What is your budget for the dress?

I don't really have a budget. Personally, I would like to keep it under $2000 with alterations.. I asked my Fiance what he thought was reasonable and he said about double that.. (which shocked me!) but he has had to sit through 'say yes to the dress' and knows what dresses can go for. I honestly don't know how much they are (the ones I like anyways) as I have not start dress shopping, though I head out Monday for my first appointments. I think that unless I 'LOVE' and can't find anything similar I will spend as little as I can. I too can't see spending so much money on something I will wear for such little time. Though, I guess that could possible change once I start trying them on!

Seriously, what exactly is a sample?  I haven't actually went into any bridal stores yet.  I keep reading about "sample sales" but what is it, how do you find out about it, and do samples come in all different sizes?

I am guessing that samples are dresses they have in store that people have tried on and they want to sell them off? 

once you pick your dress (not during a sample sale), do they sell you the one you tried on (if it fit) or do they special order it for you and then do alterations if necessary?

Originally Posted by Chyna2012 View Post

Seriously, what exactly is a sample?  I haven't actually went into any bridal stores yet.  I keep reading about "sample sales" but what is it, how do you find out about it, and do samples come in all different sizes?

I am guessing that samples are dresses they have in store that people have tried on and they want to sell them off? 

once you pick your dress (not during a sample sale), do they sell you the one you tried on (if it fit) or do they special order it for you and then do alterations if necessary?

Samples are the gowns that you try on.. usually at the end of the season, they sell those off (Basically, you buy the gown off the rack) They won't order it in, as that would be new.

If you can find a sample of a dress that isn't overlay popular (hasn't been tried on a lot, as they can get damaged) and can be altered to your size itâ€s a major score.

Sample dress are the ones already in the store for brides to try on to get a sense of how the dress will look on your body. Most boutiques will only have one size of a specific gown and typically a size 8, 10, 12 (bridal sizes on average are 1 to 2 sizes smaller than street sizes) and sometimes larger sizes are available to accomodate full figured brides, but unfortuntaley plus size are a more limited inveontry. 

Samples are usually sold to make room for new styles and can be discounted anywhere from 20% to 70% dependent on the age of the gown, popularity (or lack there of) and condition (rips, tears, stains missing buttons, broken zipper etc.).  Samples under 12-18 months old are typically not sold, since having them in the bridal boutique is the best form of marketing and generating salels, this is especailly true for poular gown.

Unless you are specifially buying a sample, you will receive a new dress for your wedding day + the cost of alterations.

I wanted to stay at or around $2000, and surprisingly the dress that I think is going to be "the one" is $1,060 ~ I'm pretty sure it's the first time in history that my "champagne taste on a beer budget" hasn't created an issue!!! Woo hoo!! 

Sounds like you all have found good deals!  I agree with the way one bride put it on this thread, it's your wedding day and although you should be budget savvy, you should feel like the princess you are on your wedding day even if it means going a bit over your budget.  I originally planned for $2,000 on a wedding gown, including alterations.  I went to Kleinfelds in NYC and found "the dress", but their price was $2,700 plus $850 alterations, and of course tax.  I was speaking to a co-worker, and she referred me to the store where she got her gown at a few months prior.  Turns out they were having a trunk sale, AND the state of NJ doesn't charge sales tax on wedding gowns.  To top it off, the dress shop alterations were only $350.  So, in the end I purchased the same dress and with alterations, and savings on sales tax I hit a total of $2,300.  Again, a bit over budget but well worth it.

I suggest looking for sample sales, trunk sales, and don't be afraid to negotiate.  You can work out good deals with the bridal boutiques if your bridesmaids and mother of groom, mother of bride all buy their dresses from the same store.  Also try to get your accessories - e.g. veil, shoes from them.  The more business you give them, the deeper discounts you'll get.  Good luck!

Sounds like many people got good deals and went under what they were planning to spend.  I hope to be so lucky, but i am terrible at negotiating.

I am going to be on the lookout for sample sales.

Is it okay if i try on a dress and it fits me well to offer to buy the one off the rack as a sample, or is that not proper etiquette?

Sounds like many people got good deals and went under what they were planning to spend.  I hope to be so lucky, but i am terrible at negotiating.

I am going to be on the lookout for sample sales.

Is it okay if i try on a dress and it fits me well to offer to buy the one off the rack as a sample, or is that not proper etiquette?Ther

You can definitely purchase a sample gown without there being a sample sale; there's nothing wrong with asking if you see something you love. Again, my sample was not part of a sale and I actually called around to get the best price on a sample. Just keep in mind the age of the style, dress condition, and your budget, as these will all be factors in whether or not they accept, counter or decline your offer.