "Doe" Family on my STDs, and probably will for the invites as well. For the married couples w/o kids I think I am doing Mr. & Mrs. John Doe.