Photo

Envelope Addressing Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mkdela

mkdela
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have a random question, I know that the "proper" etiquette for married couples is to address the invitation as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. But I have a weird feminist thing where I hate women being referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" and I want both first names to go on the envelope. I can't find a description of how to do this anywhere b/c I think it's not traditional (unless the wife has a different title like Dr. or something). So my question is, do I say, Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith? Or do I say, Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith? I guess they both look weird!
    KATHLEEN & COURTNEY 3/1/08

#2 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
    • VIP Member
    • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

My sister did hers as Mr. and Mrs. Smith if they were a couple and if they were dating or something she did Mr. John Smith and Miss Jane Doe.
      Make sense?

#3 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

#4 boscobel

boscobel
        • VIP Member
        • 24,213 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hmmm, since you are already being unconventional, perhaps you could jsut address them to - John & Jane Smith

#5 jak27

jak27
          • 715 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by jak27
              If you want to address them separately as individuals, use Mr. John A. Doe and Mrs. Jane A. Doe rather than Mr. and Mrs. John A. and Jane A. Doe. Make sense?

I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.

#7 jak27

jak27
              • 715 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Morgan
                I didn't put mr. & mrs. on the save the dates. I probably will for the formal invites.
                Agreed, it totally depends on how formal you're trying to set the event too!

#8 mkdela

mkdela
                • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Morgan
                  I would either do it this way or just drop mr & mrs. I also don't like Mrs. John Smith. It's like the woman no longer has any identity. I've had a women tell me her name was mrs. fred jones before when i was writting up a contract. I said "but what's your name." She repeated "mrs. fred jones." So i had to write "fred" where her name goes.

That story is ridiculous!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't put Mr. & Mrs. on STDs either so this is just coming up now.
                  KATHLEEN & COURTNEY 3/1/08

#9 CrystalVegas

CrystalVegas
                  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with. The people that care for you and are happy for you won't really care if you make an etiquette faux pas, they will just be excited to receive your invitation.

#10 beachbride08

beachbride08
                    • VIP Member
                    • 2,372 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by foxytv
                      I'm going to do the Mr & Mrs. John Doe unless its a family, then I'm just putting The Doe Family b/c since we're doing the Boarding Pass invites, there is no inner envelope for the first names. Hopefully that's not too bad of etiquette.

I'm putting The "Doe" Family on my STDs, and probably will for the invites as well. For the married couples w/o kids I think I am doing Mr. & Mrs. John Doe.
                      Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users