Rant/Serious Question on Length of Trip

Ok- So I'm getting married on a Wednesday, and have suggested that people arrive on Saturday. I understand most people do a weekend wedding, but were doing it differently.  The thought was, that most of the places to stay are cheeper when you book 7 days. And since the cermeony is on a wednesday, then you have to be there until Thursday anyhow, and if your there until thursday you may as well stay until Saturday, assuming that our guests work mon-friday. Plus there are no flights tuesday and wednesday, so flying in the day before is a no-go. 

So now when talking to people they are coming on  a monday and then staying until friday- and that is throwing me for a loop- am I crazy or are they? We have events planed starting Saturday- although optional, we would like to share these things with our core friends and family. I feel like there is a bunch of resistance and I'm not sure why. Once they get there they will be so sad to leave- I just know it. 

Typing this all out makes me sound like a crazy bride, but I just don't get these people!

I wish there was a poll option because I would like to know if all of you are doing weekend weddings am I alone in having a weekend week?

I think a lot of brides having destination wedding choose a week day, because it is cheap to fly and the resort is cheaper.  We opted for a weekend wedding since some of guest have children that can't miss that much school. 

Some people can't afford a 7 day trip, or can't afford to miss that much work.  Most of our guests are staying 4 nights.  We are having our welcome dinner the night before the wedding, but most people are coming in the day before the welcome dinner. Which gives them one day to relax and unwind before jumping into wedding festivities.   

My wedding was on a Wednesday and I literally had people flying in the morning of the wedding.  There may be more things they have to juggle and if they prefer to fly in on a certain day, you shouldn't worry.  If they make it to pre-wedding festivities fine, but I wouldn't stress out the guests.  The most important event is the wedding so i would not pressure/question/or try to convince them to fly in/out on specific dates.  Just my thoughts..........They may want to get home to rest up before the work week starts or have comittments that weekend :)

Most of my guest are only coming for 4 nights as well. I chose to have my wedding on a Friday so they can make it a long weekend and only miss 3 days of work.

I'm not even worrying about the day we leave or the day we get married! If your guests really want to come, they will be there, regardless of when it is. We aren't giving our guests the option of going less than 7 days. Haha! With the exception of our best man, who MAY only come for 4 days because his wife will have to stay home with their newborn...but the cost of our 7 days is $1350 and the cost of 4 days is $1150...so why not just stay those extra 3 days?

I agree though, ultimately, its up to them...and as long as they are there for the wedding then it doesn't matter. Be thankful they are coming to celebrate with you! For your guests who come for 7...they will get treated with the activities you have planned! :)

Have fun! Don't stress! :) It will all work out.

I agree with monicak. Your wedding day is what really matters. Most people want to be able to choose their own how to spend their vacation time. Maybe they want to save their vacation days for another trip elsewhere, but they will stillbe sharing on your special day. So, if I were you I wouldn't put any pressure on them to arrive on a certain day and stay thru a certain day. I'm getting married on a Friday, and our most important guests arrive on Wednesday. The only thing we did ask was our parents and wedding attendants to arrive by Wednesday since their flight wouldn't be arriving until late afternoon and they need time to unwind, unpack etc. Thursday is our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner (only for immediate family and wedding party), we have a cocktail party for all the guests Thurs night after rehearsal dinner, and Friday is the wedding. Just have fun! Honestly you'll prob want all those people out of your hair if they're there all week!

Thanks girls for the input. It's always nice to hear an opinion from an outside perspective. I guess what annoys me is that it's some of my close family and two in the wedding party who are not coming in when we suggested. And will miss a whole day excurtion, so I won't even get to greet them until the evening when they come in. - we are planning to be pretty much doing nothing the day guests arrive- just so we can greet them. Other guests I'm not as bothered by, whenever they comes, they come. I didn't really think about being specific about when to arrive, we have been laid back, but inside I'm really hoping they enjoy the full week with us!! It's also great to know I'm not the only 7 day wedding trip person out there, we may be a minority but I'm not completely crazy and alone in this.