How big is your wedding??

I'm just wondering about how many people are you inviting (did you invite) to your DW? And how many are coming (or did come)?

Our guest list is growing like crazy!! We are at 135 ~ we know that a lot of guests won't be able to make it (great aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc.) but I feel like that is a huge guest list for a destination wedding and I'm kind of freaking out about how many people are actually going to attend doh.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LTLFAITHY

We also felt like our guest list was huge but decided to invite everyone knowing that we'd probably only get half. Well, we invited 120 people and are at 78 reservations! Who would have thought?? SO, I'd say be careful what you wish for. Luckily for us, we felt our list was truly the "cream of the crop" and we are thrilled to have people in our lives who love us so much that they wouldn't miss our wedding for the world. But, the downside of course is that now my little DW that I didn't have to plan has just become a full blown wedding that needs to be planned! Its pretty pricey after you hit that sweet spot of 30 people (depending on the hotel package) because we are now paying per head for what feels like everything!

haha. Oh well, life could be worse, right?

Mine is small. I am not inviting anyone in my family per my parents' request (oh drama). So I am just asking my parents and 3 siblings, none of whom have significant others. Then there is FI's family (he is an only child). We invited his grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins. We would be surprised if many - or any - come. We also invited friends.

So, our guess is that it will be about 15. I would love to have the number in the 20s, but as long as it is over 10, it is okay.

Originally Posted by Trace2013 View Post

Hi LTLFAITHY

We also felt like our guest list was huge but decided to invite everyone knowing that we'd probably only get half. Well, we invited 120 people and are at 78 reservations! Who would have thought?? SO, I'd say be careful what you wish for. Luckily for us, we felt our list was truly the "cream of the crop" and we are thrilled to have people in our lives who love us so much that they wouldn't miss our wedding for the world. But, the downside of course is that now my little DW that I didn't have to plan has just become a full blown wedding that needs to be planned! Its pretty pricey after you hit that sweet spot of 30 people (depending on the hotel package) because we are now paying per head for what feels like everything!

haha. Oh well, life could be worse, right?

OMG, this is going to make me sound like such a horrible person, but that is my biggest fear right now!! My fiance's family is huge, and as much as we would love to have them all at our wedding $$$ had a lot to do with our decision to have a destination wedding. We are guesstimating about 50 guests ~ our package includes the first 25 guests, so even at that number things are going to start adding up very quickly!! But your totally right ~ life could be worse!! 

Hey LTLFAITHY!

I live in Arizona also :) We are doing our destination wedding in the Dominican Republic, which we are expecting about 20-25 guests. Then when we get back we are doing a reception at Dolce Salon & Spa in Glendale, Arizona. That seemed to help with expenses a little! My FI's mom is doing the reception in AZ for us, but thats a thought!

oh dear! this is my biggest fear too! not to sound horrible, but everytime someone says they can't make it, inside i get a little happy. as much as i want everyone there, my little DW has blown up! invited 150, as we were thinking less than half will come. now i keep getting texts/calls/emails "hey we're def coming!"

but you're right! life could be much worse...more people to party with!!

I guess I'm just happy to hear that I'm not the only one feeling like this!!

My mom just doesn't seem to understand that the guest list for a DW doesn't really work the same way as a traditional wedding................................

We invited about 120 people and had 38 people actually come. About 10 months out, I was freaking out that we had so many people that said they were coming and wanted to bring a date (at one point, 72 people told us they were definitely coming)... when it came down to actually buying the plane ticket and paying for the room in full, guests started to pull out of coming down for our wedding. It was obviously a little upsetting having been to many of our guests' weddings (in much less fun locations and for only slightly less in cost, i might add). It also got upsetting when guests that told us they couldnt afford the trip, then proceeded to post on Facebook about trips they just booked to other locations. We even had some people book trips to tropical locations and even Mexico after they told us they couldnt go to our wedding because of cost. It's hard to not feel hurt that our wedding wasnt their priority, but we were very appreciative of the friends and family that could make the trip. Overall, do not worry that your wedding will be too big because of people verbally telling you they are coming. I got to the point where I wouldnt let myself get my hopes up until the guest bought a plane ticket and had been paid in full.