Calgary 2013 Brides!

CourtBestBride

Originally Posted by KazMcG View Post

Hi!

I'm getting married at the Majestic Colonial Resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic on 17 May, 2013.

Beach wedding at 1pm, cruise up the Bavaro coast is set from 2-5pm (cocktail hour), dinner at 6.30-8pm and party after.

I sent out the save the dates in March/April, I just sent out my invitations last week (only because they are going to Ireland and beyond)

I have ordered my dress, bridesmaids dresses have been picked.

Favors havent been ordered, but we were going to get the travel mugs and other bits from Factory21 on ebay as well, but closer to the date so we know how many to order.  We have an RSVP date of March 1st to plan accordingly!

Hi!!

We're looking at booking this resort for October 2013, but haven't yet.  The travel group we're going through gave us a really high quote a few weeks ago, so we're going to try again in September for hopefully something not so high.  Do you mind if I ask who you went through to book it?

I'm worried I'm behind on sending out my save the dates, but seeing that you sent yours a little over a year in advance makes me feel a bit better about not doing it yet. What style are your STDs and Invites?

Thanks so much!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ladies, I am in Calgary and I am getting married in November 2013 in Cuba... dont know the resot or the exact date I just started to get some pricing for travel first I am concerned about the price that my guests will have to pay to come! I haev done/started nothing else I am feeling a little behind but also realize that I have lots and lots of time! I am excited about this site and now this thread... all the ideas!

Jolene028, do you have an idea of how much you would like guests to pay? I went to a destination wedding in Cuba last year, at the Iberostar Veradero, for about $1500pp after taxes (from Edmonton). I thought that was a really good price. The resort was AMAZING, and their wedding service was really well done!!

Be careful in Cuba, I went a second time that year to a 4 star and it was totally disgusting. I think it was the Barcelo Solymar & Arena Blancas. Read reviews because their stars don't really mean anything there. See if you know anyone whose gone to the resort you're chosing before you commit. 

And you have TONNES of time, don't worry about it!!!!! 

Originally Posted by jreist View Post

Jolene028, do you have an idea of how much you would like guests to pay? I went to a destination wedding in Cuba last year, at the Iberostar Veradero, for about $1500pp after taxes (from Edmonton). I thought that was a really good price. The resort was AMAZING, and their wedding service was really well done!!

Be careful in Cuba, I went a second time that year to a 4 star and it was totally disgusting. I think it was the Barcelo Solymar & Arena Blancas. Read reviews because their stars don't really mean anything there. See if you know anyone whose gone to the resort you're chosing before you commit. 

And you have TONNES of time, don't worry about it!!!!! 

The Iberostar Veradero is the one that I have been looking at and that is about where the price came in I thought it was a good price as well!!! And I know what you mean I have been to Cuba for a Destination Wedding and it was horrible!! Oh trust me I am on Trip Advisor constantly! LOL but I think the Iberostar will win it is also rated the #1 hotel in Veradero on Trip Advisor!!!

Aand thanks makes me feel better that someone else thinks that I have lots of time cheesy.gif

Originally Posted by S2BMrsJerace View Post

Hi!!

We're looking at booking this resort for October 2013, but haven't yet.  The travel group we're going through gave us a really high quote a few weeks ago, so we're going to try again in September for hopefully something not so high.  Do you mind if I ask who you went through to book it?

I'm worried I'm behind on sending out my save the dates, but seeing that you sent yours a little over a year in advance makes me feel a bit better about not doing it yet. What style are your STDs and Invites?

Thanks so much!

Hi!

We were quoted quite high in February as well (when we first started looking), but the price is averaging the same as most other 4-5 star resorts.  I made contact with a travel agent in Calgary and in Toronto (for people out east) and got the initial pricing from Canada and Ireland on facebook into the group I created for the wedding.  I used Co-op travel on 52nd NE (Sunridge area) and spoke with Cathe Smith.  My fiance, our 3 boys and I are booking separately.  We received 20,000 air miles from my fiances parents which will cover 4 return flights.  One of the boys will have to fly and stay with his grandparents or uncle because the resort wont allow us to have 5 in the room.  We are going for 15 days so it may mean convincing someone to stay longer!

I really only sent my save the dates out so early because most of my family is in Ireland, so I wanted to give them notice so they could plan and save.  I just sent a magnet with a picture of us (I hadnt found a design that I really liked so I just picked on of www.magnetstreet.com and rolled with it.  As for invites, I picked the 'love airways' invites off of the same website made a few changes but overall I love them (I am not DIY, especially with 3 little helpers - that dont help as much as confuse the situation!).

I have read so much on the Majestic Colonial and we knew right away that this was where we wanted to get married.  These forums are so helpful and I am getting so many good ideas.  You should check out the Majestic Colonial Brides group on facebook too. 

Have fun planning and if there is anything I can help you with please PM me!

Originally Posted by KazMcG View Post

Hi!

We were quoted quite high in February as well (when we first started looking), but the price is averaging the same as most other 4-5 star resorts.  I made contact with a travel agent in Calgary and in Toronto (for people out east) and got the initial pricing from Canada and Ireland on facebook into the group I created for the wedding.  I used Co-op travel on 52nd NE (Sunridge area) and spoke with Cathe Smith.  My fiance, our 3 boys and I are booking separately.  We received 20,000 air miles from my fiances parents which will cover 4 return flights.  One of the boys will have to fly and stay with his grandparents or uncle because the resort wont allow us to have 5 in the room.  We are going for 15 days so it may mean convincing someone to stay longer!

I really only sent my save the dates out so early because most of my family is in Ireland, so I wanted to give them notice so they could plan and save.  I just sent a magnet with a picture of us (I hadnt found a design that I really liked so I just picked on of www.magnetstreet.com and rolled with it.  As for invites, I picked the 'love airways' invites off of the same website made a few changes but overall I love them (I am not DIY, especially with 3 little helpers - that dont help as much as confuse the situation!).

I have read so much on the Majestic Colonial and we knew right away that this was where we wanted to get married.  These forums are so helpful and I am getting so many good ideas.  You should check out the Majestic Colonial Brides group on facebook too. 

Have fun planning and if there is anything I can help you with please PM me!

15 days I am seriously Jealous of that!

Originally Posted by jreist View Post

hehe I actually got engaged at the Iberostar Veradero too! I'm super jealous that you get to go there lol. It's a really great resort! 

You have made me feel so much better I think this is going to be it... I was waiting to hear back from the resort maybe I will send them another email! Thanks again! I think this thread will be my new favorite.

• 4 weeks later...