Secrets St James/Wild Orchid Weddings 2012/2013

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#141 muneera0302

muneera0302
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kristencanada 

I can post some pics in this forum of St James...it was gorgeous, there's honestly not much of a difference between Wild Orchid and St James except for the colours of the room pillows!!..I changed all decor to the purple dendrobiums because I do not like daisies or carnations (they just aren't really "me"), so here is the breakdown for them:

bouquet - $100.00

corsages (2) - $90.00 or $45 each

boutonnieres (2) - $50.00 or $25 each

cake flowers - $50.00

centrepieces - (3) - $225.00 or $75 each

for my ceremony I have a little logitech iPod dock that is quite loud so I am using that, but for the reception I am using my iPod, made a playlist and rented their sound system :)

i'm really nervous to get my pricing back since our bridal party is so large. would love to see any pics that you may have.

#142 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
    • 562 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
    • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by muneera0302 

i can't wait to see your set up. my fiance wants to have the ceremony by the casita but i'd rather the beach, just not sure how we are going to decorate all that :-). so i definitely can't wait to show him yours! I also want to wear heels but clearly that won't work on the beach lol we have a major height difference so guess i'll just be short on our ceremony pictures lol

How large is your bridal party?

Yeah we are doing everything on the beach. I asked FI if he wanted to have the reception in the ballroom instead when we heard that it costs $1000 to set up a dance floor on the sand, but he really wants to do the whole thing outside on the beach and I can't blame him. We were waffling over paying that crazy amount for a dance floor for 3 hours but since we want to do first, dance, father/daughter dance etc. we are just going to go for it. I will definitely share pics after our wedding!

We are each only having one person with us-- Best Man and Maid of Honor. I didn't want to have anyone because it was one of those things where I felt like if I asked one friend I'd have to ask 4, and then I thought we'd have a bunch of people standing up there with us and hardly anyone in the seats as guests. But FI was in his best friend's wedding as best man and really wanted him up there so we compromised with 1 each.

#143 muneera0302

muneera0302
    • 277 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yeah we are doing everything on the beach. I asked FI if he wanted to have the reception in the ballroom instead when we heard that it costs $1000 to set up a dance floor on the sand, but he really wants to do the whole thing outside on the beach and I can't blame him. We were waffling over paying that crazy amount for a dance floor for 3 hours but since we want to do first, dance, father/daughter dance etc. we are just going to go for it. I will definitely share pics after our wedding! We are each only having one person with us-- Best Man and Maid of Honor. I didn't want to have anyone because it was one of those things where I felt like if I asked one friend I'd have to ask 4, and then I thought we'd have a bunch of people standing up there with us and hardly anyone in the seats as guests. But FI was in his best friend's wedding as best man and really wanted him up there so we compromised with 1 each.

I completely understand. My line sisters and i are very close and I have a couple best friends as well. It'll def be beautiful and elegant with your party! And wow that's a lot for 3 hours. But def needed for the reception. Just sucks how much all these resorts nickel and dime us on everything! Lol

#144 krisf1986

krisf1986
      • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hey ladies! I am planning on getting married here next spring and I am just wondering about menu options. I looked at the website and it looks like there are only 3 options for reception dinner entrees....do you know if they will give other options at all? My fianc© us very picky and did not like the options shown lol

#145 krisf1986

krisf1986
        • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hey ladies! I am planning a wedding at secrets wild orchid next spring and was wondering if there are more menu items available for reception dinner? My fianc© is quite picky and did not like the 3 items posted in the website. Do you know if they will allow you more options?

#146 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
          • 562 posts
          • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
          • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by krisf1986 

Hey ladies! I am planning a wedding at secrets wild orchid next spring and was wondering if there are more menu items available for reception dinner? My fianc© is quite picky and did not like the 3 items posted in the website. Do you know if they will allow you more options?

Hi there,

From what I understand it sort of depends on how many guests you have. If you have less than 25 you can do a plated dinner but they make you choose only one protein (I believe.) If you have more than 25 you do a buffet and that offers more options. You can opt to pay extra for the plated dinner even if you have over 25 guests, but since it has more choices I don't know why you would! We're doing the buffet for our 35+ guests and I've typed out what that includes below. Though also the beauty of all inclusive means if someone doesn't like it, they can simply order room service or go to a restaurant after! Happy planning!

Starters:
          cream of mushroom soup
          selection of breads
          selection of salads and dressings
          cheese and fruit platters

Meat:
          roast rib eye with red wine sauce
          snapper fillet with caribbean coconut sauce
          chicken kebabs
          spicy jerk pork

Vegetables:
          vegetable medley
          roasted potatoes
          pumpkin rice

Dessert:
          wedding cake
          assorted desserts and pastries

#147 krisf1986

krisf1986
          • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I like the idea of a buffet! I like the selections also however I don't know yet how many guests will be attending. I'm just wondering if for the plated dinner you can choose something other than the options they have posted online. It looks like they have two spicy dishes and one seafood fish but I wonder if you can choose something different?

#148 krisf1986

krisf1986
            • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Also does the buffet cost extra? Or since you have more than 20 guests (which the package includes) do you have to pay extra for them?

#149 sec161

sec161
              • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Past and future brides-

I noticed on the site that Secrets wants you to arrive 3 BD early?  Is anyone doing this?  That's one of the resons we chose Jamaica, so we DON'T have to get there so early!  I think if I arrive Thursday for a Saturday wedding, Friday is more than ample time to make all the decisions and it covers the legal requirement of 24 hours...

#150 sec161

sec161
                • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sorry if I posted this 2x but I'm not sure if it worked the first try - still a newbie.

Past & Future Secrets WO/SJ brides - Did you or are you planning to arrive 3 BD early as the Secrets sites "suggests?"  Part of the reason we are getting married in Jamaica is the 24 hour rule.  Seems to me that arriving Thursday for a Saturday wedding allows plenty of time to pick the details.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users