Legal marriage at home before DW Advice?

@@acw271011 the way I look at it, it is up to each couple to celebrate their day in the way they want it. It is whatever it means to them. For example, in my family, we celebrate Christmas Eve really big and Christmas Day is like eh. That is our personal choice and what works for us.  For me, the legal "ceremony" (which will just be me and him signing certificates on our couch with our minister friend) is all business/paperwork. The wedding is going to be when I go to the place I picked out with my friends and family, in my white dress and say my vows. That is the only date sticking out in my mind- the date that I am plastering on all my DIY stuff haha. Maybe we will chuckle at that legal day "anniversary"  in passing before we celebrate our real anniversary.  Most likely, it will just fade away just how I don't remember the date I signed papers to get my driver's license. In the end, I know that my FI and I and our families will honor our special day in the way we would like 

• Like 1

I had my civil/church ceremony just this past friday and it was intimate just our immediate family.  It was perfect and I'm glad I did it this way.  LIke everyone else doing it legal in Mexico was more work and money and my family understood that and actually they were glad that we decided to do it at our hometown church first.  One main factor for doing it at home was also so my fiance's father could attend as he will not be joining us in Mexico for health reasons.  Other family members from both sides who will not be with us in Cancun also got to attend the church ceremony and were glad to share in the day.  I didn't advertise it to everyone that's joining us in Cancun that we were getting married at home first but I also will not lie to them about it if asked I really don't think the friends and family I have would really care.  Both weddings are very real and will be celebrated full of love and happiness with all of our guests. This is what worked for my fiance and I and that's ok. Now only 8 more days until I'm off to Cancun!!!   :D

Congrats on becoming a Mrs!!!  All the best for a fabulous time in Mexico! You have to promise to post pics!!

• Like 1

@@NJBride2014 - Congrats on your church wedding! Cancun coming up....exciting!!! 

I agree that it's really up to everyone and how they choose to celebrate. This is why our legal ceremony will take place on our anniversary of being together - one less date to remember! lol But we will definitely acknowledge both dates. He doesn't worry so much about remembering the legal ceremony date and wants to just celebrate the day of the DW as this will be when the big celebration takes place. Both dates are important to me so I would like at least a little acknowledgement of our legal date - also another reason why we will do it on our anniversary....so HE can remember lol 

@@acw271011 the way I look at it, it is up to each couple to celebrate their day in the way they want it. It is whatever it means to them. For example, in my family, we celebrate Christmas Eve really big and Christmas Day is like eh. That is our personal choice and what works for us.  For me, the legal "ceremony" (which will just be me and him signing certificates on our couch with our minister friend) is all business/paperwork. The wedding is going to be when I go to the place I picked out with my friends and family, in my white dress and say my vows. That is the only date sticking out in my mind- the date that I am plastering on all my DIY stuff haha. Maybe we will chuckle at that legal day "anniversary"  in passing before we celebrate our real anniversary.  Most likely, it will just fade away just how I don't remember the date I signed papers to get my driver's license. In the end, I know that my FI and I and our families will honor our special day in the way we would like 

Honestly, I can't even recall the exact date we did the marriage paperwork back home unless I dig up my marriage certificate. And that was only a couple months ago!! On our anniversary, the only date we will remember is the wedding date and thats whats most important anyways! lol

• Like 1

I am agreement with most the ladies on here, the day you choose to celebrate is the day that is important. I see no harm in having a legal ceremony before or after, if it works best for you and your future husband.

it's funny, I love how this forum is so supportive. I went on another forum- can't remember which- but there was a DW posting about legal marriage at home vs other country and these ladies were going nuts about it- saying it's tacky, rude, can't call it a wedding, can't do first dance, cake, etc....

Was it the Wedding Planning Subreddit on Reddit? They are very anti-destination wedding over there and like to accuse those of us who choose destination weddings to be rude and inconsiderate for "expecting" our families to spend so much money to come to the wedding yadda yadda yadda... My FI and I come from different places and met on the other side of the planet. No matter what, our families will have to travel. You can fly to Mexico for the same price as flying within Canada, so why not?

• Like 2